It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who made the money off those stock options on the airlines used in the 911 attacks?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Fifteen billion dollars were made off the stock options, thats a lot of money but yet we have not heard one word about an official investigation into this, why? Someone knew but did not tell. Somene did nothing other than make money off of the tragedy that took so many lives but yet our government has done nothing to find out who these people are, that's 15 billion dollars had to be paid to someone in some monetary form, wheres the billions? Who got the billions of blood money? Did Bin Laden's companies take these options out? Did he profit from this? Who was it that made all this money? Whether you believe the official explanation or not, the question that arises from who placed these stock options and profited from them begs to be answered and it is one that we should be able to find an answer to? At least our government should look for an answer so why have heard nothing?

www.heartbone.com...

A transparent and thorough investigation of suspicious trades before Sept. 11 could expose the masterminds behind the attacks by revealing who knew and profited from advance knowledge--if only the government wanted to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE TO AMERICAN FREE PRESS
By Christopher Bollyn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manipulators with inside information made huge profits on sophisticated trades as the stocks of the airline and insurance companies plummeted in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 disaster. The inside information was so precise that experts have concluded that it could have only come from those who masterminded the terror attacks.
This money trail is the closest investigators have come to "a smoking gun" and could lead directly to those who planned the attacks. But with the notable exception of Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D.-Ga.), Congress has yet to demand a thorough and open investigation.

In the days following the terror attacks, suspicious and unusual stock trading activity indicated that people used inside information to make huge profits. The money made from the trades done with apparent inside information has been estimated at up to $15 billion worldwide.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by goose]

(Edited by Byrd -- please don't post the whole article; only a few paragraphs and a link.)

[edit on 12-9-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Who made the money off those stock options on the airlines used in the 911 attacks?

probably Israelis or government officials

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I asked that my self,
Who Put the Put Options on American and United Airlines before 911

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it was the US government IMHO

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This has been debunked a number of times by reputable people. If you'll do a search on ATS, you'll find those links.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Anytime anything of this magnitude happens their are many warning signs, but just because people don't act on the warnings doesn't make it a conspiracy.

No doubt there's many who knew of the possibility and had seen or heard information, thus they took steps just in case it came true. If you had information you would make sure you were not in a position where you could die or lose part of your net worth. Yeah, if you had a relative that worked in the tower you might even try to convince him not to go to work that day just in case. You may not even know what's going on directly you just heard a rumor that something is rumored to happen and so & so is selling his stock ect. So, there's this wave coming your way, you may not even know the origin of the wave, but you decide to ride with it. Very simple not a conspiracy.

Bottom line in you could never prove those who made money knew anything directly about deaths of thousands of people, though there very well may be some who did know, nobody's gonna talk now that's for sure.

Rambling on here. (off topic)

You know one thing I hate about many people in the US is this idea that somehow it's your duty to tell everyone everything you know especially if something is happening that is considered a criminal act in the eyes of the law. Fact is most crimes are known by many who aren't involved with that crime, but you never hear from then because either they don't agree that it should be a crime, they have a close connection or relationship with the persons involved in the crime, they could be badly effected in some way as a result of reporting that crime (lose their job, lose stock value, lose their husband, lose their life etc.), along with many other reasons. The fact is we all look the other way sometimes - even law enforcement. The only difference are the levels & subjects we're willing to look away from.

On another level we all have information from time to time that give us hints of things to come around us at smaller levels usually. For example when you driving down the freeway going over the speed limit & you notice a car coming up on you fast with wide headlights. A couple minutes later you see his lights flashing signaling you to pull over - you know the end result. Had you slowed down when you first noticed him coming up on you he couldn't have paced you & you wouldn't have got pulled over & ticketed. Thus guys that drive over the speed limit & pay attention to all the information available to them probably get less tickets then the guys who drive the same, but pay less attention. It's called being smart & looking out for ones arse - it doesn't mean you have some special secret weapon over law enforcement. Of course some guys do it the easy way a drive the speed limit.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by outsider]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Goose, if you know that stock manipulators made fifteen billion dollars from selling short, you know it because of some sort of records, right?

I mean, you're not saying it because someone said something about somebody making a bundle, because that would just be baseless gossip.

So since you know that there are records out there, then undoubtdly the records show just who it was that actually made those trades, right?

Well?

Who are those people? No point in guessing. If you know that money was made, you know who made it, right?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Goose, if you know that stock manipulators made fifteen billion dollars from selling short, you know it because of some sort of records, right?

I mean, you're not saying it because someone said something about somebody making a bundle, because that would just be baseless gossip.

