It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sports question for our United Kingdom members

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Soccer is the most corrupt sport in the world. It's full of cheaters, fixed games, crooked officials, divers and fakers.

And I'm not even going to get into the fact that the majority of games are extremely boring. And yet, the Brits love the game for some reason and that's fine. But why do you have to come on here and insult American football with your weak "why is it called football when you use your hands?" argument?

Soccer has a "throw" in. Why do you call it football when there is a "throw" in? How can a game be decided with a "hand" ball like when Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland and in the last World Cup with the Argentinian? There are criticisms on both sides.

Live and let live. I'm Canadian and ice hockey is the fastest, toughest, most exciting sport in the world bar none. You Brits don't play it too well but that doesn't mean I hate you. Why can't we just all get along and enjoy our sports without insulting the others?

edit on 14-1-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

Please don't come on here and pontificate about corruption in Association Football, and then tell us you follow Ice Hockey. That sport also has corruption problems to deal with:-

scholarship.law.marquette.edu... %26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dcorruption%2520in%2520canadian%2520ice%2520hockey%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D12%26ved%3D0CC4QFjABOAo%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fscholarshi p.law.marquette.edu%252Fcgi%252Fviewcontent.cgi%253Farticle%253D1460%2526context%253Dsportslaw%26ei%3DESsTT7SWGMXd8QP--bj6Aw%26usg%3DAFQjCNEtjonXsoVb3 -6TATrnCEk84b7fGw#search=%22corruption%20canadian%20ice%20hockey%22

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Alan Eagleson? Seriously?

First of all, that was 30 years ago. Secondly, he went to jail while the Sepp Blatter walks free.

There is simply no comparison between the NHL and soccer when it comes to corruption.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Alan Eagleson? Seriously?

First of all, that was 30 years ago. Secondly, he went to jail while the Sepp Blatter walks free.

There is simply no comparison between the NHL and soccer when it comes to corruption.

No matter how large or small, corruption is still corruption. As for Blatter The English Football Association are trying their dambnest to get rid of him. Problem is no one else is listening.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
since americans learnt they suck at soccer, and football (soccer) is an english game, they decided to change the rules.

Until recently it wasn;t all that popular here, though now there is a lot of interest. Funny, though. In grade school that's all we played on the fields, but we go to Junior High and suddenly--no more soccer. It was all football. I don't know what the deal is there.

because they hate anything english, and want desperately to separate themselves from their heritage, like spelling colour without the u or driving on the opposite side of the road, they made modifications to the english football game.

Oh, come on, bud. That's not true. Most Americans like everything English (Well, except for the food) and nobody's being desperate. I don't know how the spelling changes happened or the side of the road thing, but I do know roundabouts are getting VERY popular here, which has only happened in the last few years. We loved the Beatles and the Stones, and many of us are proud Anglophiles.

and they crown a "world" champion every year for a game they only play and that has absolutely no interest or following anywhere outside of n. america.

Probably true, but who cares? I do believe the American women have done pretty well in soccer the last few years, right?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Hi everyone.

I wouldn't post this if I wasn't desperate, but I'm sure football fans in particular are aware of the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989, which resulted in a loss of 96 fans.

Please could you sign this petition below for Anne Williams:
epetitions.direct.gov.uk...

She is a mother who has been fighting to find out the cause of her son's death and expose the corruption amongst TPTB.

Only UK Residents and UK Citizens can sign.

This is not a spam or anything. The deadline is around 4pm. Thanks for your time.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
American Football = Glorified Rugby with PPE

Not a fan of 'soccer'/Football Ye' know, Foot on ball **Cough cough** American "Foot"what ball?

Im a big fan of Rugby, which is allot like American football, you guys should watch it i bet you would enjoy it

I know there is some places where you can get in a team to play American Football over here in the UK, but its a very small scene. The scene is getting bigger down south though, London ways.

edit on 6-1-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)
Games are not alike infact polar opposites.In Rugby the ball must be passed backwards or level.Foward pass is illegall.American Football is totallay bassed on fowarrd pass or throw.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ecossiepossie

However you can still complete a lateral pass (or reverse pass) beyond the line of scrimmage...

reply to post by n00bUK

I watched a whole game of rugby before... I didn't understand most of it.. From what I saw it was not nearly the same as American football

I did notice.. American football is more about play by play strategy whereas rugby is more fast paced but somewhat disorganized IMHO

American football is divided into individual plays and downs. Also there are usually only two ball handlers in American football in any given play, the rest is blocking.
edit on 8-2-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

As a Brit, I always thought rugby was crap compared to your football.

People in this country say "but they're wimps, they wear padding and helmets" but they've never usually seen it properly and have no idea the force which people collide with, which is why the concussion and brain damage issue has been pretty prevalent in most sports, from "American" football to professional wrestling.

Football is tactical and rugby is just running forwards and throwing the ball behind you until someone crosses the line.

I don't like our football (or soccer as Americans and Canadians call it), never saw the point in kicking a ball around grass for 90 minutes.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix06

It was a stampede and a sudden rush of people that caused the stands to collapse.

Hope that helps and I don't even follow football so if I know that, surely this guy's mother should since her family has been affected by it for coming up to 23 years now

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join