It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Intrusive Government Law. Illinois, What are you thinking?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Is there some kind of "Goofy Gas" in the skies over Illinois? Recently, Chicago Mayor Rahm "Break Their Legs" Emanuel snuck through a city-wide regulation making protests and demonstrations incredibly more difficult and expensive. Chicago Gets Anti-Protest Law

But now, Illinois has climbed a few rungs up the crazy ladder with a state law requiring you to show photo ID, not to vote, but to buy drain cleaner.

A new state law requires those who buy drain cleaners and other caustic substances to provide photo identification and sign a log.
. . . .
The law, which took effect Sunday, requires those who seek to buy caustic or noxious substances, except for batteries, to provide government-issued photo identification that shows their name and date of birth. The cashier then must log the name and address, the date and time of the purchase, the type of product, the brand and even the net weight.
In an interview a hardware store owner

estimated that there are “easily” 30 or more products in the store that must be reported when sold.
But at least violations aren't a felony.

Non-compliance results in fines: $150 for the first offense, $500 for the second and up to $1,500 for the third and subsequent violations.
Why was this law created?

State Rep. Jack Franks (D-Woodstock) obtained passage of the new law following attacks in which drain cleaner was poured on two Chicago women, badly scarring them.
You now have to give up a lot of personal information to get some hair out of your drain pipes.

This intrusion into our lives is not a result of the Fed, or businessmen, or Islam. This is a mind-set that some American politicians have that Americans need to be controlled, and the controlling politicians need to have the power to do it.

I'm still sad.

CBS Drain Cleaner Story

(And as long as I'm editing, why not just log large purchases. If you have to sign for every purchase that has an ingredient that could be used to make something harmful, we'll be signing all day.)

edit on 6-1-2012 by charles1952 because: Sorry, I forgot the source link and parenthetical info.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Rep. Pat Verschoore, D-Milan, co-sponsored the bill as a way to crack down on methamphetamine, saying drain cleaners are among numerous household products used to manufacture the drug. "I signed on because I saw the effect that regulating pseudoephedrine had on reducing meth labs," Verschoore said. "If we put one meth maker out of business, it's worth the extra paperwork.
One of the reasons behind this law is that these substances are use to make Methamphetamine. It has become an epidemic in Illinois.

qctimes.com...
edit on 1/6/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here in Florida, I purchased some liquid cement the other day (actually it is vinyl glue..repairing an air matress) and had to show my ID
I asked why, and the lady listed a ton of things I now needed to show an ID for..not just alc and tobac..but things like wd40, propane, any type of modelling glue, etc etc etc. I guess it is for inhalants and such.
What nonsense.

Makes me wonder if they are trying to prep people for just some sort of ID chip so you don't have to be bothered grabbing your ID everytime you buy some mundane item...convenience and whatnot.

So, ya...Chicago is not the only place gone bonkers...try to buy some random items like modelling glue at your local walmart...see what slipped by you when you weren't looking...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Drain cleaner? Really?

This is ridiculous. It comes down to the fact that we are upset and the usual mainstream media outlets can't change our minds so the rich change the laws to protect themselves. These "caustic" substances can be used to make bombs which, surprise surprise, are usually hurled at the rich.

This is an old world "solution" to a brand new problem, people nowadays are educated thanks to the internet and thats whats truly dangerous to the rich.

But don't worry, when it all comes down laws like this are going to be pretty meaningless.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I know here if FL you have to show ID to get certain kinds of cold / sinus meds due to their use in making meth.

But, its getting silly - its collecting information on what a person MIGHT or COULD do - and its a dangerous road. A ton of stuff a person uses in everyday life could be put to harmful use. But that doesn't mean it will or that the government needs to know when a person's sink is stopped up.

We are treading into "Operation Mindcrime" territory here.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Man who cares, I don't care if they gotta see my ID, i carry it with me wherever i go anyhow. Whats the big deal, I think they should definately card you when you vote, thats just ridiculous. We need to do something about our borders we cant just let illegals come in and do whatever. I have all my family in europe, but if they want to come to america they have to follow all the rules, but if I had family in Mexico it wouldn't matter.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi

Rep. Pat Verschoore, D-Milan, co-sponsored the bill as a way to crack down on methamphetamine, saying drain cleaners are among numerous household products used to manufacture the drug. "I signed on because I saw the effect that regulating pseudoephedrine had on reducing meth labs," Verschoore said. "If we put one meth maker out of business, it's worth the extra paperwork.
One of the reasons behind this law is that these substances are use to make Methamphetamine. It has become an epidemic in Illinois.

