It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why i think Xbox and XBL Rocks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Original Xbox

Title says it all folks, this will be my first thread since achieving the golden '20', i debated somewhat of what topic my first thread should consist of and seeing as though 'What to do in a Zombie Apocalypse' (Not titled as such) was already taken (and rather well done i might add by thelibra, www.abovetopsecret.com...) i had to think..

'What am i good at?'

It hit me, i play alot of Xbox in my spare time and i enjoy it so why not create a thread about something i love....

So, here i go..

Oh, one more thing, i know there are bound to be PS3 users here so please don't take this thread as an insult, this is merely my love of the console and not an attack on yours, so without further ado.. i present this...

The very first Xbox i owned was the original which was released in 2002, i only bought it because my friend had it and i had the PS2. I felt left out, it 'felt' (gameplay wise) pretty much the same except for that massive controller. I was used to the Playstation controller for so long it was (literally) difficult to get to grips with. This was a negative point in my eyes. I was disappointed with my buy, but content because i still had my PS2.....

The history of the original Xbox stems way before 2002 though, a team of four engineers employed by Micro$oft decided to make a console from a computer..

In 1998 four engineers from Microsoft’s DirectX team, Kevin Bachus, Seamus Blackley, Ted Hase and DirectX team leader Otto Berkes, disassembled some Dell laptop computers to construct a prototype Microsoft Windows-based video game console. The team hoped to create a console to compete with the Sony's coming soon PlayStation 2

DirectX may be familiar with more than a few computer literate people out there but for those of you who are not, DirectX is a pack of different application programming interfaces or API's, they are designed to run multimedia, video and gaming programs. Originally they were for PC, yes, but because of the Xbox's core structure resembling that of a PC, it was involved, infact, the Xbox was based on it..

During development, the original DirectX box name was shortened to Xbox. Microsoft’s marketing department did not like the Xbox name, and suggested many alternatives. During focus testing, the Xbox name was left on the list of possible names to demonstrate how unpopular the Xbox name would be with consumers. However, consumer testing revealed that Xbox was preferred by far over the other suggested names and “Xbox” became the official name of the product.

I remember at the time Playstation sounded soooo much cooler.... Reminiscing aside and moving on....

Xbox 360

Obviously the Xbox 360 is the successor to the original Xbox with far superior technology, quite a leap to be honest, probably worthy of a topic all on it's own in the science and tech forums, ahem.

The Xbox 360 was released in the USA and Canada on November 22, 2005.

The Xbox 360 was released on November 22, 2005, in the United States and Canada; December 2, 2005, in Europe and December 10, 2005, in Japan. It was later launched in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, and Russia. In its first year on the market, the system launched in 36 countries, more countries than any other console has launched in a single year

Since 2005 i've seen my friends abandon the console/s we grew up with in favour of this online play with Xbox Live (XBL)..

Online play you ask? Of course you don't ask, you are all well versed in etiquette, throw a dice before you speak dammit!!

XBL or Xbox Live is the medium in witch
you will participate in multiplayer mayhem.... and in time, XBL will be renowned worldwide, if it isn't already.

The only thing that's stopping it right now, or rather holding the fort... is PC

Cos everyone knows PC is hardcore.

My personal opinion
Xbox 360, since it was born, has evolved to a level beyond what could be dreamed, but it's limited.

Anyway Girls and Guys, i apologise if my first thread was crap and if i trailed off toward the end regarding info posts, constructive criticism is welcome.

Have fun...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I have owned more then 3 xbox's .

Average life span 3 months.

I found a guy who repairs xbox's , i've had to repair mine over 5 times. Because of how cheap they are made.

I do like Xbox LIve.

But when your a serious gamer . Xbox can't handle it

Ps3 can ,

No im not going to go buy a ps3.

Why ? Because of all the time and money i've invested in my peaice of crap box.

Now i spend my money on PC. Because really it is the Ultimate.

Screw xbox and everything it stands for

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I broke my first post
and i can't fix it...
Where it says from 2005 should be read as normal...hmmmm... mod fix please

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Screw Micro$oft more like, i'm the same dude, i'll stand by the box though, i have a gaming PC myself, can't beat a mouse and keyboard but my first online experience was Gears of War and you can't play that with an m+k

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yeah I am a user myself and I'll be the first to admit that the online of the xbox is superior but can't touch the PS3's hardware..... Welcome to ATS btw there are a few gamer threads around here you can search for if you're looking for some online ATS friends to play with on you console, have fun with your time here...
edit on 6-1-2012 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The new Xbox's (slim) are really good, had one since launch (been nearly 2 years) runs perfectly, no problems.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lBLaCkOuTl

I play xbox 360 on xbox live. It's fun, nuff said. Fair enough if you wana make a thread analysing why its good, but I think it's easier to just say it's really fun and then go play games instead of writing anymore
lol

Btw did you include you gamertag? Sorry I didn't read it all! Mines 'Lord Bertie' add me up pal

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
All the smug pc gamers, wait till the next gens come out next year, they will wipe the floor with the most powerful of pcs and have the better games life come in cycles

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Not really. Since when were consoles a medium for turning a profit for the consumer? It's not like you go over to a business and say 'hey, I'll design your website through my xbox for $800'.

