page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by dilly1

I love it how gullible people truly believe some visitor or a distant planet would want or care to communicate with earth.....these people must assume humans are so special,,,,ahhhh

Why not? We send signals into space.. There could be many alien races out there, that are at a similar stage of evolution to us..

Yes but our signals have, relatively speaking, just left earth. The first signal ever made is only just over 100 years old. Space is big. Really really big. Even "if" there is an advanced race not too far away it would still take thousands of years for our signals to reach them.

Let's not forget, that around 1908, Tesla sent an extremely large "signal" into space. He probably scared the bejesus out of any extraterrestrial floating around out there for a little over 100 light years now.

edit on 6-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight

Originally posted by steveknows

reply to post by dilly1

I love it how gullible people truly believe some visitor or a distant planet would want or care to communicate with earth.....these people must assume humans are so special,,,,ahhhh

Why not? We send signals into space.. There could be many alien races out there, that are at a similar stage of evolution to us..

Yes but our signals have, relatively speaking, just left earth. The first signal ever made is only just over 100 years old. Space is big. Really really big. Even "if" there is an advanced race not too far away it would still take thousands of years for our signals to reach them.

Let's not forget, that around 1908, Tesla sent an extremely large "signal" into space. He probably scared the bejesus out of any extraterrestrial floating around out there for a little over 100 light years now.

edit on 6-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

Telsas a tool. And if he did it still hasn't travelled that far. In 1900, Reginald Fessenden made the 1st voice transmission over an airwave and it was really weak. In 1901 Guglielmo Marconi made the first transatlantic radio broadcast. 110 light-years away from earth you'll find our first radio signal. TV signal are 74 light years away. Though there is without doubt inteligent beings out there the chance of them being that close are practically zero. Space is that big.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I find it interesting that it says the signal is terrestrial in origin ( radio interference ) and yet there are 3 pages of replies =)

If I've understood correctly, there really isn't any news here..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Agreed, even if there is comparable or greater intelligence out there, they're not that close. This place is HUGE. Even so- just by sending these signals over airwaves, does that mean they are also sent into space? Traveling?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I find it interesting that it says the signal is terrestrial in origin ( radio interference ) and yet there are 3 pages of replies =)

Either you've misunderstood, or more likely, I'm a complete idiot for not even seeing that in the firstplace

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Twelvemonkeyss

what's with all these ifs?
The story is, that when they find an alien signal, they expect it to look like these particular signals coming from Earth.

Where's the uncertainty in that to generate all these "ifs"?

I think this is a case of confirmation bias, meaning some people simply read what they wanted to into the story.

Several of the posters on page one pointed out the authors even went back and clarified the story to make it clear there's no alien signal, and people are still wondering about it? It helps to read the thread.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twelvemonkeyss
reply to post by steveknows

Agreed, even if there is comparable or greater intelligence out there, they're not that close. This place is HUGE. Even so- just by sending these signals over airwaves, does that mean they are also sent into space? Traveling?

Generally. Though they're often very weak.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I realized.. quite embarrassed

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants

The signals below are undoubtedly examples of terrestrial radio frequency interference (RFI).
reply to post by Vitchilo

He's saying this particular signal that's being discussed is from earth(terrestrial) and that the same signal is coming from two different objects, which is what tells them it's a radio signal from earth....I don't know all the particulars but they do. He's saying if they do receive an ET signal it will look like these narrow earth signals...only they'll only be coming from one location.

Thanks for pointing that out. Re-reading the article again helped.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

"Why not" you say,,,,mmmm??

Why not learn how difficult it is for anything( spaceships(human or alien) or radio frequency ) to travel throughout an infinite space.

The fact that you say "why not" it is the equivalent of a christian rebounding with the delusional "faith" jargon.

Misterlondon all you have is hope. And I hope your hope keeps you grounded. Because right now you're way out there.

I can assure you my friend.. my feet are firmly on the ground...

And it is not that difficult to send a message through space.. in fact we have already done it..

he Arecibo message was broadcast into space a single time via frequency modulated radio waves at a ceremony to mark the remodeling of the Arecibo radio telescope on 16 November 1974.[1] It was aimed at the globular star cluster M13 some 25,000 light years

the Arecibo message was more a demonstration of human technological achievement than a real attempt to enter into a conversation with extraterrestrials.

en.wikipedia.org...

