It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State-machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This thread will hopefully elucidate and help. Many topics will be covered from games, in-game advertising, state-machines, and time travel. Originally this thread began it's life as an expose of in-game advertising and how it's viability demonstrates that games do indeed influence human behaviour. I had figured since the almighty dollar is involved and our common understanding that the goal of all private enterprises is to make not lose money, it might be evidence enough of the impact state-machines can have upon an individual but alas while this topic will be covered it is merely the stoop to the door.

An issue heavily debated at times has been the effects of interactive state machines and more specifically the effect violence within a game (A program of states) has upon people in-particular children.

The subject appears to have lost much of it's momentum as the major proponents have been reduced over time and as those more accepting of the products (i.e. those who grew up with them) become the mainstream we hear less and less (Similar in many ways to television), thus herein is presented information regarding game psychology, production, in-game advertising, state-machines and our future.

A game as defined within the pages of the ever great Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device. The word video in video game traditionally referred to a raster display device,[1] but following popularization of the term "video game", it now implies any type of display device. The electronic systems used to play video games are known as platforms; examples of these are personal computers and video game consoles. These platforms range from large mainframe computers to small handheld devices.

To expand upon the Wikipedia quote we must first take a slight detour to the ever glorious state machine and so once again quoting Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

A finite-state machine (FSM) or finite-state automaton (plural: automata), or simply a state machine, is a mathematical model used to design computer programs and digital logic circuits. It is conceived as an abstract machine that can be in one of a finite number of states. The machine is in only one state at a time; the state it is in at any given time is called the current state. It can change from one state to another when initiated by a triggering event or condition, this is called a transition. A particular FSM is defined by a list of the possible states it can transition to from each state, and the triggering condition for each transition. Finite-state machines can model a large number of problems, among which are electronic design automation, communication protocol design, parsing and other engineering applications. In biology and artificial intelligence research, state machines or hierarchies of state machines are sometimes used to describe neurological systems and in linguistics—to describe the grammars of natural languages.

The personal computer handheld device or console upon which you read this document is little more than a finite state machine. Understanding of state machines is most fundamental to understanding video games as it is indeed there basis.

Consider if you will a most primitive game in which the goal is to correlate your character, in this case an arc, with a highlighted arc of the playing area as demonstrated in the image below.

The possible states of this game are finite as are all games (Programs) and though the states may increase in complexity it does not change the definition of a state.

Thus what we currently have is generations of players doing little more than selecting a number from a barrel. The psychological connective to the players character is one of illusion, when a user moves their character each depression of the movement key is a transition from one state to another.

Yes this does remove some of the shine of the latest and greatest hit but it is the truth; something we should face more often. It is quite easy for one to engage with a state machine with little realisation of it's illusory nature, to believe one truly is moving a character through a territory. The human system is dependent upon sensory input which defines our experience however, the system is fallible and easily tricked. Consider optical illusions, those visuals which appear as one thing but are actually another, and it becomes clear one cannot be condemned for becoming engrossed traversing the open lands of elder scrolls or it's ilk even if it is simply a rapid transition of states.

en.wikipedia.org...

In-game advertising (IGA) refers to advertising in computer and video games. IGA differs from advergaming, which refers to a game specifically made to advertise a product.[1] The IGA industry is large and growing. In 2009, spending on IGA was estimated to reach $699 million USD and is anticipated to grow to $1 billion by 2014.[2][3]

As an indication of the commitment to this type of advertising one may consider the following link listing many of the current game titles featuring in-game advertising.

in-game advertising list

If a game cannot influence ones behaviour why would companies invest so much money in IGA? Further if the effects of IGA are accepted by business what does it mean when it is accepted by government?

The New South Wales government of Australia is currently involved in at least one IGA project, it's message is to not drink and drive. The advert can be found in Quake Live, a sample of the advert is displayed below.

