It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China cuts two-thirds of popular television shows

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Since when TV is free in the west?

TV is run by a few companies, doing mindless shows to distract the masses.

What China is actually doing is cutting some of these shows and showing news instead. Forcing 2 hours of news everyday. It's not like they are cancelling shows they don't agree with... which they already do anyway... and what we actually do in the west.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Everything on TruTV. And MTV... Man remember MTV ten years ago? so much better...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I agree with China,
They are "vulgar" and "low taste" broadcasting.

they should do this over here.
and maybe we would get beter TV.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I don't see how this is censorship. Entertainment is a service. It's a privilege, not a right. No one has the right to the services of others. Why is entertainment the only service/product that should be free from regulations? People talk about having their rights violated because of a lack of availability to view a daily dose of vulgarity, gratuitous sex, or graphic violence put out by others. Are you kidding me?

ETA: While anyone can turn the channel or keep the TV off, it doesn't mean they are free from the affects of such mindless dribble. We have to deal with this cultural decline everyday. If the airwaves are ever cleaned up, the people who seem to need the "obscenity" for whatever reason can simply implement it into their daily lives themselves. I'd say the people who value decency have a lot more to lose by having filthy 'entertainment' as the norm than the people who get off on obscenity having to tolerate "decent" entertainment.
edit on 1/7/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

Regulating entertainment is just that. It's not 'controlling what you and I watch', which sounds downright silly. No one is blindfolding you or telling you where to direct your eyes.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

In a cult, the group leader decides how he wants his followers to think. Then, he brainwashes his followers to think the way he does. One of the key ways to do this is to keep other cultures from infiltrating the cult and cause people to leave. This is done by control of the media, and by isolating contact with the outside world. This is done because other, more free cultures, will often have more to offer and be appealing to those who are trapped in the cult. This is why China does what it does - it knows this very well.

To suggest that the West follow suit is to suggest that the West should also artificially control its culture, something that is directly opposed to free will and allowing people to be free to do as they wish and grow and learn morals from experience and intelligent data instead of a closed-minded doctrine based on ignorance.

That would not be a good thing.

I admit that television around here isn't the best, but we have to remember that the Chinese motive is to isolate its culture from others in order to have more control over its citizens. The motive is not to have clean TV to watch, unless clean TV is considered state-sponsored, political censorship included.

Basically, state censorship of television probably won't end up doing what you hope it will.
edit on 7-1-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I don't see how this is censorship. Entertainment is a service. It's a privilege, not a right. No one has the right to the services of others. Why is entertainment the only service/product that should be free from regulations? People talk about having their rights violated because of a lack of availability to view a daily dose of vulgarity, gratuitous sex, or graphic violence put out by others. Are you kidding me?
reply to post by Charmed707

Wowzers. so tv is a service. A bakery is a service to, are you saying we shouldn´t have the right to buy whatever bread we like either?

TV is a form of expression, and everyone has the right to exprerss themselves, and everybody has the right to watch whatever form of expression, they like, it`s not a privilige, it´s a human right.

It´s not about a lack of availability to watch vulgarity, it´s about governements deciding what its people get to watch, it´s tyranny, no matter the lack of quality of the censored material.

As long as the material is legal, by law, there should be no way for a government to interfere with public programming.

Maybe if people raised their children right they wouldn´t grow up thinking that tv is the norm.

And I don´t know if you realise it but the reality is that violence, vulgarity and sex actually exist in human lives....well in some human lives at least.

You sir, are a tyrant, just stick to the channels you like, and let others stick to the channels they like, no need for forcing your will onto others, just because you don´t like what they are watching.

ETA: While anyone can turn the channel or keep the TV off, it doesn't mean they are free from the affects of such mindless dribble. We have to deal with this cultural decline everyday. If the airwaves are ever cleaned up, the people who seem to need the "obscenity" for whatever reason can simply implement it into their daily lives themselves. I'd say the people who value decency have a lot more to lose by having filthy 'entertainment' as the norm than the people who get off on obscenity having to tolerate "decent" entertainment.

Is TV the cause of cultural decline, or is current tv programming merely adapting to, and showing the result of said decline.

