It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How SOPA (as written) might kill ATS and free speech online (UPDATED)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

Sigh. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to see someone who has been here for three months to come in like they know everything? Wait! It's beyond annoying.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This is just another nail in the coffin, as so well pointed out by so many. It's just amazing to see people make up excuses for everything evil does in plain sight. They rationalize anything BUT...

the government is out to get you, and they are just the puppets, and you are doomed, and we are getting ready to do you real good.

That's the part they miss then these kinds of things get passed.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Like any good parent.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

No human or group on this earth, especially something as corrupt as the government is my parent...nor will they be.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

That has to be one of the most ignorant post I have read on ATS in quite awhile...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well, I wrote a nice piece to my Con -- gressman. If everyone can do that it will help numbers alot. It is realy all about the numbers,,,,,, so the more complaints the better chance there is of killing the bill.

Salute

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by angeldoll

Why engage in the ad hominem? Why not explain to me how my post is wrong or what you disagree with? Look for a U2U...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

You think you could please stick to the subject matter, rather than resort to the ad hominem? Maybe...If you have a disagreement, you could point out how or where my post is ignorant...That sounds simple enough, right?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
In relation to the thread title can i say just a couple of things here?

First and foremost i think ATS members should knuckle down, and help each other by changing focus. At the moment i see threads continuously derailed and ruined.
It seems for instance if i was to post a thread stating that life on mars is real, water, oxygen, life exists then my thread would be bombarded with posts trying to prove me wrong. Now why? Why not try to prove me right. Many threads on here are trashed and derailed.

I am asking as member that ATS members help each other by proving that we are right, if we can prove we are right then so be it, that topic will be conclusively proven to be wrong.

If you dont believe in God, ET's, weather manipulation and other conspiracies or possibilities then why bother with ATS or even posting a reply.

Think of it this way, tomorrow ATS may not be here, make the most of it.
Help each other prove or determine truth instead of insulting or derailing. Leave no stone un-turned, if you cant prove that theres some weight in what the OP states then its clear.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Fair enough.......... This is what I found objectionable:

I got news for you....turn off ALL your advertising on the site....DEMONSTRATE through your ACTIONS that you could give TWO SHAKES about the legitimacy of site ownership and reaping of benefits through work and intellectual property...

The Ownership's actions prove everyday how much they care about ATS. Have you not been here over the years to see the hard work and struggles they've made? The constant polling of membership to see what pleases or displeases them? The daily trial and error of what works and what doesn't?

Do you have any idea how many times plagiarism has been addressed on this website by the SO and the Moderators?

As far as the ADVERTISING goes, are you really that naive? Do you think grown men with families to support can sit here all day for your pleasure by running this site and not make a dollar? Grow up.

Oh, as far as your U2U (And why do you use the term U2U? How do you know about that? LOL. Shouldn't you use PM? ha.)

Anyway, as far as your "reporting" my post, you go right ahead. I think I can take the hit. Won't be the first time. I'm "snippy" afterall. Self-admitted.

You have a nice day, okay? And enjoy what SO and Springer have given you.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The bottom line Skeptic Overlord:

You have tools in place on your own site...BEHAVES much like a government entity that you are NOW complaining about...

I tried to send a U2U to a member concerning their post...FAILED!!! Received a message stating the U2U process was temporarily blocked...ONLY THING MISSING was YOUR SEAL!!!

"Meet the new boss...same as the old boss..." - Pete Townshend

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yeah...I do think all the site owners should make a buck...I got no problem with it...I believe SOPA would protect the ownership of the site...

And I have yet to see a legitimate argument stating otherwise...

So...NEXT!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This is terrible. But i have some questions. If passed, will this only effect citizens of the US? And is there anything that someone like i can do because i dont live in the US, other than raise awareness?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Consequently, do you think grown men with other sorts of intellectual property should sit back helplessly while that intellectual property is PIRATED via the Internet?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

SOPA as it stands now, is un-constitutional and a violation of the first amendmant. The act as it's worded right now is too easily abused to be used for other reasons than stopping piracy.

Is that enough for you?
edit on 8-1-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Lee78

Some things cannot be proven right, and every idea must stand on its own merit...A person may have the greatest thing since sliced bread, staring them dead in the eye, FACE TO FACE, and they would still deny its existence...Look at the SOPA...A law designed to protect individual ownership and piracy of site material, and the site owner here wants to shoot it down...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

Actually, NO...it is NOT ENOUGH for me...that is, your word...you will need to break it down for me piece by piece...I am not going to just sit here and take your word for it, that SOPA is anti-First Amendment...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yeah...PEOPLE make posts WITHOUT giving credit...

Your solution??? Block legislation that PROTECTS the work of people, namely their INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY...

Just because it might shut down your site....

Hey, I got news for you....turn off ALL your advertising on the site....DEMONSTRATE through your ACTIONS that you could give TWO SHAKES about the legitimacy of site ownership and reaping of benefits through work and intellectual property...

I doubt I will see this happening anytime soon...

This is one of the most incoherent and nonsensical posts I have seen in a long while...that is outside the ufo&alien forumn where incoherent denials frequent more often then the f-word used by the mob.

Just in case you were not kiding us and need an explanation you should understand anti-piracy laws exist in america and just about every nation on this planet. The solution is not more laws, more paperwork, more aggrivation, more loopholes........to the contrary amend prior laws and enforce them.

9-11 has been a disaster to america, not just in the death toll, but also to the pursuit of tyranny!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Yep...I agree...so how does SOPA relate to 9/11 again? Break that down for me please...

Basically, the thing I gather in regard to opposition to SOPA is this...Skeptic is opposed because he is worried the UNPAID moderators cannot keep up with RESPONSIBLE SITE MANAGEMENT and prevent copy written material from being posted here without permission...Well, that is a COST OF DOING BUSINESS...and if you are going to reap profits from other peoples' work, then do the job RIGHT!!!

Others are opposed because they want their "BINKIES!" (i.e., Stolen music and other pirated materials).

What did I miss?
edit on 1/8/2012 by jeichelberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

...I believe SOPA would protect the ownership of the site...

I'm honestly trying to understand your perspective here. Please explain your thoughts on why you believe government control of what we can and cannot communicate is a good thing, and how it would act to protect the ownership of ATS.

I know you have a reason. I would like to understand what it is. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg

Consequently, do you think grown men with other sorts of intellectual property should sit back helplessly while that intellectual property is PIRATED via the Internet?

Let's be fair. Government and corporations hijacks everyone's property at will. You don't complain about that? Or what?

How many bailouts are you prepared to finance to save big sharks too big to fall?

Copyright is just an excuse for government to prevent internet organizing resistance to much bigger issues. Entertainment industry couldn't earn more than it does now even if this measure passes. This is not about that!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join