It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK sends it's mightiest ship to take on Iran in the Gulf

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Hey no worries.

I thought I might add: I forgot to add on the UK's $60 billion budget and Israel's $14 billion. It's not looking good for Iran and right now the only possible beacon of hope on the horizon for them is if China steps in. But even then I don't think it would be too difficult given the fact their military equipment is about 20 years behind the US. The only thing they have going for them is their massive population, but that won't do much good without good equipment and training.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think we all know how capable the Royal Navy is. The Iranian Navy is um...meh. Its just terrible. The Iranians' naval record is abysmal. Worse even than their ground combat record,if it goes hot, a lot of Iran's sailors will get to meet their 72 virgins.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

What nonsense. China, the most prolific manufacturing nation on the planet, halted all production for military 20 years ago? Ah right, I guess that's why the X-37b is up there spying on Tiagong, because the US already know everything about Chinese military preparedness. Is the Chengdu J-20 2 decades old?
Production of Dongfeng missiles BEGAN 20 years ago. And even then they could reach 15,000 km with a large load on board and are capable of dispersing multiple nuclear warheads with their own propulsion and guidance. Yeah, real backwards tech. These have most likely been updated to JL-2's, but you wouldn't know that because China know how to keep a secret.

Regardless of the Chinese being far more advanced than you will admit, it's Russia you want to concern yourself with. You think after years of the U.S arming former Soviet and Eastern Bloc states with 'anti-missile' defenses, Russia aren't itching to take the smugness out of the U.S sails? Face it, whoever or however it kicks of off, you're up against some serious firepower on all sides. And yet, being a supporter of those marines, you think you're untouchable. Time to face off against a real superpower and shut you arrogant yanks up.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Sorry my comparisons were lame, I was just trying to get at the double standards that are being played out in this lead up to war. All because Iran is supposedly developing a nuclear bomb. The same weapon possessed by numerous other countries with questionable intent.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

You're silly.

Here’s what Chinese Gen. Liang Guanglie said about the PLA’s modernization at the annual Shangri-La Asian security summit, writes my old colleague Wendell Minnick at Defense News:
There is a 20-year gap between China and the U.S. military in equipment, weapons and systems, Chinese Defense Minister Gen. Liang Guanglie told the 10th Shangri-La Dialogue on June 5 in Singapore.
“I would call the gap big,” he said. Liang acknowledged that China’s military modernization has improved, but the “main battle equipment of our services … is mainly second-generation weapons.” China does not have a large arsenal of third-generation weapons, systems or platforms. “For example, the army is still being motorized, not mechanized,” he said.

Source

I don't know who to believe, a Chinese General...or you. You're giving me a very hard choice to make here, sir.

China is more of a threat than Russia, might I add. Contrary to your belief and obvious vast knowledge of military tech. Russia doesn't even have half of the Chinese budget.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak. ”
― Sun Tzu

The Chinese literally wrote the book on 'the art of war'...and you fall for it every time. So a Chinese General tells you 'we are weak'.... You can work out the rest for yourself.

As for Russia being less of a threat, I'll just say that time will tell. You can throw all the balance sheets and supposed knowledge of military equipment you like but in warfare nothing is transparent. Coming from a country who are reliant on Russia for manned space exploration.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
So the UK will now have the most advanced submarine in the world (HMS Astute) and the most advanced Destroyer in the world (HMS Daring) off the Straight of Homuoz. And people say that the Brits are a bankrupt nation falling to pieces

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Fair enough. Then I guess there is no way for you to know better than I, vice versa. Like you said, only time will tell. However, there is cause for concern with China's sub fleets.

I still have confidence in our military, though. If it is conventional warfare, we have the combat experience.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
reply to post by Pr0t0

Fair enough. Then I guess there is no way for you to know better than I, vice versa. Like you said, only time will tell. However, there is cause for concern with China's sub fleets.

I still have confidence in our military, though. If it is conventional warfare, we have the combat experience.

Well exactly. It wasn't so long ago there were rumours (confirmed?) of Chinese subs in the GOM and off the U.S. Pacific Coast.

