It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment rate falls as economy adds 200K jobs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
link

A burst of hiring in December pushed the unemployment rate to its lowest level in nearly three years, giving the economy a boost at the end of 2011.

The Labor Department said Friday that employers added a net 200,000 jobs last month and the unemployment rate fell to 8.5 percent, the lowest since February 2009. The rate has dropped for four straight months.

The hiring gains cap a six-month stretch in which the economy generated 100,000 jobs or more in each month. That hasn't happened since April 2006. T

he steady drop is a positive sign for President Barack Obama, who is bound to face voters with the highest unemployment rate of any sitting president since World War II. Unemployment was 7.8 percent when Obama took office in January 2009.

Still, the level may matter less to his re-election chances if the rate continues to fall. History suggests that presidents' re-election prospects hinge less on the unemployment rate itself than on the rate's direction during the year or two before Election Day.

For all of 2011, the economy added 1.6 million jobs, better than the 940,000 added in 2010. The unemployment rate averaged 8.9 percent last year, down from 9.6 percent the previous year.

am i the only person who wants to call BS on this? or is the economy actually swinging around now...just something tells me this is just another one of their job-analysis puff pieces to make them look good...or at least not as terrible! or was this just a magnification of the holiday season help numbers? everyone hires people for the holidays...
edit on 1/6/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Listening to npr too?

I liked how they ran one story about how hard it is to find jobs and two stories later they ran this story.

Which is it?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Temporary christmas workers...nothing more

Now christmas is over they have to wake up because christmas always provides a 'boost' now there is a whole 12 months for the entire world economy to tank...and it will

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

An old statistics saying.

"Torture numbers long enough and they'll give you any answer you want."

Obama is running for re-election. Jobs are going to "appear", economy will blossom, birds will sing, unicorns will prance, and the Emperor Obama will graciously take credit for all.

All hail his magnificance!
*bow*
Emperor Obama!

Then after the election, unemployment will rise, the economy will tank, the country will be in ruins and he'll then place blame on republicans, conservatives, Tea Party, monkey-ninjas, and planet frigggin' Nirubu!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
so where are the jobs? im not going to work fast food, im 26 and have worker out at spirit aerosystems till i got let go for a disagreement with the boss. that was almost a year ago, i have been looking for something and no one is hiring right now that would be worth my time. i just cant see working at a fast food place that would only pay 7.15 an hour . so i ask agine where are the jobes
edit on 6-1-2012 by NISMOALTI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You just made my day, anybody that knews how the government statistics work and more so in election year, will do the math and comes out with the right answer.

Still lets see how those numbers hold at the end of January mid February when the retail starts to shed the seasonal employees after inventories.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Humble thanks, ma'am.

Government math. 2 - 3 = 100! We win! YAY!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

The economy is on the upswing only because a handful of people were hired for the month of december for the xmass rush.
Fear not, the figures will show that unemployement will be back up and the economy down as of about january 3.
Yeah you're pretty much right in your suspicion.

(Edit)
But if there were jobs created, where is the new factory that is making something,...anything?
Nope, everything is still made in china...
Lies, no new jobs.
edit on 6-1-2012 by g146541 because: further instruction

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
US government is in an all out deception mode. The numbers are being manipulated and fabricated for election charade. Don't be surprised to see more positive numbers throughout the year.

2nd and 3rd largest economies (China and Japan) and India are no longer using US dollar to trade among themselves. Investors around the world know that US businesses are full of frauds at the highest level.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If they were government jobs it is a net loss for the country. Yeah the people might be working but are producing nothing sellable for it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
And then there is the level headed way of looking at it...

"some of the strength in this report should be discounted because of an seasonal quirk in the courier category of payrolls (Fed-ex, UPS, etc). Jobs in this sector jumped 42,000 in December, repeating a pattern seen in 2009 and 2010 (see attached figure). We should see a payback in next month's report."

Source

ETA: After they give back these numbers plus the seasonal workers what will be left? Might just go back into the red again.

edit on 1/6/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

reply to post by beezzer

haha.. both your replies made me think of this spitting image sketch on job losses and gains from my younger years...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Just statistics , numbers , what normal joe on the street can ever validate and say 100% that the figures are true , he / she cannot , TPTB are waking up to the fact that the lies they have spun for decades , centuries are starting to be questioned on an hourly basis , scrutiny by the public is but a mouse click away , granted everything on the net is not gospel , but it is a start.