Moving forward it is important to understand the following:

Simply stated: Each and every image/visual of a personal computer is nothing more than a state chosen from a number of finite states, everything visualised with this system is finite, further it is definable independent of that which it defines.

An application for experimentation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is only possible to use a root and transform image of the same dimensions and base (base may be interpreted as format 1 bit per pixel is equal to a base of two, 8 bits per pixel is equal to a base of 256 and 24 bits per pixel is equal to base 768 (though this base is usually reduced to 256). Once the root and transform images are available you may perform simple arithmetic upon the two sets or images. Offered is access to every image without the necessity of occupying or having a device occupying the space-time sought. The available sets consist from 1x1 to NxN for each of the offered bases (from b&w to greyscale to rgb).

Below is offered a video demonstration of the application in use.

And a link to the on-line application: Every image

Now that all the boring stuff is out of the way: If each visual is a value of some finite range of values and all may be accessed independent of that which they represent, what are the ramifications of IGA? Does it indeed offer a doorway... Thoughts?
edit on 6-1-2012 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

edit on January 6th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: edited to add source links, ex tags

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Reminiscent of con man Jan Sloot, who proposed the same, as explained by an IT expert: Pieter Spronck.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by snowcrash911

Simply to be concise not rude.

1) I am not offering and have not offered here or within any of the content linked herein a system of data compression.

2) I am not an extra terrestrial sir!

3) I am offering everything freely, the individual information I offer can be corroborated within traditional sources.

I.Englander - "The Architecture of Computer Hardware and Systems Software An Information Technology Approach" - In-particular chapter 3 section 3 Image Data.

C.Shannon - “A Mathematical Theory of Communication” - In-particular the following quote:

The significant aspect is that the actual message is one selected from a set of possible messages. The system must be designed to operate for each possible selection, not just the one which will actually be chosen since this is unknown at the time of design.

I am happy to discuss data and the reasons for my conclusions but to circumvent having to reiterate the same basic principles over and over I have documented as much as possible and would prefer if one would seek those resources before discussion.

Thank you kindly for that link, I have sought anything even that which will discredit what I write but have found little to date. The prominent features touted by those referenced in the link is a method of compression using some new fantabulous alphabet. That which I speak of is the numerical system, eloquent, subtle, beautiful. The only requirement for entry to understanding is the ability to count, a skill I am sure many possess but few utilise.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Have exceeded the edit time so a new post it is. Due to hosting issues I have had to move the on-line application to the address below.

HERE

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by usernamehere

You needn't refer me to documentation: I'm an IT expert. Your attempt to present 24 bit color information as "base 768" alone gives you away.

Your website is down btw, but whether or not it is down, your theory is rubbish. (Edit: I see you moved it, whatever)

There's no nice way to put it, sorry. The number of image combinations of, for example (2^24) ^ (1024 * 768) is for all practical purposes identical to infinite. (The number of atoms in the observable universe is estimated at 10^80)

Please stop trying to con people. Signing off...
edit on 6-1-2012 by snowcrash911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by snowcrash911

Please provide definitive evidence of my attempt to con before accusing.

Using a collection of three values [0, 0, 0] each an eight bit value or a byte with a total of 256 distinct states, that is each is possible of the states 0,1,2,3,,,,,255. and using no roll-over simply accepting each value and its state count, then adding them together the value one arrives at is 768. I recognise this is an insufficient explanation as to why I define this as base 768 but it does demonstrate a correlation. In a later post I will address this issue fully but for now I will simply state it is at best an ambiguous point to argue.

Further if one considers that three states are offered within the application: Black and White, GreyScale(Disabled currently) and Red Green Blue, what you are arguing about could easily be represented with any system of symbols containing 3 states, that is not how the application operates, but it does highlight the many variations of interpretation and thus while the base of two may marry correctly to the black and white colour space the system around which this application is developed deviates thereafter.