At least computers are an asset.... not to mention the next generation games will be barely as strong as my current rig if the released specs are correct.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I gave up on PC gaming some time ago, when the family PC got Vista'd.
But that statement couldn't be further from the truth.

PC hard/software is constantly evolving wereas a console sit's and stagnates for 4-5 years or more.

Even if the console was more powerful than a PC on release it won't take long for the PC's to catch up and take over by miles.

I love my Xbox, I keep having to change the disc reader every 6 months or so but it does me fine.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Mine's xp BLaCkOuT qx, watch out for me geezer

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Couldn't agree more, the Xbox 360 as good as it is, will always remain, as good as it is.

But the topic of PC vs Consoles is... A new topic, maybe that will be my next thread

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GambitVII

I have powerful a powerfull desktop and laptop but I keep gaming for the Xbox prefer Xbox love and playing with my friends. I believe the next gen will be advanced enough to wipe the floor with pcs for at least 2 years and will have add ons like connect so will wait patiently

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lBLaCkOuTl

The XBL is better then the PSN, but over all since you dont have to pay for it does not really matter. And most people dont really care.

However hardware wise the PS3 is better and better built then the X box 360, I know they fixed some of the issues with the newer versions of the X boxes, but still when everybody that you know that has bought one has had a broken or a few broken ones like every couple of months...Then you really have problems, and some people don't have the money to just throw away on faulty and cheaply made game-systems.

And some even if they do have the money wont buy a new one just on principal alone. Really there is nothing wrong with the Xbox and especially the XBL...That is when you can actually play it and everything is working fine.

For me though no matter the console or PC game-machine it really is the games on it that sells it...And right now other then Gears of war 3, I cant think of one game that is not also on the PS3 or the PC that would make me buy another X box.

Really X box live is nice and all, but the system itself seems to be reaching its limits. This year or the next I don't see what game they can come out with which the PS3 or the PC can not only do, but do better.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The problem with PS3 is that many of the PS3 versions had problems. Bayonetta and COD to name a few.
Sure, COD runs 'fine' but 45 fps does not suffice for fast paced game-play.

Ultimately, gaming should of stuck with PC. We'd all have to spend less considering that we all would NEED a PC/laptop in some form or way. Instead, were all forced to get a PC + Consoles if we want to play games. Regardless of whether or not the PC purchased can play games or not.

Heres some hypothetical math
PC = $300 for casual
Console = $300ish
PC + 3 Consoles = $1200
Lets not even talk about games for each.

I bought games that barely came out for $5-10 in PC. While console games on sale are like $30 :/
Don't get me wrong, console gaming is great in it's own respect. Ive done console gaming strictly for 14 years. But I at least wasn't ignorant enough to deny the fact that PCs deliver the highest potential of gaming.
edit on 7-1-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The Xbox was a good console, it had "that" charm the PS2 and other unique consoles had in that era. It did everything it was designed to do and did it well. It performed to our expectations and desires. It did it's job.

When comparing the two competing consoles at that time though, the PS2 beat it hands down. The simple proof being that the Xbox has been cancelled and the PS2 still lives strong to this day. The PS2 truly was in a class of it's own. Xbox did nothing wrong though. Imo, it was due to the inexperience of the gaming scene and the paths leading to unknown territory from Microsofts behalf. How do you compete with a company (Sony) who's been dominating the gaming scene for years...

Moving onto this gen.

In the first couple years. The Xbox 360's build quality and life span was disgusting. The average life-span for an Xbox 360 was 3 months, and that's if you were lucky... This was due to rushed developing, building and shipping, all to beat the soon to come out Playstation 3. Microsoft really f#*&ed up here and quickly announced all Xbox 360 owners were to get an extra 3 years of warranty. Microsoft wanted a headstart on the next gen console sales. And let's be honest, despite the high rrod reports. There plan was a success.