The only problem is the time it takes to travel these distances.. and the time to receive a reply..

One of the reasons the WOW signal was so highly debated is because it was transmitted on the hydrogen frequency, which is the ideal frequency to transmit on if someone wanted to get noticed.

Not forgetting our current understanding of the universe is still in a relative stage of infancy..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Not necessarily thousands of years.. according to einsteins theory nothing is faster then the speed of light.
waves travel at the speed of light because waves have the same characteristics as light.
(do a search for wave/particle duality for an explanation)

Proxima Centauri, part of the Alpha Centuri system is our closest star is approx 4.37 light years away.. which means it takes the light (waves) 4.37 years to reach us..

of course we have to account for the signal deteriorating because of the many obstacles in space that radio frequencies must pass through like interstellar gases, UV radiation from sun's and even asteroid fields that would hinder this transmission.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Reading the thread title, excited.

Reading first page, disappointed.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

"Why not" you say,,,,mmmm??

Why not learn how difficult it is for anything( spaceships(human or alien) or radio frequency ) to travel throughout an infinite space.

The fact that you say "why not" it is the equivalent of a christian rebounding with the delusional "faith" jargon.

Misterlondon all you have is hope. And I hope your hope keeps you grounded. Because right now you're way out there.

I can assure you my friend.. my feet are firmly on the ground...

And it is not that difficult to send a message through space.. in fact we have already done it..

he Arecibo message was broadcast into space a single time via frequency modulated radio waves at a ceremony to mark the remodeling of the Arecibo radio telescope on 16 November 1974.[1] It was aimed at the globular star cluster M13 some 25,000 light years

the Arecibo message was more a demonstration of human technological achievement than a real attempt to enter into a conversation with extraterrestrials.

en.wikipedia.org...

The only problem is the time it takes to travel these distances.. and the time to receive a reply..

One of the reasons the WOW signal was so highly debated is because it was transmitted on the hydrogen frequency, which is the ideal frequency to transmit on if someone wanted to get noticed.

Not forgetting our current understanding of the universe is still in a relative stage of infancy..

Where do I begin????

The "WOW" signal is NOT proof of anything. In fact its probably a hoax.

You sound smart but then you say these novice contradictions that really make no sense at all.

How in the world can you say "its is not that difficult to send messages through space" and then admit the problem it takes for a signal to travel long distances. To add, that you are firmly aware(lol) the universe is still a relative stage of infancy??????

How can you do that???

How can you logically allow your mind to operate that way??

Talking about "oxymoron". But in this case let's just take out "oxy" and leave good 'ol moron alone for this shocking post by YOU.

You say Hydrogen Frequency?? You mean using a theoretical theory,, right?? You mean a theory based in the quantum level?? Do you even know what the quantum level entails??. Do you even know how difficult it is to do anything in the quantum level??

This low frequency using hydrogen atoms is a fantasy. But let's just say your alien fantasy came true: You made contact. Now what? ??

I know what !! You do nothing,,, because you can't do anything about it. Space is too big and we will never grasp the amount of "new physic" needed to even contemplate space travel in an infinite universe.

I have said it a billion times in other threads(and no one wants to accept the cold hard truth).

You need new physics to do anything of the sort. We need to understand lightspeed for short travels. We need to understand wormholes for long travels. And we need to change our entire medical approach to achieving anti-aging(immortality). Without those impossible points, we will never get to travel in space.

So who cares about what SETI is doing . Its a waste of money and time.

So I suggest you stop ignoring your smarts and erase your fantasy of aliens. Its making you dumb. Try using ONLY logic.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Not necessarily thousands of years.. according to einsteins theory nothing is faster then the speed of light.
waves travel at the speed of light because waves have the same characteristics as light.
(do a search for wave/particle duality for an explanation)

Proxima Centauri, part of the Alpha Centuri system is our closest star is approx 4.37 light years away.. which means it takes the light (waves) 4.37 years to reach us..

of course we have to account for the signal deteriorating because of the many obstacles in space that radio frequencies must pass through like interstellar gases, UV radiation from sun's and even asteroid fields that would hinder this transmission.

You start off super optimistic then end with some realistic phrase. Why do you even bother to post. Its not like you're going to accomplish anything.

Sure your feet aren't instead hovering over firm-real-practical ground ???

