It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Believe in 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I'm back once again with a question for supporters of the various 2012 theories. This one is actually quite simple. Why? Why do you put so much belief into this event occurring? The other day I made a thread asking for someone to provide me with an example of the Long Count that ends after 13 baktun. So far the only person that has replied to that thread is stereologist. In other words nobody has been able to find an example of the Long Count that ends after 13 baktun. If you can't even provide evidence of the most basic elements of these theories, why do you believe in them? I must be missing something here. People who support these theories claim to be open minded and that they have done intensive research. In the end however the sources always come up the same. New Age authors that are either misinterpreting archaeological evidence or telling outright lies. So, why do you put so much faith into these theories when you haven't even looked for the primary sources they come from?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Theories are like candy for my brain a open mind is a healthy mind
supporting a theory is not the same as believing in it, because its still just a theory.
if the theory dont come true its just as fascinating as if it does.

I like theories, I like ATS

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe just because they want to? Maybe because the reality we are in now - media, educational, religious manipulation - I think allot of people find a form of solace in these doomsday subjects. You say they have no credible sources, which allot of time maybe is the case, but that may not mean anything to them because like you said they're open minded and know that the manipulation we have all had through official sources, shouldn't enable us to say that a certain source is any less credible than another - all because ones 'official'

Personally, i dont think much is going to happen on 2012, but i know not to completely disregarded the possibility of something happening because im not ignorant like that. I wont prepare, i wont warn everybody i know, but i will look at the dates with a little speculation.

Besides all that, its these people that keep ATS interesting, keep it up lads

edit on 6-1-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

Theories are like candy for my brain a open mind is a healthy mind
supporting a theory is not the same as believing in it, because its still just a theory.
if the theory dont come true its just as fascinating as if it does.

I like theories, I like ATS

It goes bad when Theories becomes Beliefs, as with some people and 2012, which in return affect financial, mental.. etc etc

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why do people believe in 2012? Well...people have been obsessed with doomsday prophecies for eons, 2012 just happens to be the next one in line. I think a lot of people are so fed up with the status quo, they wish for something to happen, to shake things up a bit and bring about change. Is it wishful thinking? Most likely.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

The thing is these 2012 believers claims that there is mainstream archaeological support for their beliefs. However, when pressed for examples they are unable to give any. Instead, they link to some New Age author who claims that something exists and then they too provide no examples. This is no different than the sheople that follow the mainstream media. These people can't even support the most basic of claims that these theories revolve around; that the Mayan Long Count ends after 13 baktun. If these people are the ones that keep ATS running maybe that's why it has gone downhill in recent years. They are not denying ignorance. Instead they are blindly believing any theory presented to them as long as it's "alternative."

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

Wishful thinking and dangerous thinking. I have been saying this for a while now, but the ones who buy into these theories are the ones that see there are problems with the world, but are too lazy to do anything about it. They expect some cosmic reset button to be pressed so they don't need to do the work that needs to be done. Instead they can just sit around expounding on how the world needs to change without actually making any attempt to make a difference.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think the reason people believe in 2012 theory is that, this is the only theory that came over all other doomsday predictions in media.

Some people want "something" to happen, be it alien invasion, a total wipeout, a new understanding of life, or truth, to break their normal lifestyle such as usual 9-5 for 5 days in a row, i don't think we were ever suppose to work like that. It causes too much stress and affects health.

Eventho i don't believe in it, but i would be happy to any good change in my life, if i knew life would be different after high school, i would have enjoyed it even more.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The Mayans weren't the only ones who predicted an event that would change the world as we know it.

The Chinese, Hopi, Hindus, Incas, Aztec and the Egyptians all have predictions dealing with 2012. Apparently there are also predictions from Mother Shipton, Nostradamus, Merlin (of all people?), the Bible, etc, etc, etc...
Time-Wave Zero is based on the I-Ching, however I don't put that much faith in that theory.

I really think the "end of the world" thing is a mis-translation, most prophecies foretell a new age. I also think people read what they want to out of general statements. The Bible for instance does not give a date for Revelations.... how reliable is that? My personal belief is that something will change, but I don't see mass cataclysm.

On December 21st 2012, we will align with the Galactic center. It's going to be something special, but who really knows for sure?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by bekisu

Wishful thinking and dangerous thinking. I have been saying this for a while now, but the ones who buy into these theories are the ones that see there are problems with the world, but are too lazy to do anything about it. They expect some cosmic reset button to be pressed so they don't need to do the work that needs to be done. Instead they can just sit around expounding on how the world needs to change without actually making any attempt to make a difference.

I agree! It's a lot like people who watch the secret, who believe that just by thinking a certain way they can change their lives. Most fail to realize there is more to it then that, the right attitude is important, it provides fuel to accomplish things, but you accomplish nothing just by sitting around and thinking about it. Action is required.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What we have here is someone who is simply repeating claims they have heard made by New Age authors or their followers. I have done extensive research into these "other prophecies." They don't exist. As for the "alignment" on December 21, 2012, why is it anymore special than the one in 1998 when we were more closely aligned with the center of the galaxy?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I am a boyscout at heart, and my boyscout leader taught me one thing that will stick with me for the rest of my life, "be prepared". For what I asked? "Anything" was his response. Stuck with me since. Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. Nothing bad ever came out of preparation. The best thing that could happen is nothing at all, and then you have all that stuff to play with and use on family camping trips and holidays.

