It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name your fears / phobias

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Since this old thread is unlikely to make a comeback and thousands of new members have joined since its creation, I decided just to make a new thread of people's fears and phobias. I have a long list and if it were ever made known to a psychiatrist it is likely they would prescribe dozens of drugs to me (which I fear). Nevertheless, I thought ATS would not be too judgmental of my problems seeing as how most of us here have some problem.

I have a fear of...

Spiders
Snakes
Heights (only man - made structures)
Drowning
People who look like a stereotypical criminal
Losing self - control
Exposure of any part of my body covered at least by Summer wear (shorts, t-shirt)
Being around attractive women with a person I know around (even if the woman is on TV)
Seeing a naked person on TV/movie with parents around
Being in close proximity to others (movie theaters, small restaurants, etc...)
Being around any form of intimacy
Being around small children (probably under 6 or so)
Elevators
Using restrooms where people can hear you (or 'sense' you)
Communicating with strangers (although I am getting better)
Going out in my yard with neighbors around (I usually go out after sunset)
Even the thought of close intimacy with another person
Other people hearing the music I listen to
Drooling with others around (I sometimes forget to swallow my saliva frequently)
Sleeping when someone can see me
Suffocating
Talking too fast when nervous
Being around people who are intoxicated
Ever having to sing or act in public
Needles
Any time I get sick I become a hypochondriac
Broken bones
Injury to the eye(s)
Wild dogs (I love domesticated dogs though)
Being responsible for another person's important possession(s)
Thunderstorms
Tornadoes
Downtown in large cities
Bridges
Hurricanes
Wildfires
Homelessness
The dark
Prescriptions pills that may alter my personality (even for the 'better')

Well, I am sure there are some that have slipped my mind. Yes I am an absolute train wreck.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
scared of....

1. media
2. government
3. the spider that is in the corner of my room

not scared of....

1. dying
2. fighting for a better world for the next generation
3. terrorists

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
scared of....

Unclear dark water, Scotohydrophobia
I do not like the thought of not being able to see whats under me or around me in dark water.

Fear of flying, Pteromerhanophobia
fear of crashing which most likely result in death.
a fear of closed in spaces (claustrophobia), such as that of an aircraft cabin
a fear of heights (acrophobia)
a feeling of not being in control
fear of vomiting, motion sickness can make the person vomit, thus making flying hard.
fear of having panic attacks in certain places, where escape would be difficult and/or embarrassing(agoraphobia)
fear of hijacking or terrorism
fear of turbulence
fear of flying over water or night flying
the result of hormone release during pregnancy and the result of difficulty with the regulation of emotion when not in control due to developmental issues

edit on 6-1-2012 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
OMG - Get some help dude! lol

Seriously, with help you could quash most of those fears.

I personally have a fear of being trapped, and slowly burning to death.. OUCH!

Edit: Yes with regards to flying, I don't fancy plummeting to my imminent death in a plane travelling at 600 mph either! Couldn't think of anything more terrifying than that decent

edit on 6-1-2012 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
About 9 pages of phobias here if you are curious. Some really unique ones as well

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
fear of family members dying

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
im afraid of the the person behind first post

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Spiders and roaches
Anything that is creepy crawly like that. I love snakes and reptiles though. I guess it's just all those LEGS!!! *getting shivers and goodebumps just thinking about it**
edit on 1/6/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
More a phobia than fear

Cockroach and plane ( not related... )

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
phobia

being out foxed by another cyber guru across the world drinking tea and playing wow

not afraid of

current cyber security

edit: I am afraid of my neighbors cat as all it does is simply sit outside and continuously looks at me...btw, i have already posted this in another thread, but i am sure that the cat is planning something..simply waiting for the opportunity for me to do something. I simply cant put my finger on it.
edit on 6-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i like being scared, the adrenaline rush is amazing. i often walk down dark alleys by myself at night and i love scary movies....
infact, i can only think of one thing that really scares me stupid and thats drowning. even seeing someone on tv that trapped under water gets me short of breath, no idea why tho

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wouldn't say I was scared of spiders as such.... I just don't want them anywhere near me lol
Saying that though, being locked in a room with said room filling slowly with spiders would probably do it for me.

Blood and gore horror films DONT scare me but films like The Entity terrify me.

People with dogs heads, not sure what to call it lol, but I find it terrifying on a primal level.

One of my biggest fears I will have trouble describing, it's the fear of stange distorted screaming faces... yeah, I know
I scare myself sometimes hehe

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It is probably important to note that most of the fears I listed are not crippling fears, just things I get anxious or nervous over. I would avoid all of them if possible but I can deal with them on a daily basis without some panic attack or anything. This should have been added to the OP because people will think I am completely bonkers but most of those are just general, not overwhelming, fears.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think a lot of your fears are justified, even the ones I don't share. And many of them would make me uncomfortable rather than afraid.

My two real phobias are:

Water - I've never been able to learn to swim. I just sink. I'm not buoyant and no-one will persuade me that I am.

Heights - like you, man-made structures. I'm quite happy up a mountain. But standing on a chair or a table has me in bits.

What else?

I got over my fear of spiders / insects mostly because when I lived alone there was no-one to put them outside for me. I'm really good at catching small creatures now and I'm careful not to hurt them when I scoop them up. The key is to learn to love them and care about their well-being. After all, they're very small and you have the power of life or death over them.

Little kids under 6? I'm ok with little kids under about 2. After that they're big enough to know that I'm weird but not big enough to be polite and hide the fact that they've noticed

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
When I took Freudian Psychology AS Level, my teacher told me, that according to Freudian belief, a fear of spiders is symbolic of a fear of the mature male genetalia. The suppostion of this being based on the seeming similarity in appearance of the human male scrotum and the abdomen of a spider. If you look at some of the more fleshy spider you may see where they are coming from...but either way...spiders are scary because they drop in on us unexpectedly and lurk in the most unexpected of places...end of story...the reasons we use to excuse our startled shreiks however, are the stuff of legend...

...Freud had a very dirty mind...

...as do I...but I don't make excuse for myself...
...takes one to know one

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Well uncomfortable is probably a better description of many things I listed. If only I had thought of that word earlier. Also you are probably right, children under 3 or 4 make me uncomfortable for some reason. Perhaps it is because I really just do not know what to do or say around them because they just look at you and do weird stuff.

edit on 1/6/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
On the plus side, we all seem to instantly become black belt kung fu when we walk face 1st into a spiders web!!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

If someone shows me a spider I can, cool, calm and collected pick it up and remove it to a safe place. However, if one, or if I should imagine, one touch me unexpectedly, I will shreik like a little girl

edit on 6-1-2012 by Omphale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
children under 3 or 4 make me uncomfortable for some reason. Perhaps it is because I really just do not know what to do or say around them because they just look at you and do weird stuff.

I'm an animal lover and have no trouble stroking them or rubbing their tummies.

I'm terrified that one day I'll stroke someone's kid or tickle their ears
(or worse....) slinks away

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm not afraid of many things...not even snakes or critters. I'm cautious of them, but not afraid.

I am mostly afraid of murderers, and the prospect of a home invasion type situation.

But I am afraid of heights. As long as I'm enclosed, I'm okay, such as airplanes are fine. Ferriswheels, however, are NOT fine. I love the mountains, but don't go near cliffs. I don't even like seeing ferriswheels on tv. My heart starts racing. With me it is a "true phobia".

Oh, I also fear public speaking. I hate it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join