It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Threatened To Blacklist Spain For Not Implementing Site Blocking Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

US Threatened To Blacklist Spain For Not Implementing Site Blocking Law

torrentfreak.com...

In a leaked letter sent to Spain’s outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist . Inclusion would have left Spain open to a range of “retaliatory options” but already the US was working with the incoming government to reach its goals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/5/2012 by FSBlueApocalypse because: Link was broken

edit on 1/5/2012 by FSBlueApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
SOPA has already been discussed to death on various forums of this site, but now the US is actually pushing other countries into doing this makes me sick.

I'm not sure which part pisses me off more, the fact that these bills would essentially give bureaucrats the ability to censor the internet or that the entertainment industry is throwing millions of dollars behind it because the internet is putting an end to their outdated cartel.

torrentfreak.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/5/2012 by FSBlueApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Well, being on the U.S Trade blacklist is actually not that big of a deal anymore, the U.S does not export or manufacture barely any products anymore, and what there is can usually be gotten from somewhere else at a better price anyway, like from china.

Services on the other hand, have been their forte for awhile, but even that market is slipping, hence their economy going bust.

Just hope more countries understand this, and oppose the U.S, ignoring their trade bans in the future.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The very idea of being on the blacklist could be enough, How has it worked out for Cuba?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

Unfortunately the US Government is failing to recognize the fact that they had turned themselves into a status of non-importance. The only thing they have left is their war machine to throw at people and other countries. That too will soon disappear. They have lost all respect at home and in the world. Without respect. without money, without leadership the US has become nothing more than a rogue criminal state. the American people have failed to act about this situation instead have apparently decided to go down with this doomed Titanic. What will they do when other countries decide to blacklist and put sanctions on them. Especially when virtually nothing is being made here any more. This simply shows how arrogant and delusional they are.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I miss the days when it was none of any other country's godd*mn business what laws they implement and don't. I also wish that Spain had told the US G to go F themselves. But that's mere dreaming on my account. Still, threats like this, in my eyes are infringing on a country's sovereignty, and that's completely unacceptable. Somebody should be flogged for this.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is old news...i posted THIS THREAD 2 years ago..all this came out of wikileaks from the US embassy in madrid

new topics

top topics

join