I also think some of the 2012 predictions running around could be self fulfilling if people get too worked up about it. Things like financial collapse are very possible. A bank run could set up a bad scenario. As far as fire and brimstone, I don't think it will be like that.
edit on 1/6/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

then please cite these alledged "predictions "

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

~shrugs~ I guess you've done more homework than I have. I really don't have a personal investment in these 'prophecies'. It is my opinion that if one looks hard enough at ANYTHING, they will find what they're looking for. Worrying about something simply won't change whatever comes our way if something does. In 2011 alone, we have seen so many natural disasters, but the world is still here... has been for a very long time. I have an emergency kit and a plan... so if we have a flood or something, we're good. Otherwise, we'll meet for drinks on 'the other side'.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

i see you here, at it again,
trying to futilely prevent,divert, and obstruct
the Immanentization of the Eschaton
www.chaosmatrix.org...
why?
are you afeared of change?
does the present order of things suit and soothe you?

the purpose of all calendars, being the keeping track of cyclical events
tell me, O wise Whistler past the Graveyard,
all the previous Ages[Suns] ended with a catastrophe of global proportions,
what makes the current Age/Sun special or exempt?

edit on 6-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: pic

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I'm back once again with a question for supporters of the various 2012 theories. This one is actually quite simple. (1) Why? Why do you put so much belief into this event occurring? The other day I made a thread asking for someone to provide me with an example of the (2) Long Count that ends after 13 baktun. So far the only person that has replied to that thread is stereologist. In other words nobody has been able to find an example of the Long Count that ends after 13 baktun. If you can't even provide evidence of the most basic elements of these theories, why do you believe in them? I must be missing something here. People who support these theories claim to be open minded and that they have done intensive research. In the end however the sources always come up the same. New Age authors that are either misinterpreting archaeological evidence or telling outright lies. (3) So, why do you put so much faith into these theories when you haven't even looked for the primary sources they come from?

I can answer all of your questions easily.

Question (2) is not a good question. I think you just don't understand what you're talking about. The alleged significance of 12/21/2012 is that the 13th B'ak'tun ends, which is the Long Count period that corresponds with the era we are currently living in. No one is arguing that "the calendar ends," and if they are, they are just misunderstanding it. After the 13th B'ak'tun ends, that 14th B'ak'tun begins (13.0.0.0.0).

The beginning and ending of Eras was important in the Mayan culture, as one could reasonably expect.

Questions (1) and (3) are essentially the same. Answer: It's fun, and thrilling to think you're privy to special knowledge. Some people naturally seek adventure, and in our society, that adventure too often comes from 'gurus' or 'alternative media icons' who are laying out a path of exploration. It twists, and turns, it rebels against the mainstream, and it offers a big pay off. And what might be best of all? It's exclusive. It's like a private club.

You are acting genuinely confused as to why people would be interested in it, but I suspect you're just being an ass. Don't lie. It's obvious. And you know what, who cares? I was personally pretty thrilled when I first learned about it, years and years ago, but my studies have led me to believe that it is a pretty cool thing, and can be spiritually significant for many people, but will not be any type of physically significant event. There will not be any major global earth changes, and I will probably not turn into a light-body with Jedi powers. Damn.

edit on 6-1-2012 by TimeSpiral because: f-off

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

LOL
ALL of them?!?

You've got to be kidding me, I'd be writing a bloody book here... don't you have Google? Or maybe pick a few that you're not familiar with and we can discuss them. There is something like 12 different cultures having similar prophecies!!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I can't help giggling at the title- why or how to not believe in 2012? What do you prefer to call it ? 2011? 2013? Or a whole different system altogether?? Do you argue with the telephone company that they put the date 2012 on your bills? (I don't believe in that!)
I am guessing from such comments I see often that the idea of a doomsday event has been largely infused into the very numbers in the US? Not in other countries so much.

Here's what I propose-
We all focus on things which correspond ot what we are feeling. There have always been doomsday predictions, for probably every year, coming from someone, somewhere. Why do more people focus on them at one time rather than another? Is it the predictions that cause the feeling of an upcoming event.....or is the feeling of an upcoming events which cause one to focus on a prediction?

Things are rather troubled in the world right now, similar to the way they were before the second world war, economically politically socially.....it's possible we have trouble up ahead and everyone might be sensing that. It might have nothing to do with any ancient predictions- but they certainly give us something to point at when we can't find a clear and definitive explanation or framework for gut feelings.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
While I don't subscribe to any particular theory on 2012, I have no doubt in my mind that something is going to happen this year. One simply needs to pay attention to all of the events that are happening currently to know that some drastic changes are in the works. And I do not believe it to be coincidental that many cultures, traditions and religions have spoken or reference this time as a time of great change.

Look at our institutions, look at our breakthroughs, look at the crumbling of our materialistic global economy, or our peak of resources (which will start to dwindle), look at our moral fabric, look at our climate and environment. Look at the planetary changes happening throughout our solar system and look at our sun. Something is up.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

As I have mentioned in the past, these claims of multiple suns/Earths/ages/etc. comes exclusively from post-Columbian texts. On top of that they come exclusively from texts that were influenced by Christian beliefs. Now, 13 baktuns is equal to about 5129 years. What is the major catastrophe that occurred 5129 years ago? What about 5129 years before that? What about the 80,000 years humans existed before the so-called first world? You can make these claims, but when they come from texts that do not reflect traditional Mayan beliefs and they are not supported by historical fact they don't really do a good job at providing support for the claims surrounding 2012.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join