qctimes.com...
edit on 1/6/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

So get them medical help. Meth is already illegal and people are addicted. Whats one more law to a meth head or meth dealer. Get real now.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
We've had to show id for along time to purchase over the counter cold meds too. You have to sign your name to this flip board too.
Meth is a prob..so now we all have to be punished. We do show id for all kinds of things..I think you have to show ID to buy bullets..and I just found out the other day that you cannot kill an animal (for food) on your property without a permit to do so. My cousin is an avid hunter and he said he cannot kill deer on his property without permission..but like I don't know how they would find that out...he lives in no mans land

Illinois has so many laws it really is ridiculous some days.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Chicago ? Where obama came from ?..what do you expect!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
On the meth angle: I fully understand needing ID to get pseudoephedrine. You need either pseudoephedrine or P2P to make meth according to the show Breaking Bad (awesome show). But the secondary chemical ingredients I don't think should you need to be ID'd. Perhaps they are taking steps to prevent people making homemade chemical weapons?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

I realize that sodium hydroxide (lye) is one of the components to produce meth, however it would be smarter to fully regulate the psedoephederine market products at the drug store level. Drain cleaners aren't really a problem as they contain other chemicals that can interfere with the production of methamphetamine, it's the pure products like sodium hydroxide that are an issue. But sodium hydroxide is also used as an electrolyte in hydrogen production via electrolysis and I buy 3kgs at a time, so two sides of the same coin eh?

ETA: Maybe they should outlaw fuel oil as that is also used in the meth production process?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/6.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thank you all for responding, you're making the point better than I could have.

You've pointed out two big problems. One, anything can be regulated since anything can be used for a bad purpose. Once you accept the idea that you can regulate anything that could possibly have a bad result of some sort, then there is no limit on what government can control.

And, two, in response to the legislator that said putting one meth dealer out of business is worth the extra paperwork, where is the line? Is putting one meth dealer out of business worth a billion dollars in law enforcement taxes? How about just $50 million? How about putting RFID chips on everyone?

Yes, I know those are extreme, but what is there to stop laws from going to extremes? What prevents the legislature from requiring a background check for drain cleaner purchases? Or at least a waiting period? What controls them? I fear the answer is "Nothing."

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Makes me wonder if they are trying to prep people for just some sort of ID chip so you don't have to be bothered grabbing your ID everytime you buy some mundane item

You hit the nail on the head, every aspect of our life is eventually going to be controlled. Even when your time is "up".

Very perceptive response.

The chip will regulate everyone because people did not wake up, unite and rebel.

Welcome to the NWO.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
With all of the things that you are required by law to produce an ID for, you would think that there wouldn't be a problem with having to produce one to vote.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I'm really impressed with the Liberals. I thought that they would also require a government agent to wait outside the hardware store to hold your hand as you cross the parking lot (you might get hit by a car!) drive the car for you to your house (you could crash your car!) supervise or likely take over the action of pouring drano down the drain (you might miss the drain and burn yourself!) and then to finish off the procedure to ensure everything went smoothly, the agent will stand in the shower with you and wash your hair for you (you might get soap in your eyes!)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFXMakes me wonder if they are trying to prep people for just some sort of ID chip so you don't have to be bothered grabbing your ID everytime you buy some mundane item...convenience and whatnot.

Short answer?
Yes.

Long answer?
Basically just as you described. It will get to the point where it will become a "major convenience" especially for lines. Just like how we all rolled our eyes at the old ladies counting their coins. "Why don't you just use your card you dinosaur!?"

Now it will be, "Just use your implant already, swipe your stupid hand over the scanner."

You see it with everything else these days.. After all, if you don't have an iPhone wired to your jaw, society considers you a mongoloid dimwit.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Make that agent a good looking 25 year old blonde female with a nice chest, I wouldn't mind so bad, especially the shower part.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

We can do almost all of that for you. Good looking? Check. 25? OK. Blonde? Everywhere. Nice chest? Absolutely, in fact Siegfried won the body building competition in Hamburg two years in a row.

Now get your mind out of the gutter
and back to serious ATS work.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by SaturnFX

Makes me wonder if they are trying to prep people for just some sort of ID chip so you don't have to be bothered grabbing your ID everytime you buy some mundane item

You hit the nail on the head, every aspect of our life is eventually going to be controlled. Even when your time is "up".

Very perceptive response.

The chip will regulate everyone because people did not wake up, unite and rebel.

Welcome to the NWO.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

Actually I wouldn't mind a chip..with the contingency that I could easily remove it in under a minute using little more than fingers, maybe some tweezers, and a small cut in the center of my hand. I very much like the concept of integrating with technology, but I demand to ultimately have my hand on the plug should I suddenly not want it anymore with no fuss. I think I have the "normal" response here.
Would actually prefer a external device that attaches to something in me that is otherwise useless, therefore I can simply detatch it whenever I want, and it is encoded with my genetics so only I can use it (don't have to worry about theft).

I think the ultimate scare about chips and implants and such is not being able to completely turn it off and trash it whenever you desire in a instant.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

Chicago, not kenya

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join