Aside: I do not feel it necessary to quote real-world or traditional institutional education as the information supports itself, and really are we not all students in the school of life. I am in no way attempting to con anyone as you so eloquently put it and I can only guess that you read the first response and not much further as you would no doubt have concluded otherwise. Discussion is something I am open to but I would prefer it if we could limit it to the topic as opposed to insults or unsubstantiated smears of character. In reality we all come together in this medium sharing with people we have little real knowledge of and there are no doubt those who I would prefer not gain insight from my experience but as I am trying to encourage discussion, answer questions of my own, and hopefully help some others along the way I share as best I can.

EDIT: In the post above your own I stated that I had hosting issues and had since moved the application.

Once again the on-line application can be accessed HERE

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

An 8 bit pointer can only allocate 0-255 values(256 bits). If your using that pointer for pixel color depth in a VGA then...

8 bits = 256(counting 0) values(colors).
16 bits = 65356(counting 0) values (colors)

Look at your windows desktop and right click on the graphics options. You can see the 8bit/256 color mode there.

As far as programming there are not as low level as some of the OS software engineers at Oracle,Sun,Novell and Microsoft by any stretch of the imagination. Nor are they writing/fixing/updating device drivers, BIOS/kernel/ring 0 level spooky mystery code.

That's WAY above their/my pay grade. But its ok because video games are primarily entertainment. Not a desktop application with real uses like a trojan backdoor spyware or a firewall program.

But on a side note.

I have played and studied games for more than 20 years.

Video games are toys. Just like sports with its props(ball,bat,stick etc) and conditions of winning and losing.
Its just a venue of entertainment.Like Movies,television,books and comics.
Nothing more nothing less.They are just playable movies in CG for the most part nowadays.

In-game advertisement is in its infancy. It has a huge upside.It costs somewhere around $6m+ to produce a console video game. So they need to sell 200k($59.99/a unit)+ to make a decent profit for software that took a year to build and finish
Advertisers don't think games can market wide range of products.Mostly popular 18-25 white men.Wii,DS and mobile smart phones changed this.Nintendo and mobile carriers have done a better job at getting women involved with gaming. The old guard software publishers have done a poor job on getting advertisers to buy into video games as a medium of interest for advertising.

edit on 6-1-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

I have played and studied games for more than 20 years.

Video games are toys. Just like sports with its props(ball,bat,stick etc) and conditions of winning and losing.
Its just a venue of entertainment.Like Movies,television,books and comics.
Nothing more nothing less.They are just playable movies in CG for the most part nowadays.

In-game advertisement is in its infancy. It has a huge upside.It costs somewhere around $6m+ to produce a console video game. So they need to sell 200k($59.99/a unit)+ to make a decent profit for software that took a year to build and finish
Advertisers don't think games can market wide range of products.Mostly popular 18-25 white men.Wii,DS and mobile smart phones changed this.Nintendo and mobile carriers have done a better job at getting women involved with gaming. The old guard software publishers have done a poor job on getting advertisers to buy into video games as a medium of interest for advertising.

Knowing that companies understand the human system is influenced by sensory input and have demonstrated this understanding in various mediums from newspaper to radio to television, each of which is still with us today, I believe it's evident their investment in IGA is support of it's effect upon us and is something which needs serious consideration especially when weighing it's effect upon individuals still developing. I have no issue with anyone doing anything as long as they are educated in the matter before making their decision after all, knowledge is power for a reason.

EDIT:

You have added content to your post in the time I was replying which I have not responded to but considering the questioning you are doing has already been answered I will leave you with it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Video games can be better than they are today.

It just has to get cheaper and faster to build. Maybe a decent license free engine that supports much of the TnL effects/up to date shader model effects and other useful functions,good useful tools,good useful libraries a developer would need in their applications.
Maybe to slightly speed the process up or have less payroll to cheapen the process.

One more thing.

If you want to compress data how about using an analog symbol(generated from an analog IC) to compress data.