If you think that tv programming is the single and direct cause of this decline you are delusional.

edit on 7-1-2012 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

reg·u·late (rgy-lt)
tr.v. reg·u·lat·ed, reg·u·lat·ing, reg·u·lates
1. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.

Regulating entertainment is just that. It's not 'controlling what you and I watch', which sounds downright silly. No one is blindfolding you or telling you where to direct your eyes.

Delusional indeed. They are telling you where to direct your eyes, because they are removing places you can direct your eyes at, effectively forcing you to watch what they want you to watch.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
I agree with China,
They are "vulgar" and "low taste" broadcasting.

they should do this over here.
and maybe we would get beter TV.

It's no wonder your mood is so bad. Who gets to decided what is vulgar and low taste? One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I understand we have to draw lines but the lines they are drawing are not ethical in nature. Is this so hard to understand for the posters in this thread. I hate crap TV so it is fine if they outlaw it.

Think about how the world would be if I outlawed everything I hate. Basketball would be a thing of the past so would everything the color blue.

Is this such a hard concept to understand? It is no wonder freedom around the world is taking a hit. People are so arrogant and weak they would take away another mans treasure just because it is not there cup of tea.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainInstaban

Wowzers. so tv is a service. A bakery is a service to, are you saying we shouldn´t have the right to buy whatever bread we like either?

Bakeries may be shut down and no longer available to people if they violate health regulations. Services must abide by certain regulations.

TV is a form of expression, and everyone has the right to exprerss themselves

People actually don't have the right to express themselves however they wish in public.

It´s not about a lack of availability to watch vulgarity, it´s about governements deciding what its people get to watch

People don't have a right to entertainment. It's a privilege.

Maybe if people raised their children right they wouldn´t grow up thinking that tv is the norm.

Sadly, the idiocy on television is rampant in reality and is becoming the norm more and more. I'm tired of TV dictating reality for people...that includes idiotic adults. Parents are expected to be responsible for their children's perception of the media, which they should be, but the people who actually put out the trash are not expected to be responsible for their own material and behavior in the public eye. They should be expected to act like responsible adults as well instead of getting a free pass just because they're celebrities.

the reality is that violence, vulgarity and sex actually exist in human lives....well in some human lives at least.

Just because something merely exists doesn't mean it should be glorified nor does it mean it's appropriate any time and any place. Since when has TV served to mirror reality anyway?

You sir, are a tyrant, just stick to the channels you like, and let others stick to the channels they like, no need for forcing your will onto others, just because you don´t like what they are watching.

I'm a ma'am and not a tyrant. Your attitude towards your "right" to entertainment only reflects your sense of entitlement. Regulating entertainment is not forcing anyone else's will on you personally. That's just nonsense. You may indulge in any vulgar speech and whatnot in your own personal life with no one stopping you. People that don't even watch TV are STILL subjected to the idiocy of our cultural decline every single day....and they didn't ask for it. You might as well say atheists are forcing their will onto you by not having public prayer in schools. Your argument is just silly.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainInstaban

Is TV the cause of cultural decline, or is current tv programming merely adapting to, and showing the result of said decline.

I think mass media has played a huge role in the decline and it's naive to underestimate the power of the media.

If you think that tv programming is the single and direct cause of this decline you are delusional.

I never implied that it was.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

You say TV is idiotic and then post replies like this.
I love irony.

I will make it real easy to understand you have the right to do and say whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on another person right to do the same.

You can not take away something that you are born with.
edit on 7-1-2012 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

This is the type of immature response one would give if they've got nothing of substance to counter-argue with.

I will make it real easy to understand you have the right to do and say whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on another person right to do the same.

No. You don't. Try going on public transportation and shouting about immgirants....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

....or shouting obscenities in certain public parks:

When in public, there are restrictions to your freedom of expression.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707

This is the type of immature response one would give if they've got nothing of substance to counter-argue with.

No. You don't. Try going on public transportation and shouting about immgirants....

....or shouting obscenities in certain public parks:

When in public, there are restrictions to your freedom of expression.

I guess it is to hard to understand.

Would I be infringing on the persons rights if I was screaming obscenities in public. YES

Just like screaming fire try again.

You have the right to do and say whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on another persons right to do the same.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Would I be infringing on the persons rights if I was screaming obscenities in public. YES

Really? How so? TV is a public service, by the way.

