It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we survive without the concept of time?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
We could, but TPTB couldn't.

Gotta know when to make that house payment to the bankster.
Gotta know when to pay those taxes to the IRS.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Thank you both, I will check out that information in a little while.

reply to post by chisisiCoptos

That is fascinating. I am sure at one point in my life I have had a similar nightmare.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Time is just thought about time? I'm sure it's not appropriate to define a term while simultaneously using that term in the definition so.....i guess if you believe now is all there is for you then that's all there is for you but so you know, squirrels store acorn's in trees for future moments in time therefor we humans aren't the only animals who deal with other nows than the now.

Also, certainly can't agree that All humans are troubled by time because of the perception it runs out. Belief in lack sounds entirely atheistic/humanistic while entire classes of peoples believe in eternal life or reincarnation which supersede belief in lack/nothingness.

It sounds like something deeper is going on here. You wouldn't happen to be projecting personal beliefs in nothingness onto a society that as a majority is contraposed to such a belief?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff

I didn't say 'time is time', i said 'time is a thought-about time'. Time is thought!! Thought is conceptual. Time is only a concept. Concepts only occur in humans.
Animals do what they do when they do it, they are present with what is present.
Humans 'think' the past exists and they 'think' the future exists but everything is done presently.
All concepts (including time) arise presently.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

objective existence matters as we see it is evil life bc exclusively from truth knowledge abuse

truth knowledge is about present truth freedom of all reality and truth concept superiority freedom which is by definition never real

present freedom is superior from present truth value
freedom concept is superior from freedom truth value

creations basically reverse those equations so existence could be totally objective space to use constant for absolute use

then present freedom is denied existing replaced by positive will that nature condition, as if ur move or a thing move is to get smthg and not bc it is free, so the sense of life is all fake, everything and everyone seem to be freely happy only in eating or spending positive abstractions

but also freedom concept is denied being an absolute superior right, replaced by power will that god condition, as if u necessarily mean to end living by forcing others to ur will realisations, that is how even in scripture with that lovely loving humanity jesus, his principal end was pointed being a chair by him

so time that we experience in witnessing is out of nature positive life in god powers will conditionning it for

what is positive is by definition not truly present, it is a matter subjective perspective, never objective

what is powerful is by definition not truly free, it is a subject one stand above matters, never subjective

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You still can't use the term "time" in the definition of Time but i see what you're attempting. (a=b, b=c, so a=c)Time = Thought, Thought = Concept, therefore Time = Concept but I'm not sure all those terms (as broad and general as written here) are completely synonymous or sufficiently definitive of one another.

Too, concepts, time, and thought do not only occur in humans. Ask any comparative psychologist.

And while all things are accomplished in the now, not all things are accomplished for the now so "thinking" the past and future exist while acting only in the now doesn't mean that the past didn't happen and that the future won't come.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

I'd really like to understand and reply to what you're saying but between sentence structure, grammar tense, punctuation, and verbiage, I can't decipher anything intelligible. I'm not trying to be mean, I just can't understand what you're saying.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

you are mayb not trying any but who cares what u mean, it is not about u mister nor me, if u cant see objective means in my post then u never mean objective existence

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Isn't time just a measurement?

If you had no need for that particular measurement - - - why would you need time?

Need usually comes first.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

they need time to profit at the maximum from being out of truth

since i was a child i hate that any ask me the time, i know why now, i hate the reason of time as if it was possible to be outside all or as if it is existing or living

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sekos
get rid of the light and time doesn't exist adios.

Are you trying to tell us that if I go into a photo darkroom time will stop? Time is space that is in the state of absolute kinetics. Space is time that is absolute static (but without time, it exists only for an infinitesimal duration, as a string of instances, we call "the present")

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Time is thought. Time is imagined. I create the illusion of time by saying 'tomorrow', tomorrow does not exist and never will.
A concept is an abstraction, an idea, a fabrication and only humans can make 'things' up, i don't see how a comparative pshycologist would believe different. Animals only see and hear what is present, they do not name and label and build imaginary 'things', if they did they would be as confused as humans.
Concepts are no more than 'things' formed in the mind, a thought, a notion.
If humans could forget concepts they would see only the truth.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It seems to me that time is necessary for causality and free will. Maybe the future is already written like fate so "past", "present", and "future" are just relative to a bookmark in the story of our fate?
edit on 12-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
That is an interesting question. I never thought about but the concept of time itself is pretty important to our modern age.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Animals other than humans are certainly not as intellectual as we but they have their own ways. Maybe they don't argue about Time and God and Life and such but that doesn't mean they don't exhibit intelligence and considerate or empathetic thought. Perhaps you should take a class and ask a comparative psychologist for yourself, I did.

