It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Park Forrest, Illinois pummeled by meteorites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Howcome I didn't hear about this last year? Holes through people's houses, roofs, windows, etc...

"The fireball approached from the southwest and was visible from parts of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Missouri. The subsequent meteorite shower hit the southern suburbs of Chicago at approximately 11:50 p.m. on March 26, 2003. Hundreds of meteorite fragments ranging from a few grams to 5.26 kilograms were recovered from the elongate strewnfield (approximately 8 x 3 kilometers), which spread by strong westerly winds over residential neighborhoods and a forest preserve (see the map below). The smallest pieces were deflected the furthest eastward and the largest pieces, carrying more momentum, were deflected the least. "

Full story
Some videos -- these are cool, even has one of the larger chunks caught on a policecar's dash camera as it comes roaring in.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by CatHerder]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Wow.That look dangerous wouldn't want to be there when that happened. Anyone get injured or killed during this. I never saw anything on the news about this.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Look how many landed... (all the BIG ones on residential areas too)

I can't find anything (yet) that says people were injured, but I have found a couple other articles and websites about it.

There is also mention of people being injured in India in another meteorite fall.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by CatHerder]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
yeah, their library has them on display, now. They like to boast that they are the only library in the Metropolitan Library System that has a collection of things from outer space.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Man, I think someone there outta' play the lottery now!

new topics

top topics

join