So since you know that there are records out there, then undoubtdly the records show just who it was that actually made those trades, right?

Well?

Who are those people? No point in guessing. If you know that money was made, you know who made it, right?

One would think so but apparently they are not advertising they made so much money off of this and our government has not investigated and as far as I can tell has no intention of doing any ifurther nvestigation into the events of 9/11/01. Here is the full article from above link, tell me after reading the article what you think? should there be any further investigation?

[cut-and-paste of someone else's material has been removed]
Please post snippet and reference links

[edit on 14-9-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Actually this is true
www.snopes.com...

However the investigatin will tke quite some time for a nmber of reasons, not the least of wjhich is proving that each indvual trade was done on the basis of prior knowledge, and tracking down who in fact made these trades.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Further documentation

from www.9-11commission.gov...
The SEC

The terrorist's lucky streak began the week before September 11th with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or SEC. The SEC, in concert with the United States intelligence agencies, has sophisticated software programs that are used in "real-time" to watch both domestic and overseas markets to seek out trends that may indicate a present or future crime. In the week prior to September 11th both the SEC and U.S. intelligence agencies ignored one major stock market indicator, one that could have yielded valuable information with regard to the September 11th attacks.

On the Chicago Board Options Exchange during the week before September 11th, put options were purchased on American and United Airlines, the two airlines involved in the attacks. The investors who placed these orders were gambling that in the short term the stock prices of both Airlines would plummet. Never before on the Chicago Exchange were such large amounts of United and American Airlines options traded. These investors netted a profit of at least $5 million after the September 11th attacks.

Interestingly, the names of the investors remain undisclosed and the $5 million remains unclaimed in the Chicago Exchange account.

Why these aberrant trades were not discovered prior to 9/11? Who were the individuals who placed these trades? Have they been investigated? Who was responsible for monitoring these activities? Have those individuals been held responsible for their inaction?

also see
newsmine.org...
www.suntimes.com...

[edit on 14-9-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You want to know who made all the money off 9-11?

All the people with the conspiracy videos and conspiracy books they sell on their conspiracy websites. That is who made money off 9-11. Why don't you look into THAT conspiracy theory.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
1) Billions were made in profits, in highly-irregular volume-trading in puts (bets that a company will flop) purchased one day before 9/11.

2) There has been prosecution...

3) There has been no investigation...

4) Therefore:

===============================================
They who benefit from those profits, also control the investigation.
===============================================

Kind regards
--libertad

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No billions were not made 5 million was, there is a big difference between billions and millions

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
You want to know who made all the money off 9-11?

All the people with the conspiracy videos and conspiracy books they sell on their conspiracy websites. That is who made money off 9-11. Why don't you look into THAT conspiracy theory.

Are you saying that if someone sells the information gathered at great cost and detective work, they should not be allowed to sell it? Is it wrong to make money from informing people? If you truely think this....I suppose you don't watch the news....?

Maybe you never looked at these "conspiracy theories"? Good thing our courtrooms does not apply your logic. I can just imagine a judge dismissing evidence before even having looked at it, with the following reasoning: it's a conspiracy theory

This label has been the liberator of thought disorder, the salvation from frightening evidence of corrupt government. As soon as those who put the quest for comfort above the quest for truth, hear the word "conspiracy" they are so relieved. It's a globally accepted excuse for not listening any further...

"Most people will dismiss a theory, simply because of the tone in which it was said"
-- nietzsche

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cade

Are you saying that if someone sells the information gathered at great cost and detective work, they should not be allowed to sell it? Is it wrong to make money from informing people? If you truely think this....I suppose you don't watch the news....?

Maybe you never looked at these "conspiracy theories"? Good thing our courtrooms does not apply your logic. I can just imagine a judge dismissing evidence before even having looked at it, with the following reasoning: it's a conspiracy theory

Here is how much I've never looked at these conspiracy theories. Now, please, do me a favour and go read ALL of it, including the highly informative links, all the video, all the photographs, the evidence, the facts, the eyewitness testimony... and then please do comment on it!

Did American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Regardless of the valdity f any other conspiracy theroies this one is true. It is a matter of record that the put/call rato in United Airlnes and American Airlines was unuasually high n the week leading up to 9/11. The matter s currently being investigated by the CBOE.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I realise that, and I also recall all the reports that millions of dollars in assets had been seized within hours and days of the events on 911. I recall all the news stories and the links to various terrorist organizations who not only perpetrated the attacks against the US, but also PROFITED from it through the slective purchases of stocks they knew would be affected by that day.

Am I the only one around here who uses Google and other search engines?