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Where do I begin???? The "WOW" signal is NOT proof of anything. In fact its probably a hoax.

The WOW signal has been neither proven or disproven.. Want to show me some evidence which proves this is a hoax?

or was it just a fleeting comment in your obvious uncontrollable rage?

How in the world can you say "its is not that difficult to send messages through space"

Because we have already done it..

and then admit the problem it takes for a signal to travel long distances.

Those are he problems we face..

To add, that you are firmly aware(lol) the universe is still a relative stage of infancy

If you read it correctly it states WE are in a stage of infancy in terms of our understanding.. doesnt mean another race more developed than ours hasn't overcome these problems.

How can you do that???

Talking about "oxymoron". But in this case let's just take out "oxy" and leave good 'ol moron alone for this shocking post by YOU

This is completely unnecessary and rude..

You say Hydrogen Frequency?? You mean using a theoretical theory,, right?? You mean a theory based in the quantum level?? Do you even know what the quantum level entails??. Do you even know how difficult it is to do anything in the quantum level??

This low frequency using hydrogen atoms is a fantasy. But let's just say your alien fantasy came true: You made contact. Now what? ??

I say the hydrogen frequency (1420 megahertz) because it is the most abundant element in the known universe and the one most likely to be used should someone try and send a signal through space..

And you talk of theories? almost all our knowledge of the universe started as a theory..

I know what !! You do nothing,,, because you can't do anything about it. Space is too big and we will never grasp the amount of "new physic" needed to even contemplate space travel in an infinite universe.

Im fully aware of our problems with space travel..

Even without travelling to them.. just knowing we are not alone as an intelligent civilisation would be earth shattering..

I have said it a billion times in other threads(and no one wants to accept the cold hard truth).

well we can already see you have a thing for wild exaggeration.. you have only made 740 odd posts..

You need new physics to do anything of the sort. We need to understand lightspeed for short travels. We need to understand wormholes for long travels. And we need to change our entire medical approach to achieving anti-aging(immortality). Without those impossible points, we will never get to travel in space.

Here we can agree

In your opinion.

So I suggest you stop ignoring your smarts and erase your fantasy of aliens. Its making you dumb. Try using ONLY logic.

Logic tells me that the sheer size of the universe and number of galaxies and stars.. what happened on earth cannot be an isolated incedent..

having said that there is no fantasy about aliens.. just a hope we are not alone..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

You start off super optimistic then end with some realistic phrase. Why do you even bother to post. Its not like you're going to accomplish anything.

Sure your feet aren't instead hovering over firm-real-practical ground ???

Just presenting the facts buddy..

To be honest mate your attitude and rudeness in this thread are appalling.. I dont understand why you feel it necessary to attack people?

Hopefully this is just some weird internet persona you got going on here otherwise it must be a lonely existence in the 'real' world.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

Where do I begin???? The "WOW" signal is NOT proof of anything. In fact its probably a hoax.

The WOW signal has been neither proven or disproven.. Want to show me some evidence which proves this is a hoax?

or was it just a fleeting comment in your obvious uncontrollable rage?

How in the world can you say "its is not that difficult to send messages through space"

Because we have already done it..

and then admit the problem it takes for a signal to travel long distances.

Those are he problems we face..

To add, that you are firmly aware(lol) the universe is still a relative stage of infancy

If you read it correctly it states WE are in a stage of infancy in terms of our understanding.. doesnt mean another race more developed than ours hasn't overcome these problems.

How can you do that???

Talking about "oxymoron". But in this case let's just take out "oxy" and leave good 'ol moron alone for this shocking post by YOU

This is completely unnecessary and rude..

I say the hydrogen frequency (1420 megahertz) because it is the most abundant element in the known universe and the one most likely to be used should someone try and send a signal through space..

And you talk of theories? almost all our knowledge of the universe started as a theory..

Im fully aware of our problems with space travel..

Even without travelling to them.. just knowing we are not alone as an intelligent civilisation would be earth shattering..

well we can already see you have a thing for wild exaggeration.. you have only made 740 odd posts..

Here we can agree

In your opinion.

Logic tells me that the sheer size of the universe and number of galaxies and stars.. what happened on earth cannot be an isolated incedent..

having said that there is no fantasy about aliens.. just a hope we are not alone..
First grow some thick skin. Its not my fault your completely delusional with "alien stuff". And I love how you dissect my paragraphs with your childish "cut 'n paste".

