It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New virus raids your bank account - but you won't notice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
(I didn't see that this had been posted yet. If it has, please disregard.)

This is a pretty smart virus. I just wanted to get this on ATS so everyone is aware and be able to protect themselves.

redtape.msnbc.msn.com...

Israeli-based Security firm Trusteer has found an elaborate new computer virus that not only helps fraudsters steal money from bank accounts -- it also covers its tracks.

A new version of the widely prevalent SpyEye Trojan horse works much the same way, only it swaps out banking Web pages rather than video, preventing account holders from noticing that their money is gone.

The Trojan horse employs a powerful two-step process to commit the electronic crime. First, the virus lies in wait until a customer with an infected computer visits an online banking site, steals their login credentials and tricks the victim into divulging additional personal information such as debit card information. Then, after the stolen card number is used for a fraudulent purchase, the virus intercepts any further visits to the victim's banking site and scrubs transaction records clean of any fraud. That prevents -- or at least delays -- consumers from discovering fraud and reporting it to the bank, buying the fraudster critical extra time to complete the crime.

The virus' evidence-covering techniques are elaborate. First, it keeps track of all fraud committed by the criminal, and makes sure to remove those line items from online transaction lists. It also edits balance amounts to prevent consumers from getting suspicious.

"This is a very scary tactic," said Avivah Litan, a financial fraud analyst at consulting firm Gartner. "Everybody thinks all they have to do is check their transactions and their balances. That's not true anymore."

Victim account holders who check their balance at an ATM -- or even at a second uninfected computer -- would be able to spot the fraudulent transactions. The virus doesn’t impact bank systems, merely the characters that are displayed within the infected system's Web browser. That means paper statements would reveal the fraud, too.

Be safe, everyone! If you believe you've fallen victim to this virus, take the advice in the article and check your account balance at an ATM (that hasn't been compromised with a skimming device) or call your bank or credit union.

Every day the Bank of Mattress is looking better and better!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Damn scammers!

This sort of thing gets me angry!

(and dog mess on my front lawn but thats not important right now)

I'm slightly concerned because I had a virus alert pop up on my computer only two days ago.

My laptop was infected with a virus. Probably the missus downloading stuff again!

It came up with around seven infected alerts. I clicked on clean and the computer eradicated the virus.

What concerns me is that the name of the virus was Trojan.

I checked my bank (had to pay bills anyway) and my money was still there.. well sort of. I had to pay BILLS!

So I payed my bills, money sent no problems.

I didn't even think about the fact that maybe the money was on the screen but in reality, it was really in someone's pocket.

Sneaky.

I think I better ring my bank. It's hopefully just another 'not so smart' virus but you never know.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. s&f.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Thanks for adding your recent experience. I hope you didn't get this bad boy on your computer.
You're probably safe since all your bills went out without any problems. I'm sure your bank or credit union would've been alerting you if something was amiss. At least I hope so.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

To my knowledge this has only affected Israelis.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by SilentE

Thanks for adding your recent experience. I hope you didn't get this bad boy on your computer.
You're probably safe since all your bills went out without any problems. I'm sure your bank or credit union would've been alerting you if something was amiss. At least I hope so.

This is just what I was thinking.

I've been scammed before. Not by a computer virus but by those pesky hole in the wall (ATM) scammers that scan your card details upon insertion.

The bank rang me the following day and told me they had been alerted to some fraudulent activity involving my account. I was pleased that they were able to detect and stop the problem before any money was taken.

BUT, if this virus can manipulate what is shown on the screen, can the banks anti-virus tech detect it and stop it?

I sure hope so...

I will ring the bank in the morning.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is there nothing the banks wont produce to steal our money?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

To my knowledge this has only affected Israelis.

I saw that the company that discovered it was based in Israel, but I don't recall reading that it was solely an Israeli computer virus. Could you post a link to this info? I'd be interested in reading it.

Plus, seeing as we're quickly moving towards a global economy, I don't believe any technology will be country specific soon. I can imagine that keeping something like this isolated would be difficult.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I'm off to bed now but you'll find the articles in all the main Israeli papers; go to the Jerusalem Post or Haaretz

It's not an Israeli computer virus, it's origins are Saudi Arabia:

www.ynetnews.com...

edit on 6-1-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Solution: Don't do online banking.

Best we can do is stay away from it as long as possible, pay your bills over the phone or at pay locations for utilities. Use pre-paid VISA/MASTERCARDs if doing online purchases. If those cards are compromised online, those companies usually investigate the fraud and refund the false charges.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Solution: Don't do online banking.

Best we can do is stay away from it as long as possible, pay your bills over the phone or at pay locations for utilities. Use pre-paid VISA/MASTERCARDs if doing online purchases. If those cards are compromised online, those companies usually investigate the fraud and refund the false charges.

Very true.

The problem is, the person I rent off lives in Canada and this was the easiest way of paying. It's instant.
The time difference and other factors make it very difficult to pay by phone.

Fraudulent activity doesn't happen often to the same account. (atleast not mine anyway)

If I have been scammed, it would be the first time since banking online. Can't remember the date I started but i've been online now for a while.

ETA: JibbyJedi, your avatar cracked me up!

edit on 6-1-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

An idea: Use a Linux program on a USB that runs in RAM.
No virus issues to infect your Windows machine.

Example: SlimPup, MacPup, Puppy Linux

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by SilentE

An idea: Use a Linux program on a USB that runs in RAM.
No virus issues to infect your Windows machine.

Example: SlimPup, MacPup, Puppy Linux

Thank you LadySkadi.

I appreciate the advice but if I can be very honest... I didn't understand a word you just wrote...

I'm not very computer savvy when it comes down to the components and.... well i'm just not very computer savvy!

I will pass on the info you gave me to the missus as she knows more about this sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Understood. Let me know (U2U) if you want me to walk you through it, it's very easy to do and best part: You will not be risking your current system, since this option will bypass your OS and hard drive. No permanent changes to your computer. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by SilentE

Understood. Let me know (U2U) if you want me to walk you through it, it's very easy to do and best part: You will not be risking your current system, since this option will bypass your OS and hard drive. No permanent changes to your computer. Cheers.

Thanks LadySkadi.

That's very kind of you.

I'll refer it to the missus when she's back from work and if she struggles, I may take you up on that offer.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Is there nothing the banks wont produce to steal our money?

the banks have all ready stolen all are money we are fighting over paper that the bank has made and numbers on a screen that the banks have put there. Ask your self what is real currency? its not the paper that the banks give us thats for shure. what the banks give us is a promise that its worth that amount of money thats why on the uk note it says Bank of England i promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of ( what ever the note is eg £10) it will be worthless soon any way

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thank you for the heads-up post OP.

IMO this world has become too technologically dependent on many things - to our detriment. I always thought it was a very bad idea for the banking system to get networked to the world wide web. Crazy -because imo I don't think it could ever be 100% secure. Folks are taking chances with their moolah is all I can say.

Thanks again OP!

edit on 9-1-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

top topics

join