Terror Made Fortune for Bin Laden , NYTimes - AFTER THE ATTACKS: MARKET PLACE; An Inquiry On Stock Gains Yields Little, Egyptians Knew of Planned 9-11 Attacks Last August, Says Banker , Terroist assests seized so far (Sept 11, 2002) 161 countries froze terrorists' assets immediately after 911.

I'm sure there's much more to be found, I came up with these in 2 minutes of searching and reading (quickly) the resulting linked information.

Here's more:
  • Investors seem to be lying low
  • Terrorism's long, tangled money trail

But there sure are a lot of independant, non-mainstream news, non AP news, non UP news, non Reuters, etc websites out there who say there is a conspiracy. I guess I really don't have an educated opinion on this.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by CatHerder]

• posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:28 AM
    link   

Originally posted by CatHerder

Originally posted by Cade

Here is how much I've never looked at these conspiracy theories. Now, please, do me a favour and go read ALL of it, including the highly informative links, all the video, all the photographs, the evidence, the facts, the eyewitness testimony... and then please do comment on it!

Did American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:11 AM
    link   
    found this on sec.gov
    www.sec.gov...

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:16 AM
    link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
    found this on sec.gov
    www.sec.gov...

Good find!

On Sept. 12, 2001, the Securities and Exchange Commission began an investigation to determine whether there was evidence that anyone who had advance knowledge of the terrorist attacks on September 11 sought to profit from that knowledge by trading in United States securities markets. In the course of that review, we did not develop any evidence suggesting that anyone who had advance knowledge of the September 11 attacks traded on the basis of that information.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:19 AM
    link   
    I e-mailed the CBOE and this was the response I got

Attached please find articles of interest related to option trading prior to 9/11.

FBI Concludes No Terrorist Insider Trading Occurred in U.S.
    2003-09-18 11:56 (New York)

FBI Concludes No Terrorist Insider Trading Occurred in U.S.

Sept. 18 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. criminal investigators have
    concluded that there was no insider trading in U.S. securities
    markets by people with advance knowledge of the Sept. 11
    terrorist attacks of 2001, an FBI spokesman said.
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation found that a pre-attack
    surge of trading in options that bet on a drop in the stock of
    AMR Corp., which owns American Airlines, and UAL Corp., which
    owns United Airlines, was not linked to terrorists, FBI spokesman
    Paul Bresson said in an e-mail to Bloomberg News.
    The two airlines owned the jets that terrorists commandeered
    and then crashed into the World Trade Center in New York and the
    Pentagon outside Washington. The FBI investigated possible
    insider trading on airline and insurance securities in a search
    for accomplices who might have tried to profit from the attacks.
    ``The vast majority of trading was conducted by investment
    hedge funds implementing bearish investment strategies or hedging
    a line position of common stock,'' the e-mail said. ``No criminal
    violation or intelligence linking the matter to terrorist
    activity was identified.''
    Bresson didn't identify the hedge funds or any insurance
    company. Bresson's e-mail came in response to a Bloomberg inquiry
    about the status of the investigation.

Numerous Interviews

``We conducted numerous interviews of witnesses and trading
    professionals,'' Bresson wrote. ``Documents including trading
    records and SEC data were also recovered and reviewed. These
    documents detail transactions occurring before and after the 9/11
    attack. The investigative efforts did not identify any
    involvement by terrorists in short selling or trading of put
    options,'' which let investors bet that a stock will decline.
    Bresson said the matter was also ``extensively reviewed'' by
    the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of New York
    and by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
    Lorie Van Auken, the widow of a Cantor Fitzgerald LP bond
    trader who died in the Sept. 11 attacks, said the FBI told her
    and other victims' relatives about the conclusion in July. The
    FBI declined to name the hedge funds when asked by the relatives,
    Van Auken said in an interview from her home in New Jersey.
    ``I have a problem with that answer,'' Van Auken said ``If
    there's nothing to hide, then why can't they tell us?''
    Options trading statistics examined by Bloomberg News in the
    weeks after Sept. 11, 2001, showed a surge of trading in the days
    before the attacks.

Options Trading

On Sept. 10, 2001, for example, 1,535 contracts changed
    hands on options that let investors profit if AMR stock fell
    below $30 per share before the following Oct. 20. That was almost
    five times the total number of those Oct. 20 put options that
    traded before Sept. 10, according to Bloomberg data.
    AMR closed at $29.70 the day before the terrorist attacks
    and fell as much as 47 percent to $15.90 when trading resumed on
    Sept. 17, 2001. UAL, which closed at $30.82 on Sept. 10, 2001,
    fell as much as 43 percent to $17.50 when U.S. equity markets
    reopened a week later.
    The FBI said in January 2002 that Spanish authorities had
    uncovered evidence pointing to possible terrorist trading and
    that the FBI was assisting with that investigation.
    Bresson's e-mail didn't answer a question about the status
    of the Spanish probe and officials at the Spanish Interior
    Ministry declined to comment.

