It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Chimera' monkeys created in lab by combining several embryos into one

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

The world's first monkeys to be created from the embryos of several individuals have been born at a US research centre.

Scientists at the Oregon National Primate Research Centre produced the animals, known as chimeras, by sticking together between three and six rhesus monkey embryos in the early stages of their development.

The chimeras have tissues and organs made up of cells that come from each of the contributing embryos. The mixtures of cells carried up to six distinct genomes

This is pretty interesting. Scientists are saying that this can now open up new possiblilities in this field:

"The cells never fuse, but they stay together and work together to form tissues and organs," said Shoukhrat Mitalipov, who led the research. "The possibilities for science are enormous."

What is ATS's opinion of this? In my opinion, i think it is cool in the fact that scientists have opened up new possibilities with this breakthrough.
www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 6-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Dear daaskapital,

It is called playing God and it is wrong. In England around (admitted to) 150 human stem cells were combined with animal stem cells to see what would happen. Gene splicing of animals is unnatural and will only be used for evil while promoted as helping those with diseases. Consider the scientist who made the bird flu combine with the swine flu and become capable of killing 50% of the world, how is this a good thing? What was it Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park, "Life will find a way". We should be careful about what we create, or better yet, not play God. Peace.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It seems to me that years ago they first floated the idea of going directly to Humans and the public shot that down with artillery pieces. So....We're going to be treated to it being done to every other life form in existence, one by one....until they return to the Human question and, by then, a public so accustomed to Gods in white coats that it won't even be a serious issue to argue...or so they hope. I believe that is what we're seeing, and where it leads.

As another here said. It's wrong on more than one level and it's obscene. Belief in God isn't necessary because Nature is real enough and right outside the window there. Nature isn't to be toyed with, in my view, and has an odd way of finding ways to show displeasure. Usually exceptionally violent ways that kill people and break things. Perhaps they could stop playing God and go back to something more benign..like developing new nuclear weapons or something. You know, something really trivial by comparison.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Dear Aquestion

I understand, and generally, i am on the fence about this. I agree that playing Godis wron, and that thing in the UK was utterly dusgusting, they shouldn't be doing this, however on the other hand, i can see why they are doing this, it can potentially open up previously unknown information. But i lean more towards it being bad.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Dear Aquestion

I understand, and generally, i am on the fence about this. I agree that playing Godis wron, and that thing in the UK was utterly dusgusting, they shouldn't be doing this, however on the other hand, i can see why they are doing this, it can potentially open up previously unknown information. But i lean more towards it being bad.

Dear daaskapital,

In law they call it the slippery slope, the problem is finding the end point where we can stop it. What if they found a way through gene splicing or gene therapy, that they could give you happiness and you would live for a thousand years, would that be a good thing? I detest shortcuts because there is no wisdom obtained and we should seek wisdom rather than happiness, wisdom leads to improvement and sometimes happiness leads to regression and laziness. Peace.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
rise of the planet of the apes.

scientists need to be careful what they mess with.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Wonderful news.

Unnatural? Playing God?
Sounds similar to statements like "If people were meant to fly, they'd be born with wings."

Using chemotherapy to fight cancer is unnatural too.

Setting a broken bone so that it heals correctly could also be considered unnatural because if god wanted that bone broken, it should stay broken right?

What about using antibiotics to stave off infections?

Preservatives in food are also unnatural. Hell, COOKING food is unnatural. How many other animals cook their food? If god wanted us to eat cooked food, hamburgers would already be walking around ready made.

Playing God? Unnatural? The entirety of the human race as an animal species is unnatural in comparison to other animals.

We innovate. We explore. We experiment. We try to improve upon ourselves, and conquer those things that eat away at us like aging, disease, genetic mutations, and everything else waving the flag of mortality in our faces. It's what makes us human.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
People are so afraid of science it's kinda sad.

If you don't believe in God, than there is nothing sacred about life and it's all just matter to be manipulated as we, the able, see fit.

If you believe in God, than this is just living out the ordination to fill the earth and subdue it.

"playing god" can be taken to extremes that make it seem foolish. Is it "playing god" to turn on a light bulb?
"How dare you make light at night!!! god intended it to be dark at night, and light to come from the moon and stars. Stop playing god by making another light source!"

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED
rise of the planet of the apes.

scientists need to be careful what they mess with.

Or....Splice. A movie whereby a multitude of animal cells are fused with human embryos.

Genetic engineers Clive Nicoli and Elsa Kast hope to achieve fame by successfully splicing together the DNA of different animals to create new hybrid animals for medical use.

m.imdb.com...

edit on 6-1-2012 by lBLaCkOuTl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Wonderful news.

