SETI finds alien signals?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Deus Ex Alpha Centauri: Buy Euros Now As SETI May Have Discovered Aliens

We've started searching our Kepler SETI observations and our analyses have generated some of our first candidate signals. Each of the signals below is shown in a pair of plots, one from an observation of Kepler Object of Interest (KOI) 817 and one from an observation of KOI-812. During an observation, we alternated between targets to enable us to rule out signals seen coming from two different places in the sky. If we see a signal coming from multiple positions on the sky, like the ones below, it is very likely to be interference. The signals below are undoubtedly examples of terrestrial radio frequency interference (RFI).

What do these plots represent?

These are plots of electromagnetic energy as a function of frequency and time. Brighter colors represent more radio energy at a particular time and frequency. For example, a radio station transmitting at 101.5 MHz would produce a large amount of energy near that frequency.

Why are these signals interesting?

These signals look similar to what we think might be produced from an extraterrestrial technology. They are narrow in frequency, much narrower than would be produced by any known astrophysical phenomena, and they drift in frequency with time, as we would expect because of the doppler effect imposed by the relative motion of the transmitter and the receiving radio telescope.

It'll be long before they confirm if this is real or not, there's 50TB of data to analyze...

If this is for real, please aliens, beam me up from this planet ruled by psychopaths!

And if you want to download the signals :
Here they are in PDF
edit on 6-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

If this is for real, please aliens, beam me up from this planet ruled by psychopaths!

I second that
!!! Scotty where are you?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

I second that
!!! Scotty where are you?

But what if they "beam you up" to eat you?

Rev

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
really dont know enough about radio signals to comment
but im already preparing myself to be dissapointed...again

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The signals below are undoubtedly examples of terrestrial radio frequency interference (RFI).
reply to post by Vitchilo

He's saying this particular signal that's being discussed is from earth(terrestrial) and that the same signal is coming from two different objects, which is what tells them it's a radio signal from earth....I don't know all the particulars but they do. He's saying if they do receive an ET signal it will look like these narrow earth signals...only they'll only be coming from one location.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I just signed up to post this news, but you just beat me to it during the signup process. Has SETI ever made a statement like this before that turned out to be a false positive?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Would it really take so long to process this data they collected in early 2011? I thought they were using (among other things) the SETI@home software to distribute the processing power required?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by infiniteankh

I just signed up to post this news, but you just beat me to it during the signup process. Has SETI ever made a statement like this before that turned out to be a false positive?

The WOW signal.

And I believe a movie called Contact.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

The WOW signal was never proven to be a false alarm, though, it was just never followed up by confirmation and was presumed to be a non-ET anomaly. Note, back before SETI was more private it had to report such news to government first before going public. So, who knows if they discovered more than we ever learned about. : )

PS, I recommend reading the source of this article - seti.berkeley.edu... - over the article about it.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by Illustronic

The WOW signal was never proven to be a false alarm, though, it was just never followed up by confirmation and was presumed to be a non-ET anomaly.

A number of follow-up searches failed to detect it.
www.bigear.org...
It could be a repeating source with a period longer than 14 hours. If I had the resources, I would love to have my own amateur radio telescope pointed at those coordinates as often as possible for as long as possible and just listen, just in case it ever repeats. That's a pipe dream though.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

The WOW signal.

And I believe a movie called Contact.

But false positives don't appear all that common, so we shall see, I guess.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Kinda strange, you find an alien signal and make a PDF of the wave form....who does that ? Why is there not a wav file or a video ?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

Because it is not in the form of an audable frequency and they will have no idea how it has been modulated.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Kinda strange, you find an alien signal and make a PDF of the wave form....who does that ? Why is there not a wav file or a video ?

What are you suggesting, if anything?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

A. It is not an alien signal, it is Earth based radio interference. The folks at Berkeley are using it to show what an alien signal might look like. B. Real scientists plot data like this so that they can analyze things like its strength on various frequencies over time. They will sometimes play it as an audio recording if it sounds interesting, but usually these things sound like a hiss. C. Only hoaxers present "alien transmissions" as a video.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by R3KR

A. It is not an alien signal, it is Earth based radio interference. The folks at Berkeley are using it to show what an alien signal might look like. B. Real scientists plot data like this so that they can analyze things like its strength on various frequencies over time. They will sometimes play it as an audio recording if it sounds interesting, but usually these things sound like a hiss. C. Only hoaxers present "alien transmissions" as a video.

Seems Berkeley has edited the post since to include this info - it was not evident before though !

Update: Friday, January 6, 2012 After posting the plots below on January 5, it became clear that we had not stated as definitively and absolutely as possible that these signals are interference. We have update the post to make this clear. Sorry for any confusion.
edit on 6-1-2012 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

But false positives don't appear all that common, so we shall see, I guess.
My understanding as a previous participant of the SETIatHome program is that false positives are quite common.

The reason you don't hear them announced, is that SETI folks realize they are common, and do all kinds of screening on all the positives that are identified.

After all the screening is done, I wouldn't say false positives are rare, I'd say they are nonexistent, because there has never been a positive announcement, so how could any of them be false if there aren't any? The "WOW" signal mentioned previously was very interesting, but never confirmed, which is a requirement.

It sounds like they didn't word things as clearly as they might have initially, and have corrected it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but:

Update: Friday, January 6, 2012 After posting the plots below on January 5, it became clear that we had not stated as definitively and absolutely as possible that these signals are interference. We have update the post to make this clear. Sorry for any confusion.

Source: Seti-Berkeley Link
edit on 6-1-2012 by trekwebmaster because: Correction...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyTruth

Indeed!
When I read it it did not say that, at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Deus Ex Alpha Centauri: Buy Euros Now As SETI May Have Discovered Aliens

We've started searching our Kepler SETI observations and our analyses have generated some of our first candidate signals. Each of the signals below is shown in a pair of plots, one from an observation of Kepler Object of Interest (KOI) 817 and one from an observation of KOI-812. During an observation, we alternated between targets to enable us to rule out signals seen coming from two different places in the sky. If we see a signal coming from multiple positions on the sky, like the ones below, it is very likely to be interference. The signals below are undoubtedly examples of terrestrial radio frequency interference (RFI).

What do these plots represent?

These are plots of electromagnetic energy as a function of frequency and time. Brighter colors represent more radio energy at a particular time and frequency. For example, a radio station transmitting at 101.5 MHz would produce a large amount of energy near that frequency.

Why are these signals interesting?

These signals look similar to what we think might be produced from an extraterrestrial technology. They are narrow in frequency, much narrower than would be produced by any known astrophysical phenomena, and they drift in frequency with time, as we would expect because of the doppler effect imposed by the relative motion of the transmitter and the receiving radio telescope.

It'll be long before they confirm if this is real or not, there's 50TB of data to analyze...

And if you want to download the signals :
Here they are in PDF
edit on 6-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Its called man-made!!. But continue to fall for whatever the government throws at you.

I love it how gullible people truly believe some visitor or a distant planet would want or care to communicate with earth.....these people must assume humans are so special,,,,ahhhh

Another pathetic thread based on blind hope.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join