--Judy Mathewson in Washington at (1) 202-624-1915 or
    [email protected] with reporting by Paul Tobin in Madrid.
    Editor: Parry

Story illustration: For more information on the surge in trading
    of bearish options before the attacks, see: ``CBOE, Philadelphia
    Probed Possible Terrorist Trades'' story of 9/24/01.

AMR US CN
    UALAQ US CN

NI US
    NI OPTIONS
    NI NYSE
    NI EXC
    NI GOV
    NI CBOE
    NI SCR
    NI AIR
    NI INS
    NI SCR
    NI SEC
    NI CRIME
    NI TERROR
    NI FBI
    NI DRV
    NI LAW

##
    -0- (BN ) Sep/18/2003 15:56 GMT

Report: Sept. 11 attacks, stock gains not linked
    High volume has other explanations

By Andrew Countryman
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published July 23, 2004

Despite concerns that arose after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, investigators said Thursday that they found no evidence that anyone profited from stock and options trading based on advance knowledge of the attacks.

Shortly after the attacks, reports emerged that in the days leading up to Sept. 11, some traders placed unusually large bets for stock prices to fall at several firms, particularly for the parent companies of United and American Airlines, whose planes were hijacked and used in the attacks.

That prompted speculation that some people who knew about the attacks also had sought to make a quick buck.

Before the attacks, volume in put options and short selling, which make money when a stock price falls, had spiked for United parent UAL Corp., American parent AMR Corp. and plane giant Boeing Co. Traders also reported heavier-than-usual volume in several hotel stocks, which were also vulnerable to a sharp drop-off in travel.

Stocks indeed sank when markets reopened after the attacks, with shares of UAL dropping 43 percent on the day trading resumed and AMR's shares falling 39 percent.

Tribune research had put the potential profits from the UAL options trading alone at more than $4 million.

But in its long-awaited report released Thursday, the bipartisan 9/11 commission said each trade had "an innocuous explanation."

The commission said an unidentified U.S. institutional investor "with no conceivable ties to Al Qaeda" bought 95 percent of UAL put options on Sept. 6, when volume soared, as part of a trading strategy that also saw it buy shares of AMR. The panel attributed a sharp climb in AMR put options volume on Sept. 10 to a recommendation in an options-trading newsletter.

The commission said investigators at the FBI, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other agencies "devoted enormous resources to investigating this issue," with the help of foreign governments.

The SEC said it examined more than 9.5 million transactions involving 103 companies in various industries, along with trading in several index products.

"We did not develop any evidence suggesting that anyone who had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11 attacks traded on the basis of that information," the SEC said in a statement.

Statement Concerning SEC Terrorist Attack Trading Investigation
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    2004-98
    Washington, D.C., July 22, 2004 - The National Commission On Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the 9-11 Commission) has submitted its final report, which includes its review and conclusions concerning whether any trading in the United States securities markets was based on advance knowledge of the September 11 attacks. The United States Securities and Exchange Commission cooperated fully with the 9-11 Commission and provided information based on the following actions.
    On Sept. 12, 2001, the Securities and Exchange Commission began an investigation to determine whether there was evidence that anyone who had advance knowledge of the terrorist attacks on September 11 sought to profit from that knowledge by trading in United States securities markets. In the course of that review, we did not develop any evidence suggesting that anyone who had advance knowledge of the September 11 attacks traded on the basis of that information. In the course of our investigation, we examined more than 9.5 million securities transactions that took place during the weeks preceding September 11. Along with the New York Stock Exchange, NASD, the American Stock Exchange, the Chicago Board Options Exchange, the Pacific Exchange, and the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, we reviewed trading in securities and derivative products of 103 companies in six industry groups with trading in seven markets. We also reviewed trading in 32 exchange traded funds and broad and narrow indices. In addition to working with the exchanges and NASD, we worked with criminal law enforcement authorities, including the Department of Justice and the FBI, as well as our regulatory counterparts in the U.S. and abroad. Finally, we sought and obtained information from the legal and compliance departments at securities firms and other financial institutions to determine whether any unusual trading activity had been observed by their staffs in the period prior to Sept. 11, 2001.
    www.sec.gov...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join