It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI finds alien signals?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I love it how gullible people truly believe some visitor or a distant planet would want or care to communicate with earth.....these people must assume humans are so special,,,,ahhhh

Why not? We send signals into space.. There could be many alien races out there, that are at a similar stage of evolution to us..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I wonder how they are going to "confirm" somehing like this..
I believe a visual confirmation would be the only way, but we would need a new telescope for that

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Looks kind of like a psk31 waterfall.

wiki psk31 page link here

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I'm giving it all I got cap'n but the engines are overloading.!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by infiniteankh
But false positives don't appear all that common, so we shall see, I guess.
My understanding as a previous participant of the SETIatHome program is that false positives are quite common.

The reason you don't hear them announced, is that SETI folks realize they are common, and do all kinds of screening on all the positives that are identified.

After all the screening is done, I wouldn't say false positives are rare, I'd say they are nonexistent, because there has never been a positive announcement, so how could any of them be false if there aren't any? The "WOW" signal mentioned previously was very interesting, but never confirmed, which is a requirement.

It sounds like they didn't word things as clearly as they might have initially, and have corrected it.

What do you think of these guys? Great communicative skills I must say!

So now, remember, these are the sort of folks who work at SETI.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by Illustronic

The WOW signal was never proven to be a false alarm, though, it was just never followed up by confirmation and was presumed to be a non-ET anomaly. Note, back before SETI was more private it had to report such news to government first before going public. So, who knows if they discovered more than we ever learned about. : )

PS, I recommend reading the source of this article - seti.berkeley.edu... - over the article about it.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

And it was never proven to not be. The signal was to fast and it only happened once so they couldn't follow it up.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by dilly1

I love it how gullible people truly believe some visitor or a distant planet would want or care to communicate with earth.....these people must assume humans are so special,,,,ahhhh

Why not? We send signals into space.. There could be many alien races out there, that are at a similar stage of evolution to us..

Yes but our signals have, relatively speaking, just left earth. The first signal ever made is only just over 100 years old. Space is big. Really really big. Even "if" there is an advanced race not too far away it would still take thousands of years for our signals to reach them.

edit on 6-1-2012 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Kinda strange, you find an alien signal and make a PDF of the wave form....who does that ? Why is there not a wav file or a video ?

What are you hoping for by listenning to the signal? "Hello earth"?
back in the dial up days could you understand your modem talking to other computers?

And OP it says right in your quote that these are terrestrial signals, comparing them to what a ET signal MIGHT look like

btw if we ever made contact with an ET race, i dont think it would be with radio transmissions, radio is SLOW like REALLY SLOW
edit on 6-1-2012 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by dilly1

"Why not" you say,,,,mmmm??

Why not learn how difficult it is for anything( spaceships(human or alien) or radio frequency ) to travel throughout an infinite space.

The fact that you say "why not" it is the equivalent of a christian rebounding with the delusional "faith" jargon.

Misterlondon all you have is hope. And I hope your hope keeps you grounded. Because right now you're way out there.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Save me a seat.

Interesting fundraising campaign (referring to the pages at SETI all being heading by a fundraising message).

I'm not criticizing and I'm actually considering donating a little. Never thought of doing that before.

I'd say this is far more likely to find proof than scrutinizing every light in the sky or being freaked out every time we can't identify what is likely experimental or simply misidentified. SETI makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I'd watch what you wish for, you just might get it. Except you might be beamed into their cookpots or used for spare parts. It's probably just interference from the star.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
btw if we ever made contact with an ET race, i dont think it would be with radio transmissions, radio is SLOW like REALLY SLOW

Other than them landing here on Earth, how else could we comminucate?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This pretty much explains it...or does it?

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BagBing

What leads you to believe communication is possible in any event?

I always wondered about that. Like an alien life form lands on earth and we can, like, talk to them. LOL!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
co you realize what seti is?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

my dad's brother designed it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

he goes by many names, gene, oscar died. and my father went to the south pole.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

he goes by many names, gene, oscar died. and my father went to the south pole. [/quot

yeah , f # with that.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
SETI is a complete waste of time & money. imo

What are the chance aliens are even using radio's to communicate & what station - Easy listening, Rock, Country & Western? Space is so vast - what are the chances we would be dialed into the correct frequency?
No chance - 0% - go buy a lottery ticket.

& like if they ever found something of importance which they won't - do you think the Feds would release it to the public? No chance - 0%.

Peace

If aliens are coming they will be bypassing SETI & the Fed's - hopefully ; )

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Would they have to have their signals sent directly at us for this to work or are we picking up signals from an area not supposedly sending out signals to "us" but just out in general. How does anyone expect the odds of them to send signals straight towards us as we try to capture signals straight from them? There's so much to be analyzed here and there are so many factors and possibilities here

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join