The main problem here, and my biggest concern with any provocation, is that the last 'conventional' wars are being waged in the Middle-East right now. Once you start talking about war with other superpowers, convention flies out of the window and we start thinking about M.A.D. and an all out World War where Russia and China are supported from South America, North Africa, Middle East and Asia. There are two clear sides that have been shaped in the last 20 years, and the fact is that besides South Africa, Australia and the US the rest is a swift elimination of Europe to wipe out 90+% of US military support. No matter what equipment you have you can't rule out being left as the only capable military able to fend off the rest of the world. I wouldn't like those odds.

I believe Libya was a show of force (in which we breached UNSC resolution 1970 and 1973), albeit on a target whose defense capabilities were limited, but to show off NATO's aerial supremacy. But once the first Nuke flies, and with all sides owning warheads and delivery systems capable of reaching anywhere on earth, when one or the other is on the ropes it will be the last line of defense; so, inevitable once any war commences against China or Russia, we can't undo that, nor can we meter the inevitable response of returning fire.

This is what is so upsetting about this next war. The inevitability of a world none of us recognize. I fear all of the most drastic decisions are merely a signature away and we, all, no matter where you are, face the prospect of annihilation.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
So the UK will now have the most advanced submarine in the world (HMS Astute) and the most advanced Destroyer in the world (HMS Daring) off the Straight of Homuoz. And people say that the Brits are a bankrupt nation falling to pieces

We are a bankrupt nation. the figures don't lie. It's great that we can spend money on weapons of war when we don't have it, but stuff the pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating and lets sack more care assistants and youth workers so we can buy more weapons.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I guess that destroyer carry a lot of modern nukes ready to kill millions of iranians
will we ever live in a world were violence and guns are obsolete ?

patience brothers and sisters .. minus 1 yrs to go

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I'm not that knowledagble on stratergies of war.

But is this just a flexing of muscles, or an "oh (snip) this (snip) is gonna get real" scenario?

edit on 7-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

We are a bankrupt nation. the figures don't lie. It's great that we can spend money on weapons of war when we don't have it, but stuff the pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating and lets sack more care assistants and youth workers so we can buy more weapons.

The british debt is far from unmanagable at 72% GDP which is lower than most of our european partners an the US. It is political propoganda so they can cut the fat that labour left us and you mark my words a year before the election watch us mysteriously rise from the financial ashes.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well this is certainly getting serious, I'll give it another month before we're at war with Iran and when things really start to hit the fan.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Sorry but when it comes down to it, national security is much more important than a few old people.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MushroomWig

How humanitarian of you.

You're going to be old one day, and hopefully wise enough to understand what a crock all these war games are.

edit on 7-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

what are you talking about? the British navy destroyed? When? I must have slept through it! They had some ships sunk during the Falklands War but that was it. We beat the crap out of Argentina or did you forget? Get your facts right and do some research before you come on here with that stupid statement!

Britain owns America, FACT.

Wrong!
Israel owns America..... and Britain.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starling

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

what are you talking about? the British navy destroyed? When? I must have slept through it! They had some ships sunk during the Falklands War but that was it. We beat the crap out of Argentina or did you forget? Get your facts right and do some research before you come on here with that stupid statement!

Britain owns America, FACT.

Wrong!
Israel owns America..... and Britain.

Does it bollocks, Israel has no influence over Britain at all. That is just an American myth that Israel seems to hold some sort of mysterious power over the world.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
i have exclusive never before seen footage of the ship leaving harbour for iran. it's quite disturbing.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Every time I think about the outcome I # myself. No kidding. Sometimes I guess I'm in denial about our mortality because I'm so prideful about my country, but honestly yeah, the odds against China and Russia don't seem good and they would undoubtedly bring the war to our shores this time. Kicking everything off with a nuke would be too risky and therefore unlikely. Because like you said, we aren't the only ones with them anymore. If Russia and China are smart and managed to get through our naval defenses, they would attempt a joint invasion. Probably Russia invading through Canada and China invading through one or more coastlines to keep us spread out and surrounded from multiple sides. Obama is Communist traitor scum so I wouldn't be surprised if they knew key positions of our ground based nuclear sites. My guess is since we've become very dependent on satellites for defense, navigation, etc, China would attack these first which would really hurt the communication, tracking capabilities, and the deployment of missiles of our Navy.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, lmao, but it seems like a probability with the way things have been panning out over Iran.
edit on 7-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join