It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zecharia Sitchin vs Erich Von Daniken

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I had a similar thought.

The op said "i was looking around the internet". Hey op, why don't you try reading first? Then come back and waste others time and bandwidth. "Deny Ignorance"? Not so much huh? Well if you can't then I guess you might as well practice it.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Von Daniken wrote "Chariots of the Gods" in 1968, beating Sitchin's "The 12th Planet" (published in 1976) by 8 years. But both cribbed ideas from Carl Sagan who wrote back in 1966 about the possibility of ET visiting earth in it's ancient past - as a mere mental exercise, as Sagan later wrote he did not support such a theory and dissed all the "Ancient Astronaut" writers. There's another writer named Robert or Roger Temple that also wrote about Dogons and ETs etc. in the mid 70's.

The whole 70's ET craze seemed to have it's basis in a series of magazine articles from the 50's. A while back someone had wrote a post that exposed several mid-50's magazine articles that claimed ancient ET contact, using sites like Nazca and Sumerian art motifs as part of it's background. Those magazines probably had as much influence on Von Daniken and Sithin et. al. as anything else. Hopefully someone can recall what those magazines/articles were?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm telling you, this stuff will blow your mind, and it sets it all straight:

"... a large planet stood above the North Pole for a very long time."

That is what all the mythology throughout the world uniformly states -- mythology from every nation, region, tribe, and period, in thousands of languages, in hundreds of forms, from every continent -- they all resound, "a large planet stood above the North Pole for a very long time." Every country, that is, except those more than 10 degrees below the equator.

The mythology of regions as far removed as Siberia, North Africa, and Guatemala all agree. If the mythology is true (and what other conclusion could be drawn), then the fact that a large planet stood at the northern horizon is true. How this could be, is a matter which this text will attemp to address.

I will suggest that this planet was Saturn. From other sources we can estimate that the planet Saturn moved on a wildly elliptical path around the Sun in the remote past, entering the Solar System at very long intervals. Some time in the last 6 to 3 million years, perhaps after passing close to Jupiter, Saturn was placed in a much closer orbit around the Sun, very near Earth. From about 9000 BC, Saturn captured and held the Earth in a sub-polar position until 3100 BC, when Earth broke away.

"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -- Jonathan Swift

This is, however, exactly what I will attempt to do with this text: I will try to tell the actual history of the world and humanity -- in the face of knee-jerk reactions and spitting noises by those who know better. This is not my story, but the efforts of a great many other people, and based on evidence in plain view.

My starting point is the postulate that myths throughout the world should be taken at face value. For the recurring worldwide mythology this is almost completely obvious. No other form of meaning can be assigned. An attempt to apply local cultural conditions and limited attitudes to mythology, meets with failure because of a lack of appreciation of the enormous extent of mythology throughout the world, and the constant refrain of identical themes by peoples who have remained completely foreign to each other -- who have never had cultural contact. Any theory of mythology based on limited and local aspects will fail to translate to the hundreds of additional instances across the world.

This holds also for notions of ritual, of model behaviour, of allegories of nature, of personifications of the weather, and any other metaphorical meanings. All these myopic attemps fail utterly in the face of the wide diversity of meaning among languages and grammars, and not least also in the enormous cultural differences between peoples. All explanations of the origins of myths are doomed to failure when based on a limited scope.

This leaves only the historiocity of mythology. It has an evidential character which is absolute. If myth tells us that that a large planet stood above the northern horizon, then we are stuck with this as fact. It cannot be negated or waived aside. It only remains to investigate how this could have been so.

Of course it is not always as astoundingly clear as in this instance. Frequently we are met with wording which is no longer understood, and frequently it will be easier for us to elicit metaphor from our culture and our language in an attempt to explain the inexplicable. This is probably the most frequently made mistake in investigating mythology. Mythology represents a history stretching into the depths of time. On the other hand, the accepted mainstream history is a 2000-year record of denial and eradication, created for the sake of the comfort of your soul and your psyche.

If the pretensions of conventional wisdom suit you, you should stop reading here, for this particular story will get progressively stranger. Be comforted, though, that it will not be about crashing meteors, undetected planets, or visits by aliens.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

lol

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Sitchin implied in his books that he was employed by the British Museum in the translation of Sumerian clay tablets. His ignorance of actual academic work regarding Sumerian culture times and technology would tend to argue against this.

Most of what he ascribes to the Sumerians was actually Babylonian and 500 to 2000 years later than the high point of Sumerian culture.

He then builds on these misunderstandings and makes statements not supported by either cultures myths and legends.

Many people have made statements about Sumerian culture and technology on this site and others, but a little digging and non-acceptance of these unfounded statements will prove fruitful and show that people make these statements mainly because they think no-one can refute them.

There are some excellent on-line language, culture and history sites that can guide you here.

If you have trouble discerning the quiet truth from amongst the shouts of the throng of liars, then consider only sites associated with Universities, Libraries or Encyclopedias as the most reliable.

Youtube is not a reliable source for this.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

At the time, researchers could contact that museum and request a facsimile of Tablet *such-and-such to be sent to them. When finished working on that you requested the next one you were interested in.

So, perhaps if one said they helped translate or worked on such tablets at/from or for the museum, they would not be lying or implying they were employed by that museum.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Sagan later wrote he did not support such a theory and dissed all the "Ancient Astronaut" writers.

Yeah - but Sagan has also said his personal beliefs and science "belief" is not necessarily the same.

As a scientist - - his personal belief is not relevant.

In so many words or less.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin

At the time, researchers could contact that museum and request a facsimile of Tablet *such-and-such to be sent to them. When finished working on that you requested the next one you were interested in.

So, perhaps if one said they helped translate or worked on such tablets at/from or for the museum, they would not be lying or implying they were employed by that museum.

Why bother defending him (or his reputation) at all?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by Tayesin

Why bother defending him (or his reputation) at all?

Is that what you think I am doing?

Instead I was simply pointing out a mistake in your personal opinion, which was put across here as Fact to convince people of the "Accepted" scientific viewpoint.

The man is dead and can longer defend himself against the agenda in play here. To continue that agenda is the some of poorest of poor form I have seen from the Elitists.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Being Eric's Nephew, I can tell you he Is not crazy and most certainly Is not In It for money, he lives In a cabin deep In the mountains of Switzerland.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
regarding the possibility of a more advanced civilization waaay back. The ancient alien theories are not much more than syfy plausibility with no real world evidence.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Hi I thought this link might help, read through it a couple of weeks ago, allot of reference to Sitchen.
The book also has theories that are quite relevant with the 2012 Doomsday theory as well as the origin of the world we live in, check it out( I Bought the book by Alan Alford, slightly differs from the Online version though) Still great.!Gods Of The New Millenium

top topics

<< 1   >>

join