No, it's not at all like screaming fire, as doing so can cause mass panic and unrest.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Why does this surprise anyone? China is a communist country and has been for many years. They arent the West and theyve always had censorship. Always. I wouldnt suspect them to allow even what they have allowed in recent years.

Too many ATS'ers dont realize its not us...and they have always been restricted, constricted, conflicted and programmed as robots. So why the surprise?

We wonder why things are the way thye are in all these different countries. Because thats the way it is over there. They are not US. Dont try to make them so. It wont happen anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707

Really? How so? TV is a public service, by the way.

No, it's not at all like screaming fire, as doing so can cause mass panic and unrest.

You will hard pressed to find something that does not fit in to that simple statement it would do you well to really think about what it means.

You have the right to do and say whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on another persons right to do the same.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Bakeries may be shut down and no longer available to people if they violate health regulations. Services must abide by certain regulations.

That´s when they violate laws. These tv shows didn´t violate laws.

It would be the same if the government removed all the sweet and fat food from the bakery, because it is not deemed healthy.

People actually don't have the right to express themselves however they wish in public.

TV is generally watched in the privacy of your home. With freedom of expression I mean the right to have your own ideas, views, music, poetry, tv etc.

Besides, swear words are bleeped out right?

People don't have a right to entertainment. It's a privilege.

It´s not about entertainment misses Tyrantia, Is freedom of choice not a human right? Freedom to choose who or what to watch and listen to?

Sadly, the idiocy on television is rampant in reality and is becoming the norm more and more. I'm tired of TV dictating reality for people...that includes idiotic adults. Parents are expected to be responsible for their children's perception of the media, which they should be, but the people who actually put out the trash are not expected to be responsible for their own material and behavior in the public eye. They should be expected to act like responsible adults as well instead of getting a free pass just because they're celebrities.

It´s your responsibility. It´s a big bad world out there. Don´t let your young kids watch Jersey Shore.

Just because something merely exists doesn't mean it should be glorified nor does it mean it's appropriate any time and any place. Since when has TV served to mirror reality anyway?

It is what it is, noone is forcing you to watch it, so noone should be forcing others not to watch it.

Your attitude towards your "right" to entertainment only reflects your sense of entitlement. Regulating entertainment is not forcing anyone else's will on you personally.

Delusion....it is by definition.

People that don't even watch TV are STILL subjected to the idiocy of our cultural decline every single day....and they didn't ask for it. You might as well say atheists are forcing their will onto you by not having public prayer in schools. Your argument is just silly.

That is if you believe that TV is responsible for cultural decline, wich is BS. You really think if every low quality show was scrapped, society would change for the better. What about all real problems that cause decline?

And I thought there was a seperation of state and religion by law. Forcing kids not to pray in school is following the law. Your argument is silly.

I think mass media has played a huge role in the decline and it's naive to underestimate the power of the media.

I´m not denying the power of the media. But I think people were partying like crazy in Jersey and across America, way before Jersey Shore was aired.

The show just shows the reality out there. I´m not saying it´s normal, but it is what it is. The same goes for other show.

never implied that it was.

I thought you did, here

ETA: While anyone can turn the channel or keep the TV off, it doesn't mean they are free from the affects of such mindless dribble. We have to deal with this cultural decline everyday.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Swearing in public doesn't infringe on anyone else's right to do and say what they wish.

Regulating television content only regulates expression at a certain time and place, which is already done in the majority of public venues.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Here in Australia, I remember the days when 4-6:30pm was family television shows on all channels (cartoons documentaries ect.) But in the early 2000's the transition made its way over to things like a gay guy renovating his house in his underwear (can't remember the name of it) violence, non stop news fear mongering, product advertising for pointless items...and things to that degree.

At that point I give up watching TV all together. And now when I see people staring entranced at the glowing screen at some talent show...It really makes me glad I did.

China...you have taken a major cultural step forward for your people, they will one day thank you.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

TV is not a public service. Most TVs are private. Private service to private (cable paying) customers.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Yes, stupid laws exist.

You have the right to do and say whatever you want as long as it does not objectively damage another (third, unconsenting) person.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join