The Playstation 3 then came out, and let's be honest here... at the beginning the PS3 initially was a media entertainment system. NOT a gaming console. There were very few exclusive games and the ones that did come out weren't appealing enough to steal away the gamers from Microsoft's clutches. Not to mention the shocking price tag the PS3 had. Ouch... i still remember the nights i had sobbing away on my pillow telling myself i would never be able to afford one. Anyway, enough of me... Right about this time, the Xbox was at it's peak. Sadly this is where things began to spiral out of control for Microsoft and their console.

As time passed, Sony picked up their game. The spirit of the PS2 began to shine through. Exclusives were being spat out at every direction. New IP's and fresh franchises (little big planet, heavy rain, uncharted etc...) began popping up out of nowhere and old-school franchises (metal gear solid 4, God of war etc) came back with a vengeance. Gamers noticed and began there march back to Sony and PS3. Thanks to the price cuts and increase in exclusive games and media dominance such as the Blu-ray. Sony were beginning to bite at the ankles of Microsoft. It was only a matter of time before they would surpass them.

Now we are here. Here in the now. Has the Playstation 3 surpassed the Xbox 360? It certainly has. I would even go so far as to say it's lapped the Xbox 360. Whilst Microsoft are trying their best to stay on par with the Playstations 3's recent success, things are not looking good for the Xbox 360. Kinect? Halo 17? No no no no no... Microsoft are either being very lazy or they're about to cancel yet another one of their consoles for their latest version. The Xbox 720 or whatever they're gonna call it. I call dibs the PS3 will still be in the limelight for another 10 years, and will still be going strong just like the PS2 is doing to this very day.

To the PC gamers. Yes the PC is superior in terms of graphics, and the ability to mod etc but consoles are the reason gaming is as big as it is today. There is no denying this. You can only call yourself a true gamer if you own and play a console.

I've owned and played extensively on all gaming systems, except the wii... I'm a hardcore gamer and the PS3 is for hardcore gamers who want fantastic games.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
i've had my xbox360 a few years now and it still runs smoothly.
as for xbox live, i think it has killed my enjoyment in some games.
rage , fairly good game but really short, whilst driving aroung i find a guy standing next to a manhole, i decide to explore this manhole but find out i have to buy content from xbox live to enter.
Didn't i already buy the damn FULL game. nearly every game we buy now will never be a full game.
this is the only thing that i hate about todays gaming but i hate it so damn much as it ruins so many good games.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more & I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 came out. Most peeps on xbox can't believe I'm a chick playing Halo and I really blow their minds if I share my age with them which is usually followed by the response of "I wish my mom was that cool.' lmao

Once a hardcore gamer, always a hardcore gamer. Age doesn't have much to do with it. It's how I get my cardio in heh

Yeah my first few xboxs couldn't handle how much I played but the last one has been running for many, many hours per day for years and is doing just fine. Made the addition of the Kinect this year and am amazed and the evolotion of gaming.

Waiting to get the Skyrim GOY edition, guess I'll break down and get MW3 as all my xbox live friends, including my die hard Halo peeps, are totally infatuated.

Speaking of xbox live friends- honestly some of the best friends I've ever made. A handful of them as you have to sift through a lot of idiots (espeically being a chick) to come across some 'normal' cool peeps. Several of these friends I've had for years & love em to death.

I've been on a lil xbox break so my friend list is not longer at it's max - add me if ya want: Wicked Pixie

Welcome to ATS & congrats on your first thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
All the smug pc gamers, wait till the next gens come out next year, they will wipe the floor with the most powerful of pcs and have the better games life come in cycles

No offense but you most truly know nothing about enthusiast pc's becuase thats so out of touch with reality its stupid.

The next generation will not even beat my current hardware. I have a i7-970 cpu and it has 6 cores and costs $650. I have dual GTX-580 gpu's and they cost $600 a piece. In comparison, a console is to a pc what a Honda Civic is to a Ferrari. So really I have to go no further in pointing out consoles can never match the power and performance of a enthusiast pc unless you are going to shell out $3000 for one.

Welcome to reality.

edit on 12-1-2012 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue

To the PC gamers. Yes the PC is superior in terms of graphics, and the ability to mod etc but consoles are the reason gaming is as big as it is today. There is no denying this. You can only call yourself a true gamer if you own and play a console.

Part truth and part BS.

Yes gaming is a big as it is now because of consoles but only becuase they are easy to afford and simple to use. As for only being able to call yourself a gamer if you own and play console, I say BS. PC's are the bedrock of the gaming world and consoles are its spawn.

There are no games that are console exclusive that will make me shed a tear for not being able to play it on my pc. Know why? Becuase if the game is that good some robin hood of pc modding will make it run on pc and pirates will download it for free. There is nothing PC cannot do that the consoles can.

join