It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does not compute..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Anyone who is old enough will remember the days computers talked to us like this, and I liked it but now programmers are making all our gadgets seem more an more human and personable.
I for one want to know that Iam interacting with a computer I want them to talk in a robotic voice and speak to us (written word etc) like a computer, I don't want to be mates with my computer it doesn't have to say sorry everytime it cant do something I want messages like Syntax Error does not compute (No idea what it means lol) when I cock it up.
The new phones where you can ask it questions are an example of this, Siri I think its called, although they are a little dumb at the moment I think one day they will act like our best mates. I don't want to be pals with something that has no mind.
Also watch Alien again Hal 9000 anyone lol

So Rant over.(BTW it is a bit off a jk rant but still a rant)

edit on 6-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wouldnt worry about computers being your mate..

One day they will be your leader....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Made me giggle that one

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Too late Bro, people interact with their phones and computers more than humans now by a wiiiide margin.
Why my computer can allow me to brag to my other friends via social networking how much better my life is than theirs, or I can run a farm and get gifts from my "online" friends, or I can explore mystical lands and actually slay trolls!!
I was holiday shopping with my lifelong best buddy the other day for our wives and we sometimes walk the malls, (more for the cardio than the shopping
) but 5 girls teenage come walking out of a store and every one of them has phone in hand and is giggling about what they are reading.
It seems they were all together but totally oblivious to each others presence...
What have the skinjobs got that could beat that?
Oh yeah human interaction.
Or just a summer hike.
Don't let it bother you, all is going according to plan.
Stagnation kills and someone has to eventually notice this.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
hahaha... I have to agree with that, but you know what I find even more frustrating? The phone robots you encounter when you are trying to call a company. I always dread having to make a call to the cable company or the like. I know I'll have to deal with that cheerful plastic female voice that I'm certain is mocking me. You know what, I'd rather deal with someone who lives on the other side of the world and speaks broken English...at least there is still some empathy there loI. I really hate the new set-up they have where you are supposed to actually talk to this robot woman. Then of course it doesn't understand what you are saying and you have to repeat yourself 5 times. Gaaaaaah!! I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it, and not a good way to start my day lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
lol this robot off hitch hikers guide to the galaxy makes me laugh. it is a depressed emo personality prototype hilarious though

www.youtube.com...
edit on 6-1-2012 by TBR47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Just wait before they couple that vibration ability with a seductive male voice app. Then you can really complain!
(Probably, it has happened already.)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

LOL....I love that character... "Life.....don't talk to me about life...."

Awesome stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Damn right. I regularly get a healthy dose of technophobia and bloody smart arsed computers do not help one bit! Give me human interaction anyday (he says while typing at a computer!
).

I already occasionally say thank you to cash machines when im not thinking. I can't face the thought of other machinery talking to me too - apart from anything else it would get me paranoid about the "voices" i keep hearing!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
LOL, I agree with you that computers should be less personable, I think it does not do us humans any good by talking to computers etc.

It is so annoying when out with a group of friends and they all seem more interested in their mobiles, facebook etc... or maybe I am just boring and bad company to keep lol

new topics

top topics

join