It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy in Boxing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Amir Khan has accused an unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards during his defeat by Lamont Peterson.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I like the odd boxing match and watched this one live, personally I thought Khan just edged it but the judges gave the fight to Lamont Peterson.
Khan is saying that a person talked to the judge in question during the fight and when the score card was shown, it showed a correction on the card.

Sky sports is showing the video and yes a man is seen talking to the judge from round 6 and continued talking to him thoughout the rest of the bout.
At the end the adding up of the scorecards took an unusual amount of time to add up, Freddie Roach Khans trainer added "I mean, how hard can it be to add 12 rounds of boxing up?".
Khan has asked who the man is but so far the boxing authorities have not answered.
Personally I have always suspected boxing could be rigged, a lot of money is bet on these bouts, so what do you all think? Sour grapes or should there be some sort of investigation?

edit on 6-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Is there any way you can post a picture of the man and will look into it? Some of these "find the celebrity in you" sites might help if the person is indeed known. Failing that someone may recognise who it it

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

here is the sky sports segment

Looks really dodgy to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well.... Sport is corrupted, mainly because of the money coming from the bookies.
It's well visible in football, where in last 20 years, prices of footballers had gone through the roof. Nearly every western football league was accused of corruption at some stage, usually swept under the rug, or at best few scape goats had been chosen to be prosecuted to calm the nation.
I don't watch sport anymore, apart from Olympics and some national footbal matches. All the rest is rubbish.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Does look a bit dodgy with the score being changed.. But it has to be said, boxing in the UK is highly regulated, I'm sure it would be impossible for someone to influence a judge.. especially during a fight..

This is more likely an error on the judges part by putting the scores under the wrong boxer.. they both look as though they are changed from 8 to 10 (or 10 to 8) depending on which way you look at it...
The score total seems to be ok throughout the card aswell with no changes.. (unless they fill that out after)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Given that there can be a lot of money riding on the outcome of a big fight I wouldn't put it past some people to try and influence the officials so that the outcome they desire comes true along with alot of betting money

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

It was in the US. Watch the video and you can see a man sat next to the judge pointing to the card, the rules are no one is even allowed to talk to the judge during a bout.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Misterlondon

It was in the US. Watch the video and you can see a man sat next to the judge pointing to the card, the rules are no one is even allowed to talk to the judge during a bout.

I have watched the video now.. (you hadnt posted it when i replied)

I retract my last statement..

Something is definitely not right there.. At one point is looks as though the guy holding one of the score cards.. I'll be watching this one closely..

This will completely destroy the sport if found to be the case..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This quote from a daily mail article

"'You can see clearly on the pictures that he's handling the slips in between rounds and he's talking and liaising with the WBA official.

'He identified himself as an IBF official. Now there was no seat on the top table for this individual - we already had a designated seat for an IBF official which was taken up, and we don't know who this guy is.'

Vali claimed that WBA official Welsh appeared to be 'frightened' by the presence of the individual.

'The conversation between the WBA official and this individual seems to be ongoing at all times,' he said. 'We've not heard or seen of Michael Welsh since the fight. Golden Boy Promotions [Khan's US-based promoter] have tried to get some answers from the WBA."

Very interesting, guess the guy must be some kind of mobster

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Boxing has always been rigged my friend, and i fear it won't be long until my beloved sport of Muay Thai falls to the same fate

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Is it Rev Run from Run DMC, aka Joseph Simmons? en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Could be.. Imagine if it was someone related to Peterson or his own team in some way though, now that would be a very, very interesting outcome.

Either way I do hope we see a re-match here, and I especially hope Khan gets his belts back in the near future too, personally I don't think for a second he deserved to lose them.

EDIT: Oh, and guess what else guys.. above I just mentioned how interesting it would be if this man was related to Peterson in some way, well I just stumbled across this article: "Mystery Man" Celebrated With Peterson

This could be very interesting..

Oh, and if anyone wants to get a good look at this guy, here's a screenshot from the video in this post:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/dr4f06f443.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 6-1-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

The plot thickens, wow this is a con, I hope the British boxing govening body gets involved, the evidence is rising that this was rigged.
Cheers for finding that

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Unfortunately we can't be sure if it's true at this stage though, but if it is then expect this to turn into rather large scandal that could potentially ruin the reputation of boxing (This type of thing could go on a lot for all we know). I'd expect Peterson to lose his license too. Oh, and best of all.. we get those belts back in British hands again.

