It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus. Lens Flare, Or Collision Of Some Sort?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I agree with the maker of this video, that this does not look like lens flare. However, I am certainly no expert. Would appreciate informed opinions. Thank you.--Turk

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by turk182

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think this has already been decided and shown to be lens flare here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So the videos are the same? The consensus is lens flare, huh? OK. That is a pretty weird friggin' lens flare. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oops wrong thread too many windows open sorry op!!

Nice find on the longer video!
edit on 6-1-2012 by TheSep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Judging from the OP's linked video, while similar to the post you linked, it appears to be completely different. This video has a much larger sequence of frames and does look quite spectacular. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to cast some light (no pun intended) on what we are seeing. I must say though, this does not look like a simple lens flare to me, but then again, I am no expert.

Cool find OP!
ETA The most recent youtube comment says:
yeah & its been confirmed by NASA as beeing genuine. They are saying its possible its a volcanic eruption

But I can't find any recent reports from NASA yet, only stuff from 1990 and 2011.
edit on 6/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 6/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That is definitely impressive!

Yeah, I would think that can't be lens flare.
Sure doesn't look like it to me anyways, but I am no expert.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by nineix

Judging from the OP's linked video, while similar to the post you linked, it appears to be completely different. This video has a much larger sequence of frames and does like quite spectacular.

That's because this video was made after the fact. The original thread was created as the lens flare was just starting as Venus was exiting. That meant that only the beacon image data was available at that time. Proper processing of the beacon image data and comparison both to the flare Venus showed on entry (which is always the reverse of the pattern it shows on exit) as well as comparison to pre-flight data on the lens flare pattern produced by the helisopheric imager showed that it was just a lens flare.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well WTF!!!

I JUST watched the vid, and then was going to show my wife and it says it has been removed!!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thank you for clearing it up.

reply to post by Darkblade71

LOL! Maybe he just read nghhunter's post. Debunked, and unfortunately enough, same old lens flare. Ah well.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Kind of freaked me out for a second.
Should of kept the vid up though,
lens flare or not, it was very cool.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I'm not sure if you have the latest RealPlayer, but if you also load the RealPlayer downloader most any video you watch on-line will automatically download for you to save or discard, or convert to QuickTime or another video format.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Yeah, I used to catch Art Bell's show that way.

That was back when I knew what I was doing though.

Kind of cool to watch a crazy looking video and have it disappear like the Gov wiped it.
I'm sure that isn't what happened but for a few seconds there I played with the idea.

top topics

join