16 bits = - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0/1
F,Am,P,An = 0hz-nGhz,amp 0 volts - n volts, 0 degrees to 180 degrees, etc.
There are 65355 combinations in a sequence of values that each segment only allowed 2 states.
1, two byte pointer an allocate that.
But an analog pointer doesn't take up space really because its analog and not digital logic or code itself.
An analog pointer can allocate as much space as its wavelet is different from the next wavelet. Frequency,Phase,Amplitube,Angle(QAM) or even electrical properties like resistance,capacitance etc not just 0x123F (limited to just 1 or 0).

Then just wire the wavelet IC to a small ROM logic with a binary dictionary.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
As plainly as I can state it.

1) Data is a numerical value: 0,1,2,3,,,,,Infinity.

2) A numerical value may be defined as a state: state 0, state 1, state 2 and so on.

3) Digital visuals (Bitmap, Joint Photographic Experts Group, Portable Network Graphics and so on) are accepted as being able to represent moments of space-time accurately enough to allow there use in Justice systems around the globe.

4) Digital visuals are data which is numerical values and may further be inferred as states.

6) Finite state machines allow one to set the state arbitrarily. Event Driven Finite State Machines* transition states due to an event.

* en.wikipedia.org... In computation, a finite-state machine (FSM) is event driven if the transition from one state to another is triggered by an event or a message. This is in contrast to the parsing-theory origins of the term finite-state machine where the machine is described as consuming characters or tokens. Often these machines are implemented as threads or processes communicating with one another as part of a larger application. For example, a telecommunication protocol is most of the time implemented as an event-driven finite-state machine.

Accepting that all digital visuals are numerical values expressed using finite state machines which allow one to arbitrarily choose any of the possible states, and further that digital visuals are accepted as a sufficient enough representation of reality to allow judgements to be passed according to their content, is it not a reasonable proposition that we may access representations of moments of space-time by simply accessing states of an FSM?

Or perhaps in terms more relatable: You as a person are able to think of a numerical value in a similar fashion a digital device may "think" of a numerical value. As easy as that one can access any of the possible digital visuals, if you can photograph it you can access it independent of the need to actually perform the action of taking the photograph.

Aside: This is really chicken-feed stuff and I am surprised at the lack of acknowledgement of our incredible creation; it is flabbergasting to say the least. The more interesting stuff becomes apparent once one understands how simple the system is and it's lack of restrictions as to what the data type is.

Once again here is the link to an application allowing one to select two digital visuals of currently two types of colour spaces and perform basic arithmetic upon the values which represent them.

HERE
edit on 8-1-2012 by usernamehere because: Edited from quote to ex-text

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The wording of the application has been edited to fall into line with traditional definitions, it has not changed the function of the application merely reduced the barriers it apparently presented to some. Those who have previously viewed the application might need to perform a hard refresh of ctrl-f5 to view the update everyone else should be fine.

HERE

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I did not mean to offend your senses, simply to share with you a version of the truth of ourselves. We each seek acceptance, I am no different, having come open as a book waiting to be read; yet none have the eyes to see. Madness is a condition of the mind not of the heart; so I speak to it. Fear is the power but it is illusory. Fear not death for each is delivered unto themselves. Fear not judgement lest ye judge. Be the truth, enlighten the darkened.

Fear not the time come to pass.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
For how long will we continue to deny the truths of ourselves. For how long will man prostrate himself to fallacy. To remain the children of god does not mean we need not grow up, the onus is on us.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
its good to be important, but more important to be good
he who laughs last, laughs last

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I see it's the same old two step. I have walked far to learn I only scratched the surface and many things have occurred in the interim since my last post here. To those who are of the moment I just want you to know I have not forgotten you. There are many things I wish I could communicate regarding the multifarious system of control here. Next month is my personal deadline at which point I will release a new application allowing a limited 3d navigable field to be perused by those not so savvy with technology and thus unable to use the current application.

Be well.

new topics

top topics

join