IF the "wow" signal(or anything for that matter)hasn't been proven or disproven ,,,then what the hell is it!!!!!!

Maybe you want to call it a mystery or whatever floats your boat. I call it a hoax,a joke,a freakin trick. Proof for me is : if it hasn't been proven as a fact then its bulls### or some human fanatical invention. Why would I care for anything that is just a guess or theory or mystery. Why would I waist my mental capacity on hope.??

Rage is a good thing. You should try it sometime.

You can twist it however you want. Bottom line we are in our infancy in every facet when attempting or contemplating doing anything in space; Whether its sending/receiving a signal or traveling in space.
We are cavemen. Accept it.. Or maybe you have..

Your hydrogen frequency explanation is spot on. But its a theory. Your next statement was probably the dumbest statement ever.. Name one thing of our known knowledge that started as a theory. And be careful ,make sure you don't state an old theory that happens to still be a theory .....

I am glad you are aware how hard space travel is. Please keep that #1 on your list. And disregard little green men trying to communicate with us(or listening)... Or taxi around earth. That shouldn't be on the list. Ever!

Do you really have to discredit me with my exaggerations?? Do you even actually think your accomplishing anything . I'm hoping you have a slight pulse of sense of humor. Go to a strip club or something,,,jesus. Lighten up

I am glad again we can agree on my 3 points for traveling in an infinite space.

Your final statement answers my point exactly. You have "hope" ,,hope for aliens or whatever. Why ? Because your logic tells you ,mathematically there must be another earth or many earths. So even though its great you have sound logic your emotional side seems to always trump all the achievements your logical side has conceived. Your entitled to do that but understand your going in circles as if you were a machine or turbine engine. Which is what the "powers it be" want you to do .

Someone with nothing else but logic is a perfect human. Emotion makes one weak . I know what your going to say : dreams and curiosity and imagination is the key to opening new doors ,new gateways. And that's fine but logic must never ,never be trumped when doing that. Logic regulates the mind.

Your almost there. Just drop the alien hope crap

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
To all the people who feel that this thread is the perfect opportunity to downplay the possibility of ET life communicating with us...

You're totally full of it. You want to feel more intelligent, less delusional, than your peers... but you fail to see how ARROGANT you are!!! We know very little of Outer Space, except that it's bigger and has been around longer than we can possibly imagine. According to official sources, we've only been first-hand to the MOON. We are in the INFANCY of space travel, and ALREADY, we've found that alien life could have existed on Mars and could be supported on some nearby moons. The STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE of people who limit their imaginations about subject matter, that by definition, cannot possibly fit into them... is astonishing to me.

We are still learning about our own planet, and to think that ANYONE of us on these boards has any CLUE as to what is possible as far as ET life goes, and that includes how much ET life is out there, how advanced it is, and whether or not it's interacted with our planet in the present or the past... is RETARDED, in my opinion. We could be the only intelligent beings in the universe, or we could be one of MILLIONS - we just frankly don't know!!! Didn't Percival Lowell get criticized to no end for believing life was once on Mars and that there were canals? Was he delusional, or simply a scientist looking for clues of something that could be possible, and if discovered and acknowledge, could evolve humanity pretty darned quick?

There is nothing wrong with being scientifically curious and hopeful, that is a HEALTHY tendency of the mind. Going on forums to burst people's bubbles is just a way to stroke your own egos, and is probably very unhealthy! I would never waste my time going on some Christian message board and telling people to stop believing in God. I'm not religious and find it weird to hook yourself onto one particular religion but at the end of the day, there's a GAZILLION more things we don't know than we do know... and that's why there's so much room for spirituality (however it is expressed) and hope in things that seem impossible to us today, that's what makes us uniquely human and uniquely successful on this planet we call Earth.

The original article was entirely misleading, it was only updated later to clarify they were talking about signals from Earth.
edit on 7-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
To all the people who feel that this thread is the perfect opportunity to downplay the possibility of ET life communicating with us...

You're totally full of it. You want to feel more intelligent, less delusional, than your peers... but you fail to see how ARROGANT you are!!! We know very little of Outer Space, except that it's bigger and has been around longer than we can possibly imagine. According to official sources, we've only been first-hand to the MOON. We are in the INFANCY of space travel, and ALREADY, we've found that alien life could have existed on Mars and could be supported on some nearby moons. The STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE of people who limit their imaginations about subject matter, that by definition, cannot possibly fit into them... is astonishing to me.

