It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions require photo ID for THEIR elections.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

"A picture is worth a thousand words. According to OpenSecrets.org unions belonging to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) have donated over $26 million to Democratic candidates and causes since 1990. During that same period, the union gave a paltry $272,311 to the Republican Party.

As you’ll note in the photo below the union requires its own members to produce a photo ID in order to vote. The photo shows a union worker voting earlier today on whether to sanction a new four-year contract with Boeing, clearly the union understands the need for a picture ID in order to help guarantee a clean election:

In America, one needs an ID to vote in a union election, buy liquor, drive a car, board an airplane, use a credit card and a slew of other things in our society. Yet, the Democratic party refuses to back the idea of requiring an ID to vote in state and federal elections under any circumstances. A sensible voter ID law that respects the rights of the poor, elderly, and minorities is a great idea. What are Democrats afraid of? You connect the dots.

directorblue.blogspot.com...
iowntheworld.com...

I thought this story appropriate with all the talk concerning voter fraud in Iowa and of course, the growing fight with Holder/Obama and voter ID.

Unions apparently want a fair vote, and they are right in wanting that. Why is it so wrong to ask the same in politics, either local or national?

Fighting voter ID invites fraud. It invites abuses. It invites cheating.
This is 2012.
Who doesn't have an ID?
And if for some reason you don't, why not just get one if you want to be a part of the electoral process?

Really people, how hard is this?

Thoughts and comments always welcome.
beez

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The US is one of the only modernized countries without this type of security system. It's time we adopted it especially with all of the illegal immigrants here. Well, not so much in Iowa probably lolz.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I had to show my driver license before I voted in 2008. We have to fill out this form..show voters id and picture id. I thought it was like that everywhere..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
The US is one of the only modernized countries without this type of security system. It's time we adopted it especially with all of the illegal immigrants here. Well, not so much in Iowa probably lolz.

Voting in national/local elections is a privilege awarded to citizens. It is a very powerful tool. Abused, it can create (dare I say it?) dictatorships.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Hope this sheds some light.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I have no ID and I'll only get some if I want to drive or travel abroad. Forcing people to purchase ID (from a government body) would essentially amount to a poll tax. Paying to participate in democracy is wrong, because people will lose their vote if they don't have enough money. I guess the GOP wouldn't have much of a problem with poor people not being able to vote though haha!

All that being said, I'm against ID in general and I don't have much faith in this faux democracy we have.. So I would say that!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

You're welcome to your opinion. As the story stated, you need an ID to drive, an ID for food stamps, an ID to get on welfare. So being poor wouldn't disqualify because folks would already have ID.

Now for those who didn't have ANY form of identification, then I gues the choice to particpate in an election is entirely up to the individual.

edit on 6-1-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Asking for photo identification is something that should have been done long ago. For those that claim they can't afford it, I'd be willing to bet they can afford to pay for internet access and a computer (Look up), and many of them probably smoke and/or have a few beers a week. Yet they'll claim they're "too poor". Well, for those on government assistance, I think the fee should be waived. Problem solved, no excuse.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I am not from the USA, so please excuse me for asking a very silly question. Don't you guys ever have to prove who you are? Heck, where I come from, and where I am now, you have to have prove (ID document, bank card with your photo on (That is new for me), for everything. Where I came from, I couldn't even do any business at the bank (deposits, withdrawals, etc), buy a cell phone, or anything without an ID document with my photo AND bar-coded ID. Where I am nowadays, I can't get anything done, unless I have some sort of photo-ID on me.

Is it not like that in the USA? Sorry for my ignorance, but how do the people really know it is you, without at least SOME sort of ID (OK, I know the ID's can be forged).

Where I came from, after your have voted (With your bar-coded ID document), that has been scanned, and your face being verified from your ID document, you get a splash of dye on your finger, that remains there for a couple of weeks (and still election frauds are commonplace).

edit on 6/1/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I am not from the USA, so please excuse me for asking a very silly question. Don't you guys ever have to prove who you are? Heck, where I come from, and where I am now, you have to have prove (ID document, bank card with your photo on (That is new for me), for everything. Where I came from, I couldn't even do any business at the bank (deposits, withdrawals, etc), buy a cell phone, or anything without an ID document with my photo AND bar-coded ID. Where I am nowadays, I can't get anything done, unless I have some sort of photo-ID on me.

Is it not like that in the USA? Sorry for my ignorance, but how do the people really know it is you, without at least SOME sort of ID (OK, I know the ID's can be forged).

I really don't know of any place, anywhere where you can get a home, utilities, phone, internet withou an ID. Voting is probably one of the last places where you don't need an ID. And as seen in just about every election, there is fraud, there is cheating.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Yes, you need ID to do almost everything, except vote. The reason is that "certain people" want illegal aliens to vote, because they know the illegal aliens will vote a certain way. Additionally, they want people to be able to vote multiple times, without any way of tracking possible voter fraud.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't have a problem with requiring ID to vote Beezer, although it becomes a problem for me when those requirements for ID are greately restricted. I think if we are to have voter ID laws, there should be a selection of ID accepted. This idea that only birth certificates are accepted or only passports are accepted as ID to me only serves to restrict voters. It some States they accept all forms of photo ID which I believe this is acceptable.

It is a weak in my opinion to excuse minorities and the elderly of not having ID though, as everybody of age should either have a drivers licence, passport or birth certificate (short or long form). If you don't have either then I'd really have to question how you'd get through life.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Yes, you need ID to do almost everything, except vote. The reason is that "certain people" want illegal aliens to vote, because they know the illegal aliens will vote a certain way. Additionally, they want people to be able to vote multiple times, without any way of tracking possible voter fraud.

but if you don't need an ID to vote, JUST how do you vote? what prevents people of voting multiple times? are you telling me that there is no system in place to track who has voted???

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

but if you don't need an ID to vote, JUST how do you vote? what prevents people of voting multiple times? are you telling me that there is no system in place to track who has voted???

You walk in and vote. Unless the 230 year old volunteers can recognize you, nothing is stopping you from voting multiple times, other than your own morals. In some places, they have some type of system. In other places they don't. Voting is controlled by the individual states and counties. There is no standard on it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

And IDs would stop voter fraud how? I mean its not like you can not create fake IDs. This is one of those debates I see as a complete waste of time and money. IDs or not if someone wants to try to commit voter fraud its just as easy with or witout them. Maybe we should just make everbody get a chip at birth?
edit on 6-1-2012 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

How's this for a compromise.

If you have the privelege to vote, then an ID should be provided, free of charge. It won't affect the poor, it would level the playing field, it would (in effect) make everyone equal.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

And that's where you find the problem in America!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You walk in and vote. Unless the 230 year old volunteers can recognize you, nothing is stopping you from voting multiple times, other than your own morals. In some places, they have some type of system. In other places they don't. Voting is controlled by the individual states and counties. There is no standard on it.

All I can say is OMG!!!!!!! No wonder you people complain about electoral fraud. And I always thought you Americans were light-years ahead of everybody else in the whole world, now you make it sound as though on the election-level, you are way behind everybody else in the world. (please don't take it the wrong way round), but it is just totally inconceivable to me ....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

And IDs would stop voter fraud how? I mean its not like you can not create fake IDs. This is one of those debates I see as a complete waste of time and money. IDs or not if someone wants to try to commit voter fraud its just as easy with or witout them. Maybe we should just make everbody get a chip at birth?
edit on 6-1-2012 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

It won't stop fraud, but it'd make it harder to pull off.

If people want to cheat the system, they will.

Why make it easier for them to do it?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Southern Guardian

How's this for a compromise.

If you have the privelege to vote, then an ID should be provided, free of charge. It won't affect the poor, it would level the playing field, it would (in effect) make everyone equal.

I like this idea, although I still think this doesn't excuse some Americans from lacking photo ID. I don't think I've come across a person yet who doesn't have photo ID. I mean I'm sure many of them would by the least still possess a drivers licence or something to that nature... but I guess those people exist, so I'd be fully behind this idea.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join