Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Mark Levin, a Neurosurgeon Calls In About Death Panels From Obamacare and HHS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Lucky us, bureaucrats decide who lives and dies.

WLS radio station announcer takes this call from a neurosurgeon who had just returned from D.C. to learn about patient options for those on Obamacare. Decide for yourself how you feel about a political fat cats deciding your fate or the fate of a loved one after listening to this.

How does it feel to be considered a unit instead of a patient?
edit on 1/6/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I can't watch the video from this computer.

Really wish those who post videos would give a short synopsis of what the video says.

Anyway - - is this about not prolonging the life of the elderly?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Can we get some proof?

A guy calling in and claiming to be a neurologist is only proof that there's a guy pretending to be a neurologist.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The next guy down the line can probably say it better. Basically, if you have Obamacare and are over 70 and need neurosurgery all you are going to get is comfort care. Patients are referred to as units. I hope sometime you can get a chance to watch it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Can we get some proof?

A guy calling in and claiming to be a neurologist is only proof that there's a guy pretending to be a neurologist.

Proof? Why don't you call D.C. and ask for a copy of the document he mentioned. I'm sure they would be glad to accommodate.

The announcer said that this guy was vetted by us and we know he is who he says he is.

Do you really think our loving government has something better in store for you, unit?
edit on 1/6/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The gist of it is that this neurosurgeon calls into this radio talk show to discuss a professional conference he attended in Washington. At the conference they went over documentation provided by the Department of Health and Human Services which detailed practices and policies that will be implemented as part of Obamacare. The issue that the caller is concerned with is that, according to the documents reviewed at the conference, individuals over 70 years of age who are on government healthcare plans will receive "comfort care" when they go to the emergency room, as opposed to receiving whatever treatments they may need.

Based on what the doctor said, it sounds like treatment beyond "comfort care" for these patients will have to be approved on a case by case basis. One of the doctors problems with this is that sometimes people come into the ER in the middle of the night and need brain surgery right away, and he doubts that the approval could be granted in time. He also says that in the official documentation provided by HHS, patients are not called "patients," they're called "units." This dehumanizing language reminds him of Nazi rhetoric.

It's not clear from the conversation if the policy of "comfort care only" for people older than 70 on government healthcare plans applies to all emergency room visits, or just in cases where the appropriate treatment would be neurosurgery (the conference was specifically for neurosurgeons).

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
and.... the fact that many people who don't have health care are living in the land of death panels anyway is bunk?

Sure... Whatevah!

My dad died in the land of death panels, he didn't have health insurance as he couldn't afford it, so he couldn't get the health care he needed. So those who refuse to allow universal health care in this country YOU were his death panel and YOU said to him DIE.

Everything you say about death panels, if you vote against universal health care... YOU ARE THE DEATH PANEL.

How can you live with yourselves?

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by Annee

Basically, if you have Obamacare and are over 70 and need neurosurgery all you are going to get is comfort care.

I'm 65 and I agree with that.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Basically, if you have Obamacare and are over 70 and need neurosurgery all you are going to get is comfort care.

Do you have Obamacare?
Not trying to get personal, but that is relevant to you putting your age out there.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't support Obamacare, but I don't think this sort of thing is a compelling argument against it...

If you can't afford your own health insurance or health care, you're at the mercy of the government (/everyone who pays taxes) to pay for it for you. There aren't unlimited resources, so of course decisions have to be made about who gets what. People freak out about "death panels" but, what does anyone expect? Of course not everyone can get unlimited medical care - society isn't prepared to devote all of the money to this issue. If someone could live for an additional year but it would cost a hundred thousand dollars, should the government pay it? What if it would only extend their life by a month? What if it were two addition weeks of life for two hundred thousand dollars? Clearly, a line has be drawn somewhere.

When a person expects the government to buy them something, public resources have to be allocated. That means people's treatment has to be prioritized; comparative values judgments have to be made, and ultimately someone has to decide how much people's lives are worth. If you want universal healthcare, this part of the deal that you're making with the government. They're not going to spend and infinite amount of money to keep you alive...they have to decide on a specific number.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Do you have Obamacare?
Not trying to get personal, but that is relevant to you putting your age out there.

I have Medicare. I support social healthcare.

I don't support prolonging life - just to prolong life. I do support comfort care - - - and think limiting pain medicine is inhuman.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I am really sorry you lost your father. No hospital would extend charity? I have been to Catholic hospitals and know many patients with no insurance who got treatment. I had no insurance when I lived in Texas and went to the county hospital and got free treatment.

Clearly, this doctor is mad because the government is telling him who and who he can't treat. My family doctor said Obamacare is going to cause many doctors to leave their practice and discourage many from becoming doctors. Personally, I wouldn't want to work in a system where patients are referred to as units.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You just agreed with a decision made as to whether someone has the right to live or die based on their age. You agree with the death panel. Don't mince words that is what it is.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

My family doctor said Obamacare is going to cause many doctors to leave their practice and discourage many from becoming doctors. Personally, I wouldn't want to work in a system where patients are referred to as units.

Maybe we just need to rethink being a doctor.

Does Obamacare exclude private practice?

I've had medical issues all my life. I would rather have a national social health program - - be referred to as a unit - - then no opportunity at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You just agreed with a decision made as to whether someone has the right to live or die based on their age. You agree with the death panel. Don't mince words that is what it is.

YES - I did.

Death panel? Isn't that a bit dramatic?

How old are you?

I listed my age to give credibility to my opinion. I am 65 - - I do not support prolonging life to prolong life. That would include myself.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm 57. I am on Social Security disability and on Medicare. I have a son on that is still insured on my ex-husband's insurance because it was mandated by Obamacare.

I'm glad this doctor spoke out. I really like to know what the government is up to. Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Now we have socialized medicine and those with private insurance get their lives prolonged and those without it don't. And justice for all??????????????? Were you paying attention to the efforts being made to penalize private insurance throughout the discussion of this bill? - more government control with an agenda to phase out private insurance.

No, I did not support Obamacare. Any 1,000 plus page document that Nancy Pelosi says: "We have to pass it to find out what is in it." is just crazy.

Time will tell how wonderful Obamacare will be.

edit on 1/6/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Do you really think our loving government has something better in store for you, unit?
edit on 1/6/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

Thanks for that line...I am still laughing!

Yes, we are all "units"....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'm 57. I am on Social Security disability and on Medicare. I have a son on that is still insured on my ex-husband's insurance because it was mandated by Obamacare.

I'm glad this doctor spoke out. I really like to know what the government is up to. Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty

What is the government up to?

Trying to provide basic care for everyone?

Sorry - - I'm not anti-government.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'm glad this doctor spoke out. I really like to know what the government is up to. Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty

What is the government up to?

Trying to provide basic care for everyone?

Sorry - - I'm not anti-government.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Late addition to my last post:

Now we have socialized medicine and those with private insurance get their lives prolonged and those without it don't. And justice for all??????????????? Were you paying attention to the efforts being made to penalize private insurance throughout the discussion of this bill? - more government control with an agenda to phase out private insurance.

No, I did not support Obamacare. Any 1,000 plus page document that Nancy Pelosi says: "We have to pass it to find out what is in it." is just crazy.

Time will tell how wonderful Obamacare will be.

Also, the government spending is out of control.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

more government control with an agenda to phase out private insurance.

OMG NO! The insurance companies have been so good to all of us, please dont make them go away!

Ahem. I wonder if sad eyed lady works for Allstate?
edit on 6-1-2012 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join