It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Rescues 13 Iranian Fishermen Held by Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

US Navy Rescues 13 Iranian Fishermen Held by Pirates

www.foxnews.com

The U.S. Navy announced Friday it had rescued 13 Iranian fishermen being held by Somali pirates in the Arabian Sea, despite rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran.

An SH-60S Seahawk from the guided-missile destroyer USS Kidd detected the pirates while a simultaneous distress call was received from the Al Molai fishing vessel.

Video depicts a team from the Kidd boarding the ship Thursday and then detaining 15 suspected pirates who had been holding a 13-member Iranian crew hostage for several weeks.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nothing too exciting here but i thought it was post worthy given all of the "other" US and Iranian news. I really dont think this was an act of kindness though. I really think the US wanted some of the fish that these Iranians have been catching and they are doing it under the act of making it look like a rescue attempt. Im sure the payback will be the US stealing these fishermen's catch!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

So why didn't the Navy keep their boat? Then they could have had all of their fish.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I really dont think this was an act of kindness though. I really think the US wanted some of the fish that these Iranians have been catching and they are doing it under the act of making it look like a rescue attempt. Im sure the payback will be the US stealing these fishermen's catch!

Ha. Either it is the (too well disguised) irony or it is - well, i do not know what.
In any case, reading about something positive in the article that has both US and Iran in it is pretty good. Maybe sometime there will be something positive with Israel and Iran in it.... Nah, i am not that optimistic.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I sincerely doubt the US Navy was after their catch. But, it seems these Iranians had been captured for quite some time already - a month, from what I read in a Swedish newspaper. That means a lot of time for planning - maybe a lot of time for the US to plan a rescue operation, for propaganda purposes. Which makes you wonder, why didn't the Iranians themselves rescue their own citizens?

Propaganda aside, however, I live by the principle that an act of kindness is still an act of kindness, even if there may be ulterior motives to it. So good job on the US Navy!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The law at sea is to answer any distress call, no matter the flag, a seaman is a seaman and shall be rescued.

I applaud the U.S. for doing what was right, this is one reason why they are the best country in the world. " And justice for all " not only stands for them but for those that need the voice and belief !!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
False Flag someone order to show an act of congress. The pirates were actually Delta Force. (Sarcasm)

Its actually Ironic, being jaded I have to think if it was the other way around we would never hear about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I find it very telling that all of the USA bashers have stayed away from this thread as if they will get leprosy just from reading this information. I guess its ok to pick and choose what news puts us in a bad light. It's nice to be vindicated with this news as it shows that we are not just a warmongering country and that we actually HELP those who need it, regardless of what country the persons in need of help are from.

Kudos to the Captain and crew of the USS Kidd! Those guys should be able to fly the Skull and Bones flag now

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
I find it very telling that all of the USA bashers have stayed away from this thread as if they will get leprosy just from reading this information. I guess its ok to pick and choose what news puts us in a bad light. It's nice to be vindicated with this news as it shows that we are not just a warmongering country and that we actually HELP those who need it, regardless of what country the persons in need of help are from.

Kudos to the Captain and crew of the USS Kidd! Those guys should be able to fly the Skull and Bones flag now

I'm a basher of the government of the USA, and it's war factory. Not an american people basher.

I applaud the American sailors for what they have done. And also the Iranian captain of the ship who gave those guys a hug. That goes to show that nobody really hates each other there. It's just propaganda.

The Iranian government said that this was a act of positive humanitarian gesture. Let's just hope that this turn the tide on the relationship between these two countries.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
News just in "Iran claims that a U.S warship has taken 13 Iranian fishermen hostage". The fishermen were negociating to sell their catch to the pirates when a naval vessel and helicopter took the 13 unarmed Iranian citizens into custody" As they were trading with "pirates" the US commander in charge of the vessel said something "smelt fishy" about the whole situation.

The boats catch of 350 kilos of now rotten fish were later inspected one by one but no WMD's or enriched uranium were found.
edit on 9-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
News just in "Iran claims that a U.S warship has taken 13 Iranian fisherman hostage". The fishertman were negociating to sell their catch to the pirates when a naval vessel and helicopter took the 13 unarmed Iranian citizens into custody" As they were trading with pirates the US commander in charge of the vessel something "smelt fishy" about the situation.

Andy...I am lazy and it's 0131 EST. Could you post a link to the info? If it was sarcasim then I get it. "something smelt fishy"...That's a good one.

Cheers
edit on 9-1-2012 by subcsailor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by subcsailor
Andy...I am lazy and it's 0131 EST. Could you post a link to the info? If it was sarcasim then I get it. "something smelt fishy"...That's a good one.

Cheers
edit on 9-1-2012 by subcsailor because: (no reason given)

Yessssssssss...it's good old fashioned sarcasm about the whole "sabre ratllin' drum beatin' rag head killin' WMD findin' Koran burnin' " situation....good night.
edit on 9-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well andy, considering the levelof sarcasm in that post, your avatar totally fits the situation lol.

Now back on topic. I firmly believe Iran should run with this good deed and return the favor, that is the hostage they are sentencing to death for alleged espionage.

One positive action can lead to another, and before you know we are all vacationing in Iran and enjoying some good times at whatever their equivelant to a bar/pub without alcohol is, joking about the bad ol days and how good it is for our government to be getting along again.

If only

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Just propaganda, the U.S. hired the pirates to take over the ship so then the fisherman could make a distress call. Which the U.S. would be nearby and save the fisherman. Its all to make the U.S. look good!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Not everything has to be a premeditated production. I firmly blieve this was a legitamate scenarios. It happens all the time. Just because of the nationals and security involved does not mean it was alll setup.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I thought the USS Kidd was a decomissioned WWII battleship that is currently a musuem?

Must be a new one, lol

top topics

join