It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Alarm : Death penalty in Saudi Arabia almost triples

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

UN Alarm : Death penalty in Saudi Arabia almost triples

www.ansamed.info

GENEVA, JANUARY 6 - The UN High Commissioner on Human Rights has today expressed alarm over the ''significant'' increase in the use of the death penalty in Saudi Arabia. The number of executions almost tripled last year compared with 2010, said UN High Commissioner on Human Rights spokesman Rupert Colville in citing a number of reports.

According to data from organisations such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, the number of executions went from 27 in 2010 to over 70 in 2011, noted Colville.

edit on 6-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
While the reasons for some of the executions in Saudi Arabia lack common sense (witchcraft), and some of their punishments cruel (cross amputation), I think there needs to be a closer examination of the use of the death penalty worldwide. Look at the following information regarding the number of people on "death row" in the US:

www.eji.org...

3242 people in the United States currently are under a death sentence. Since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, 1266 men, women, children, and mentally ill people have been shot, hanged, asphyxiated, lethally injected, and electrocuted by States and the federal government.

Mounting evidence shows that innocent people have been sentenced to death and that serious legal errors infect the administration of capital punishment. For every eight people executed in this country, one innocent person on death row has been identified and exonerated. In response to growing concerns about reliability, many states have suspended executions or experienced a decline in the use of capital punishment, but most southern states have continued to condemn and execute large numbers of people who disproportionately are poor and racial minorities.

If the UN feels that 70 people being executed in Saudia Arabia in 2011 is excessive,
what about the rest of the world?

What percentage of population in a single country is an acceptable figure?

What about the innocent people that have been executed in the world?

www.ansamed.info

edit on 6-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Maybe the UN should take into account the cultural history behind the ME, as well as their way of life, as it is drastically different to the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Explanation: S&F!

For comparitive purposes only OL took the number of executed in the USA since 1976 = 1266 and divided that by the 35yrs since then & I came up with a total = just over 36 executions per yer in the USA or about 1 every 10days [aprox].

Personal Disclosure: I hope that puts things in a clearer perspective!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Please remember that the population of Saudi Arabia is about 26 million, while the US is about 310 million. As you pointed out, The Saudis executed 70 in 2011. Americans executed 43.

All those numbers mean that the Saudis are executing people at about 20 times the rate that Americans are.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So the UN actually noticed something going on that didn't have to do with bashing the USA? WOW. Amazing. I'm wondering why the corrupt cesspool United Nations is even bothering to pretend that it's there for the good of the world. If the UN is 'calling out' Saudi Arabia on this, then it's probably because someone at the UN didn't get their usual 'shut-up' payoff money from a Saudi Agent.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

As you have pointed out Saudi Arabi does have a much lower population than the US, and the US has executed less people. If you use the numbers you gave, it is still only a tiny percentage of the population of each country that were we executed in 2011.

The real importance of this subject is the percentage of those people executed who were INNOCENT. In Saudi Arabi you can be executed for witchcraft. Where is the reasoning for execution in that? The same goes for all countries. Many people are executed in the US that are later found to be innocent. This is where the focus should be. No man or woman, anywhere in the world, should be executed unless thier guilt of a terrible crime is proven 100%, and in some cases such as mental illness, proof of the crime may not always be a viable reason to execute them.

Taking someone's life is something that should be weighed carefully....no room for error should be had.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Dear isyeye,

I agree with much of what you have said, and I agree with all of your major points. There are two small areas that I have reservations about, I hope you don't mind if I mention them.

Many people are executed in the US that are later found to be innocent.
The death of any innocent person is a tragedy, even one. But I'm not sure that the word "many" conveys a correct impression. I think I might have changed that word.

The Death Penalty Information Center (U.S.) has published a list of 8 inmates "executed but possibly innocent". At least 39 executions are claimed to have been carried out in the U.S. in the face of evidence of innocence or serious doubt about guilt.

The other area that is difficult for me comes from:

'No man or woman, anywhere in the world, should be executed unless thier guilt of a terrible crime is proven 100% . . . . no room for error should be had
I may be misunderstanding you but our legal system is operated by people, people who are never 100% fool proof. There can be no justice system which is that good.

Other than those possibly minor comments, I'm with you absolutely. Especially with

Taking someone's life is something that should be weighed carefully.....

Thanks for responding to me.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Sort of Texas, eh?..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I'm not sure if your comment

Sort of Texas, eh?..
was meant for me. I'd be happy to respond if you would explain it for me. Remember, my signature is "I'm not the sharpest bulb in the drawer."

top topics

join