We are still learning about our own planet, and to think that ANYONE of us on these boards has any CLUE as to what is possible as far as ET life goes, and that includes how much ET life is out there, how advanced it is, and whether or not it's interacted with our planet in the present or the past... is RETARDED, in my opinion. We could be the only intelligent beings in the universe, or we could be one of MILLIONS - we just frankly don't know!!! Didn't Percival Lowell get criticized to no end for believing life was once on Mars and that there were canals? Was he delusional, or simply a scientist looking for clues of something that could be possible, and if discovered and acknowledge, could evolve humanity pretty darned quick?

There is nothing wrong with being scientifically curious and hopeful, that is a HEALTHY tendency of the mind. Going on forums to burst people's bubbles is just a way to stroke your own egos, and is probably very unhealthy! I would never waste my time going on some Christian message board and telling people to stop believing in God. I'm not religious and find it weird to hook yourself onto one particular religion but at the end of the day, there's a GAZILLION more things we don't know than we do know... and that's why there's so much room for spirituality (however it is expressed) and hope in things that seem impossible to us today, that's what makes us uniquely human and uniquely successful on this planet we call Earth.

The original article was entirely misleading, it was only updated later to clarify they were talking about signals from Earth.
edit on 7-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

You mite as well just replied it to me.

If you believe and hope that you have evidence that proves ET has(or is trying) tried to phone home from earth,, then you are neglecting to use logic. Hence your becoming dumb.

What ,"according sources", are you referring to?? Nasa? Meaning you have blind faith in what they tell you? Is Nasa your Vatican?

Just because the plausibility of life existing on Mars doesn't mean (A) that there was (as a fact) life on mars, (B) doesn't mean aliens have been currently taxing around earth and (C) doesn't mean there is currently aliens capable of space travel.

[Imagination] ,aside from blind faith, is the key to being ,,,,brainwashed!!

Yes we are still learning about our own planet and everything else,,,and?? Do you know how little we have learned? And still you want to attempt to solve daunting universal questions or believe any UFO evidence as "truth".

Basically you called yourself Retarded. I never claimed ,, that I know how ET life goes. Or how much ET life is out there. Or how advanced it is.

What I am saying is anything capable of space travel needs to master those 3 things. Those three points that are vital only in space travel. It doesn't matter what or who it is or where you come from ; you go out in space you need to master those 3 points. If aliens accomplish that and we know this do to being the host ,then the visitors will be our masters.. Why you want that is truly Retarded. .. ......I can't dumb it down more than that.

Percival was criticized because he was certain there was life on mars. Which is only a theory. Again theories are fine but it is not a fact. ..... "Could evolve humanity pretty darn quick"????? What?? Nothing is ever "darn quick".

Here we go again with the hoping nation and curious cat crap. Your mind is not in a healthy state . That talk is down right dangerous. You need logic to regulate your hope and your curiosity; if not your faith will become reality. Is that what you want??

What is healthy,,, is bursting people's "faithful bubbles". I'm trying to set you free. Free from having a filtered mind.

Are we really unique? Why do you think you(us humans) are so special? What makes you think we are uniquely successful on this planet? You truly feel that?

Tell me how.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I'm sorry, but I feel you're rambling and not making much sense. People replied to an article about ET-like signals hitting Earth, the story was later updated to clarify that the signals were from Earth and were not ET. You used this as an opportunity to bash anyone who thinks it's possible ET life is communicating with us, or could in the near future... frankly, you don't know crap about crap. None of us do. It's PERFECTLY feasible that there are loads of advanced ET life out there (possibly very close by and even in our recent history in our solar system), honestly it'd be JUST as astounding and consequential if there wasn't. You are applying your excruciatingly limited human knowledge, which has just BARELY tapped into understanding the intricacies of space (we still don't get GRAVITY, yet), to a topic where it simply doesn't apply.

Everyone is theorizing at this point, you as well. There's no reason to crap on people who are more open minded and "hopeful" than you - it accomplishes zero. But it seems to be your favorite hobby on ATS, and it's probably more motivated by your own EGO than anything.
edit on 8-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum