It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK sends it's mightiest ship to take on Iran in the Gulf

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yeah that's all what another bankrupt country needs (the UK)... a war. I'm sure the UK taxpayers are delighted... NOT.

Royal Navy sends its mightiest ship to take on the Iranian show of force in the Gulf

The Royal Navy's most formidable warship is being sent to the Gulf for its first mission as tensions rise in the strategically vital region, it can be disclosed.

The Daily Telegraph understands that HMS Daring has been fitted with new technology that will give it the ability to shoot down any missile in Iran's armoury. The £1 billion destroyer, which will leave Portsmouth next Wednesday, also carries the world's most sophisticated naval radar, capable of tracking multiple incoming threats from missiles to fighter jets.

Daring, with its crew of 190, will transit through the Suez Canal and enter the Gulf later this month to replace the Type 23 frigate currently on station.

Yeah it can stop missiles... but can it stop mines? Nope.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Dayum, you beat me to it!

Looks like thr UK are going to step in to avoid the Americans being blamed for starting another war. Note its a stealthy and very fast boat, and very manouvorable. This could be the big one we all fear.

The Daily Telegraph understands that HMS Daring has been fitted with new technology that will give it the ability to shoot down any missile in Iran's armoury. The £1 billion destroyer, which will leave Portsmouth next Wednesday, also carries the world's most sophisticated naval radar, capable of tracking multiple incoming threats from missiles to fighter jets.

Thats a bold claim, lets see if its up to the job. I wouldnt be suprised if the ship has been fitted with that electric ignition gun, "metal storm" or something similar.
edit on 6-1-2012 by TheMindWar because: Added info

edit on 6-1-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Didn't the British Navy get destroyed by a pair of subsonic exocets? Ones that cost a few thousand bucks that ripped apart the HMS Sheffield?
edit on 6-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

It carries 48 main missiles, which means lets say with a 95% kill probability in combination with the CIWS you need to fire 200 missiles to ensure 10 get through. Problem solved.
edit on 6-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yeah we got a pasting especially when HMS Sheffield got hit. But believe it or not, we are one of the few countries with real experience being on the end of hostile anti-ship missiles. This boat I believe has a lot of secrets up its sleeve.
edit on 6-1-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

what are you talking about? the British navy destroyed? When? I must have slept through it! They had some ships sunk during the Falklands War but that was it. We beat the crap out of Argentina or did you forget? Get your facts right and do some research before you come on here with that stupid statement!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The ship appears fully capable of taking on the Iranian Navy or Air Force. As I've said before the real danger is not Iran closing the Straits. The real danger is an attack by Iran on the US Fifth Fleet.

If they inflict serious damage President Obama may decide to convene Congress and go for a declaration of war. If this happens you can bet he's preparing a tactical and strategic nuclear strike against Iran's military infrastructure to include command and control, all existing forces and weapons stockpiles, production facilities, nuclear sites and known hiding places for the rats in charge.

When the dust clears Iran will be in ashes and easy pickings for what ever is left. I would even bet that they have a plan worked out for massive aid via the Red Crescent and an infrastructure repair plan for 5 years or so. They can because all of the rats will be dead from blast or radiation effects and those left will want peace not war as they will have had enough.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the innocents of war. My best,

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Also, I seem to remember a few guys in a rubber boat that cost a few dollars managed to plant a bomb on an American destroyer and blew a huge hole in it!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

that was in the 80s and those was French made,and was advanced at the time,i can guarantee there will be a nuclear sub following HMS daring,

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Ah! So we are keeping the other ship, the rowing boat as a fall back then...Haha

Is it insured? Could be a false claim coming up then. Haha.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Yeah that's all what another bankrupt country needs (the UK)... a war. I'm sure the UK taxpayers are delighted... NOT.

Royal Navy sends its mightiest ship to take on the Iranian show of force in the Gulf

The Royal Navy's most formidable warship is being sent to the Gulf for its first mission as tensions rise in the strategically vital region, it can be disclosed.

Daring, with its crew of 190, will transit through the Suez Canal and enter the Gulf later this month to replace the Type 23 frigate currently on station.

Wow

A £1 billion destroyer....

With an ever lasting cutting exercise to our servicemen/woman who is going to operate it?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

what are you talking about? the British navy destroyed? When? I must have slept through it! They had some ships sunk during the Falklands War but that was it. We beat the crap out of Argentina or did you forget? Get your facts right and do some research before you come on here with that stupid statement!

Britain owns America, FACT.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

We only won because Argentina couldnt re-supply the Islands. Our nuke subs and aircraft stopped any resupply. The Argentinians must be pretty crazy though, to think they can take the islands back with a nuke sub sitting off its coast ready to wipe the country off the map.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
My strat for closing the Gulf would be to mine it as said.

Except...I'd have been mining it for the last decade or so. Having them covertly installed on the bottom of the sea floor.

If the occasion arose, the call would go to untether them from the bottom and allow them to rise to detonation range.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

I don't think anything is going to happen.there is a few other country like Saudi Arabia that use the strait.and if they do mine it we will just send in the German mine sweepers they are experts

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The main bulk of the ships the RN provides to the Gulf are minehunters..

Pembroke says Konnichiwa and Howdy on exercises in the Gulf.

Pembroke’s Commanding Officer, Lt Cdr Richard Hutchings, said:
“This is the first time in twenty years that Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force, US Navy and Royal Navy minehunters have operated here together, so the exercise was a fantastic opportunity to see how two other world-class navies work when faced by the challenging environmental conditions in which we train."
www.royalnavy.mod.uk...

But I do think this is an escalation given the recent noises all sides are making..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was just doing a quick search regarding vitchilo's comment:

As i was sure that the UK had 8 ships and a sub in the Hormuz area. Sky news reported that 5 of these ships are built with mine detectors.

I wasn't searching for this to glorify that our military is more than ready, i just wanted to show you if you didnt know already

But...on my travels for sources saying the above, i found this:

Former U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney said President Obama should have ordered an airstrike over Iran after their refusal to hand back the unmanned spy plane that crashed last month Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Which is absolutely terrifying to think this man holds so much power in America.

Back to OP:

I wish Iran the best of luck through this crime they are victims of. I wish my government would listen to us and stop all military action towards your country. I am sorry

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Dont take notice of the daily mail they tell lies heres a song a ATS user showed me earlier it is hilariouswww.youtube.com... but true the daily mail tell bs

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

You hit the nail on the head there, the destroyer is probably going to protect the minesweepers and offer support during minesweeping ops in the strait.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by airforce47

If they inflict serious damage President Obama may decide to convene Congress and go for a declaration of war. If this happens you can bet he's preparing a tactical and strategic nuclear strike against Iran's military infrastructure to include command and control, all existing forces and weapons stockpiles, production facilities, nuclear sites and known hiding places for the rats in charge.

Tactical nuclear strike? No way in hell.

I wasn't searching for this to glorify that our military is more than ready, i just wanted to show you if you didnt know already

I know all about mines sweepers... but thing is, mines historically have a pretty good hit rate.

It only takes one place mine and kabooooooooom.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

It is interesting timing that the Royal Navies mine hunters have recently (within the last couple of weeks) been at sea in the Gulf on exercises with Japanese and American mine hunters. Which poses the question, how many nations have mine hunters in the Gulf at this moment? But your rights, Daring would be able to provide air cover for them to work should it be required. (I just hope it is never required)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join