It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think a super power would ever put a computer in charge of the defence of there country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I recently watched terminator 2 and in it america developed a computer and put it in charge of its defences and it made military decisions,but when it was getting out of hand america tried to pull the plug and the computer seen it as a threat and launched nukes at Russia knowing they would attack its threat,it got me thinking in the near future america would probably develop something like this, artificial intelligence is becoming more and more of a reality, the new unmanned British stealth the TARANIS has a autonomous' artificial intelligence system and can think for its self and it can process the intelligence it gathers on the go and alert ground control to any imminent dangers,and it can also defend its self

www.youtube.com...

stuff like this is dangerous if one had an on board nuke and detected a threat and launched at it it could start ww3.i think it will most likely be our own technology that kills us weather it is nukes or some psychotic computer system raging war on a country.i think stuff that can think for its self should be thoroughly tested before put into service,they could also compute that we are the ones doing all the attacking and the real threat to mankind and turn against us.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I presume youve never seen this? Dead Hand, aka permimeter, possibly still in use in Russia.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
one older war games with Matthew Broderick as seen here

Director: John Badham. . Actors: Matthew Broderick: David · Dabney Coleman: McKittrick · John Wood: Falken · Ally Sheedy: Jennifer · Barry Corbin: General ...
www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567 - Cached
and yes it was a real plan for NORAD to do away with the human factor, in a way it has, the launch codes are auto but it still takes a a human to confirm, and turn the key "fail safe" I do not think the power of nukes will ever be under computer control that is A.I doing the launching, but then what better way of getting ride of the human race, man must be protected form man, therefore man must be eliminated.
edit on 6-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

lol well there you go,our life's are in the hands of some computer,even if it is only at certain times one day it might just decide it is sick of been switched off and then we are screwed.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I remember watching this film a while ago was a good film, doesn't the kid after beat the computer at chess to save the world ? lol

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hi

First time poster here!.....go easy on me!

In a short answer NO.

Us humans like to be in control, sure we are and will continue to be at the mercy of technology, but for A.I to be in control of such a devastating weapon....I don't think so.

just my thoughts...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cr2032

I hope that is the case but i wouldn't put it past the Americans it wouldn't surprise me if Obama is taking orders from a computer lol

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hi

I see were you are coming from....technology will certainly play a role in us creating more adventurous ways of destroying ourselves. But the ultimate sacrifice will be down to us alone making the decision. Not some 8 bit program...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

Lets see........

A Simon Gray Thread

Seems possible..

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

yes to keep it from getting the launch code, man no longer has the keys, the comp is the key but needs the code, the chess game is to keep it busy.. do you want to play a game?.... Dave

edit on 7-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

new topics

top topics

join