Here's a snippet from the above source I posted btw:

"The rule is: whenever the judges are working, no one is allowed to touch the judges' papers or scorecards.

"Were they scorecards? I don't know. That's the thing I want to know and that's the complaint I sent out. The WBA have promised me, within the next 24 hours, they're going to let me know exactly what happened."

The man is first seen sitting in the front row before being moved out of his seat by Walsh and to sit right by Khan's promoter Oscar de la Hoya, father Shah and business manager Asif Vali.

During the bout he moves back up to sit next to Walsh at the table where one of the three judges was stationed, and the discussions then started.

"They put a chair right in front of my dad, Oscar and Asif. I remember him sat there and at first they asked who he was," Khan said.

"He was told to leave that area because you need accreditation to be at ringside (so) he was told to leave - he wouldn't leave.

"Then, for some reason, he moved his chair right up to the judges table and was sat there throughout the fight

Khan also says this about his reaction after the fight:

"After watching it on tape, you see him around the same corner as Lamont Peterson's team, cheering with them and celebrating. "

It's also worth pointing out this article was posted around half an hour ago I believe so It's something new to read through at least.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Amir Khan has accused an unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards during his defeat by Lamont Peterson.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I like the odd boxing match and watched this one live, personally I thought Khan just edged it but the judges gave the fight to Lamont Peterson.
Khan is saying that a person talked to the judge in question during the fight and when the score card was shown, it showed a correction on the card.

Sky sports is showing the video and yes a man is seen talking to the judge from round 6 and continued talking to him thoughout the rest of the bout.
At the end the adding up of the scorecards took an unusual amount of time to add up, Freddie Roach Khans trainer added "I mean, how hard can it be to add 12 rounds of boxing up?".
Khan has asked who the man is but so far the boxing authorities have not answered.
Personally I have always suspected boxing could be rigged, a lot of money is bet on these bouts, so what do you all think? Sour grapes or should there be some sort of investigation?

I saw the fight as well. Khan won the boxing match but lost the fight due to point deductions for things the ref deemed unsportsmanlike conduct (holding or something). It is apparent that someone told the judge that he missed the point deduction on the scorecard, hence the correction. Khan would have won had it not been for his actions that caused him the deductions. No conspiracy. Khan won the fight, but lost on the scorecards.

*Khan is like Paq-light!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Communicationwillfreeus

Questions still have to be answered..who was the mystery man? why was he allowed to interfere with the judges and the score cards when it is stated in the rules no one should interact with a judge.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Communicationwillfreeus

Questions still have to be answered..who was the mystery man? why was he allowed to interfere with the judges and the score cards when it is stated in the rules no one should interact with a judge.

I truly believe that Khan does not know or recognize "everyone" at these events and I really do not see an overturn. They can answer questions all day but it will not change the decision. I would not have been terribly surprised if they would have turned down Hopkins' appeal. Disappointed but not surprised. It is hard to get an overturn. I am curious to see how this turns out for Paq-light.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Could be.. Imagine if it was someone related to Peterson or his own team in some way though, now that would be a very, very interesting outcome.

Either way I do hope we see a re-match here, and I especially hope Khan gets his belts back in the near future too, personally I don't think for a second he deserved to lose them.

EDIT: Oh, and guess what else guys.. above I just mentioned how interesting it would be if this man was related to Peterson in some way, well I just stumbled across this article: "Mystery Man" Celebrated With Peterson

This could be very interesting..

Oh, and if anyone wants to get a good look at this guy, here's a screenshot from the video in this post:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/dr4f06f443.jpg[/atsimg]

Khan is a better boxer and will win the rematch handsdown, possibly by KO

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

YEAH I made it over to the real post ha ha , like you say , it looks suspect , smells fishy BUT I will reserve judgment until this dude in the hat has been checked out. Amir needs more fights in my opinion , he is not top 3 stuff at this time, he will be in time, but he has the right trainer , and being in the States is the place to be regarding training.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-1-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Coming up @bbc5live @ 1615 interview with British Boxing Board of Control Gen Sec Robert Smith on Amir Khan/Lamont Peterson scorecard case www.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join