The 1929 crash public would have changed history if they had net access back then 4 sure, then again what the F
would the state have done to anyone protesting........ yeah took em down and out 4 sure.

The media is on the run now , with all the alternative web and cable news shows, even if Reuters and AP is Rothchild owned , we now have light at the end of the tunnel

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sounds like seasonal numbers. It doesn't sound like it is getting better. Announced Boeing Plant to close, Alcoa laying off, Whirlpool announced plant closings, local airline Air Trans ended flights, Cargil layoffs, Nasa laying off 8000. ???

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It's actually improving. This may mean we've identified a bottom, and we're living at the new normal. We've wiped out a few industries and others that should've been purged are on life support. A slow recovery due to austerity and taxes means we won't see the prosperity we saw up to 2008 again. Although in maybe 10 years we'll return to the same number of employed, a good percentage of the population is unemployed for good.

Without further ado, here are charts based on (government) numbers from: www.bls.gov...

Note how employed bottomed out in Dec 2009

The number of eligible people not working may have peaked in June 2011

The number of US population (est 313M) not working based on employment numbers peaked in July 2011

Welcome to the new normal.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Yes, all of the unemployment reports are a farce.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the last three years, even using the Bureau of Labor & Statistics numbers, but only to a degree. Why do you think the Mass Layoff reports don't come out until the end of the month? It's so you'll forget about it after the non-farm payroll numbers are released. The truth is that the layoff numbers have always exceeded the employment numbers. In my reports, I only allow the BLS to "change" a previous month's numbers one time. If you look at the bottom of current reports, you'll notice that they keep adding numbers and revising past reports from a couple of months back now.

Here are my numbers:

2009 = 0 Gained, 4.275 Million Lost
2010 = 1.176 Million Gained, 1.837 Million Lost
2011 = 1.423 Million Gained, 1.506 Million Lost (Not Including December, as Report is not released yet)

For 2011, we averaged losses of 136,000 per month over the last 11 months, so you should tentatively add that to the 1.506 Million that have already been lost this year. If I average the gains, they came to 118,000 per month, so losses are still higher than the gains, even though the unemployment rate keeps dropping (due to removing the number of people looking for jobs off of reports).

So, needless to say, the jobs gained are probably still high since they keep revising the number over a period of months, hoping you won't notice it. By the way, I've never seen a Mass Layoff report showing an adjustment for a previous month because they "miscalculated" or didn't have all the numbers in like you see on the Employment Situation reports.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Probably all government jobs and seasonal hires; didnt you hear that the US GOV was getting two new departments? Not to mention a single person has to do 2-3 parttime low paying jobs these days to survive. These little part time jobs are what they are counting as full-time with pay benefits etc. A REAL JOB, not stupid partime jobs!

Theres your 200K Jobs right there:

US forms Bureau of Counterterrorism and Bureau of Conflict Stabilization Operations

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ron will do away with all these superfluous government jobs to show the true extent of the uneployment.
edit on 6-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: addition..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Lies and statistical manipulation aside, the numbers still aren't great at all regardless.

The markets don't care much for it either, even if the media is having an orgasm over the report.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
IF you want the real number you have to add people that stopped looking for work and have exhausted benefits. The REAL number of unemployed...people that do not have a job (no just those that dont have job and are looking) is around 12%. Of course these numbers will be spun however the government wants to get re-elected and to steal money from the american money machine...OUR TAXES.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

The funniest thing is when a company hires someone seasonally for say Christmas, that person is considered employed by the Government and the unemployment rate rises. When the person is let go at the end of the season, the person is considered "outside the workforce" because they were not employed for a full year, and thus cannot be re-added to the unemployment numbers and cannot apply for new unemployment if they are outside the minimum time requirements set by the state.

Not to mention last month in a thread I ran the numbers of the hired as compared to the percentage lowered and it revealed a working population less than the population of the state of California.

Key lesson here: #%!% the Government, NEVER listen to a damn thing they say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join