Unnatural? Playing God?
Sounds similar to statements like "If people were meant to fly, they'd be born with wings."

Setting a broken bone so that it heals correctly could also be considered unnatural because if god wanted that bone broken, it should stay broken right?

Preservatives in food are also unnatural. Hell, COOKING food is unnatural. How many other animals cook their food? If god wanted us to eat cooked food, hamburgers would already be walking around ready made.

Playing God? Unnatural? The entirety of the human race as an animal species is unnatural in comparison to other animals.

We innovate. We explore. We experiment. We try to improve upon ourselves, and conquer those things that eat away at us like aging, disease, genetic mutations, and everything else waving the flag of mortality in our faces. It's what makes us human.

Planes crash
chemotherapy can kill
bones naturally mend
many bugs are resistant to antibiotics
animals scavange areas destroyed by fire and eat the cooked animals remaining.

what makes us human is being human,?
what makes monsters? humans with no morality

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Originally posted by nineix

Wonderful news.

Unnatural? Playing God?

Planes crash
chemotherapy can kill
bones naturally mend
many bugs are resistant to antibiotics
animals scavange areas destroyed by fire and eat the cooked animals remaining.

what makes us human is being human,?
what makes monsters? humans with no morality

i think the point of the post was we do things that are unatural, you just pointed out dangers with the things listed, however if you needed chemo you would probably get it, you are likley to go on a plane, bones naturally mend however the are sitting when the process is occuring very rarley would that be perfectly stright on there own...

the poster could have just as well used Cars clothes and computers as an example, submarines, boats, sattelites and space ships,

or even curing smallpox with cow pox thats unatural for you to be near unless you own cows, or genetically engineering vacines from active disease to allow anitbodies to be able to build up a resistance to there genetic pattern, have you ever stopped and though about how unnatural mass produced bread is?? i mean we use yeast a living organism and essentially destroy it to have some tastey carbohydrate goodness...

see i like to science moving forward, yes there is opertunity for both mistake and abuse of this, but surley you can see there are also chances for benefits...

what do the other posters suggest... we scrap science... no more learning or experiments for us?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Pretty much anything can be used for monstrous purposes.
A bathtub can be used to bathe, or, to torture people, or drown them in privacy behind closed doors.
Household cleaners, gasoline, insecticides, and dozens of other items individually, or in combination laying around any average house can and have been used for all sorts of evil intent.

Just because all sorts of imagined nightmare scenarios get luddites and chicken littles to clucking and running around, doesn't mean those nightmare scenarios are going to happen.

The intent for projects like these isn't for ill.

I've got rat poison in my garage and attic. I, or anyone else that has rat poison could use it for lots more than poisoning rats, but, last I checked, there's not a mass wave of people running around using rat poison for any other purpose than its intent.

Sure, I get it. There ARE people that will use those household cleaners, rat poison or any other thing they can get their paws on toward nefarious ends.

Am I for banning household cleaners, rat poison, or anything else even slightly dangerous? No.
Lots of dangerous things can also be used for good.

Just because scientific pursuits may have risks and potential for ill doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored for the better.

edit on 6-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'm all for the advancement of science and I believe we SHOULD be pushing the boundaries of what we deem acceptable in order to get knowledge that would otherwise been off limits. However, I do believe there are limits on the boundaries we should push. Making the 'Chimera' monkeys is one of those limits we shouldn't cross. Nature shouldn't be tampered with unless it means finding cures.

But that's just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I was just giving poor examples, I thought that was the game

I also like science moving foreward, but unfortunately I believe our scientists are playing like a 5 year old with a loaded shotgun, nothing wrong with a shotgun and nothing wrong with a 5 year old, but do you really need to put the 2 together?

Our science is a wonderful thing, but slow and steady is much better that fast and furious.

we really need both science and ethics working together and neither being exclusive and compramise on the tough choices.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Does anyone get scared because organs are transplanted from one organism to another?

Fundamentally this is no different, except that the organs/issues are transplanted at a very early stage.

However, I am not really sure, if they are trying this to test specific hypotheses or doing it purely out of curiosity. Also wonder if they have tested it with species less close to humans, like rats, before taking it up with monkeys.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Oh.. come on.
What century is this? People like you undoubtedly said the same thing about the microscope when the first viewed cells.

"It is only meant to be seen by thine GOD'S EYES! Destroy the blasphemer!"

So when someone performs a transplant or sets a bone and manipulates the action of those cells is that the same thing or are these cells more important than those cells?
edit on 6-1-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This was posted yestarday...

abovetopsecret.com

join