Nevertheless, this thread isn't about comparative psychology so back to the topic. To a certain degree, I agree that concepts are no more than 'things' formed in the mind, a thought, a notion. I also think we can live and exist without the concept of time, although everything would be happening at once if that were the case and who wants that? kidding
but seriously, if humans could forget concepts we, by your own definition, would be thoughtless and how can the thoughtless ever discern truth?

edit on 13-1-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: typo

edit on 13-1-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

by realizing its most objective constant positive existence

u with all cant b but one constant present existence reality fact

but keeping realizing urself object reality to that end which dont need thoughts just stable perspective of what is infront of u and stable state of urself being positive present

the concept of truth in all minds is evil deformation, truth cant b a reason, truth is first and last only the constant element, wether smallest as it could be or objective or constant still stand or constant moving sense, where the element is the same one is the truth concept
that element is superiority,
like the smallest isolated point it can is surely superior
any object perspective is always superior to the perceiver otherwise it cant see it, u would see only what u want as long as u dont realize objective superior reality existence
stillness constancy is only what can stand alone freely not related to anything else so superior
constant moving sense is to reality with others superiorities so the drive to stay superior outside

truth is absolute superiority that any being free superior alone fact

conscious is the proof that truth became absolute object freedom
so conscious is an absolute free true existence

so conscious logically should b independant fully logically as normal way of constant existence justification

independant constant is exclusively through being positive self source

positive sense source is through exclusively objective superior realization, objective is all in absolute terms including oneself object freedom reality or fact, which is the only way that allow self to stay constant free as present alone, which reveal the truth of superiority being principally for positive present constancy as being its way

why conscious dont act being true from perceiving objective truth? bc truth is object principally so conscious are true if they dont move but when they have to or want to move they cant b true unless they have to conceive constantly what true they are
truth do not move while truth is absolute freedom object so conscious is less then truth from what truth is object absolute perfection equation but also conscious move is more then truth freedom which is impossible, since conscious can move

that is why the end of existence is to separate truth from freedom, truth as object absolute reality and freedom as individual conscious existence rights

objective existence is truth reality, there is only truth
freedom existence is truth end value, what is not is truth result as freedom value

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Thoughts, concepts are language based and are abstrations of the truth. The truth is here already but we try and name it and by naming, we as humans, fragment, compare and conflict. It is only ever a language barrier or a border around countries that make for conflict.
The truth can not be told in words. Words divide.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

on the contrary if smthg could b said in words it is the truth, that is how with so little vocabulary i can point absolute as objective facts

u r of truth misconceptions use when u deny words exclusive sense being of truth, words are nothing objectively but bc truth is any then words are sensible only bc of truth

the only issue in all minds is the lack of absolute value sense, what is relative is by definition inherently never true, what is never true is free will when what is free is truth value out of positive constant end

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

u r proving the confusion u make between freedom and truth willingly, so the use of wrong misconceptions

what cant ever b said is freedom so individual reality, self realization out of objective one

but what is true is what is absolutely object constant, which mean all objective realities including oneself and this cant be perceived but through complex absolute abstractions in mind that words are of and objectively existing as possible sensible sentences only bc of their nature being true, u cant make a sentence unless u r a free still fact meaning absolute abstraction as one fact

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Humans name and label 'things'. Only humans live in a world of 'things'. 'Things' are made out of 'thinking'. 'Thinking' is 'thinging'. Concepts are made of thinking, language.
The 'real' (the truth) is here and now but the human mind can not see here and now. The human mind splits here and now into then and when, past and future because it can do nothing with here and now. The human mind is a doer, it has to do. But it does not have to do really because everything is already done.
Words make belief. Belief is not truth.
Truth is wordless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join