It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS keep logs on who gives who star's?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Just being a bit paranoid I guess it would be a great way to make a profile about a person by looking at what people star and flag even if they don't post etc

and maybe all the stars would mean is who is generous and who is stingy of even that which is free.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

If I agree with someone I star them, If I make a thread and people post I star them too

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

For the purposes of ensuring one member can't give the same post multiple stars (or flags), we record the post ID and thread ID of those that you flag and star.

In other words, yes, the site does keep track of who left a star on what post.
But as long as it isn't made public and used for tracking purposes, as described, it's fair game.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I pretty much do the same as you...some i find of interest i also flag to easily find later when i have time to read entire thread....i did star your posts in todays thread abot the poor man with hiv because i agreed with you
please forgive any spelling mistakes. Stupid computer busted today, so typing from the nook...uuuggghhhh...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
ATS doesn't track stars but I think they may track people who automatically put an apostrophe in front of an "s".

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
ATS doesn't track stars but I think they may track people who automatically put an apostrophe in front of an "s".

Come on Phage...your above playing grammer police!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Police don't wink.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah I do that sorry I have dyslexia and it messes up my typing something rotten, Oh and they do track them just check overlords post.

Wow the famous Phage and Overlord in my thread shucks

Also John Lithgow in your avatar? what film is that image from?
edit on 5-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jerryznv

Police don't wink.

Ahhh...I see...humor at it's apex!

Well on topic...I don't think stars are counted here...unless you an astronomer...Phage...thats your department right?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
i think its common courtesy to flag and star a topic that you take the time to respond on, whether negative or positive, if it peaks your interest then give the OP the decency of a star and a flag.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
i think its common courtesy to flag and star a topic that you take the time to respond on, whether negative or positive, if it peaks your interest then give the OP the decency of a star and a flag.

I don't know if there is an Etiquette for that...but it sounds right.

There seems to be confusion between topics though...I see flags on some pretty lame threads...but freedom of speech allows us to star an flag whatever we want here!

edit on 5-1-2012 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd

I don't know if there is an ed equate for that...but it sounds right.

There seems to be confusion between topics though...I see flags on some pretty lame threads...but freedom of speech allows us to star an flag whatever we want here!

no doubt, i myself at least flag and star any topic that i take the time to post on, whether good or bad. The way I see it is that even if its utter rubbish the OP went out of their way to write their thoughts so at least flag and star it. As for individual comments, well anything that makes me smile gets a star asap

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
As a slightly off-topic point, since ATS DOES store everything, and doesn't delete, it is kinda sad that if you go to someone's (even your own) posts under profile, it only shows the last 800. Can't that be extended all the way back?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
No we don't keep track of who gives who stars, and no we don't delete threads or posts after a certain period of time.

I will play for a moment...I enjoy this stuff.

If you don't keep track from what you are saying, then how does the system know that you have already given a star to a post and doesn't allow you to give another one then?

That would mean, if they are not logged somehow and not tied to a specific user, then it would be impossible for for the system to know where you have starred and not starred.

I think the answer you are saying is, "we do not purposely track you by your stars."

However, let's stretch out a bit more from there. Is it possible in your system that it is coded that this information can be later retrieved in any way at all? If not, then please explain how the system already knows which posts you specifically starred and didn't star already at any point in time.

From the information you are providing, can you say that it is "impossible" for anyone to pull code and/or log files and go back through time and see what specific posts you have put stars on? I am not asking you "if" it is being done, I am asking directly, could it be done at all?

So maybe OP is not being clear enough with his question because he doesn't know how to ask the "right" questions yet. So I have done it for him

If you are giving a "round-a-bout" answer as not to purposely deceive, then I will ask the more specific questions instead so we are clear on how this works.

Thanks
edit on 6-1-2012 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awoken4Ever
Is it possible in your system that it is coded that this information can be later retrieved in any way at all?

As has been previously stated, stars are recorded in a manner that prevents the same member starring the same post more than once.

There is no code comparing stars other than for the check mentioned above. No need. No point.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x

For the purposes of ensuring one member can't give the same post multiple stars (or flags), we record the post ID and thread ID of those that you flag and star.

In other words, yes, the site does keep track of who left a star on what post.
But as long as it isn't made public and used for tracking purposes, as described, it's fair game.

Indeed , anything that resides within the net is fair game, that includes, data being stored, websites, web transaction. But i guess everyone already knows that since the concept of open source was all about fair game regardless of how the net was so well structured that it seemed normal but infact was anything but normal when talking about open source and fair game.

Sure endangered animals are protected within the african continent, but if you have the right amount resources then you can hunt and kill anything you choose. Similar to how things are conducted within the internet, regardless of how site owners and/or companies would lead you to believe.

now serving table 8 for 2

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions. Much appreciated

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I am real glad I found this thread, I was kinda concerned about starring and flagging etiquette. It's ok to run around starring and flagging whatever I like, even if I don't post. Still trying to learn my way around, but happoly skipping away knowing I can be as generous as I want

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
No we don't keep track of who gives who stars, and no we don't delete threads or posts after a certain period of time.

In fact, if you go to the recent posts page you'll see a drpopdown menu on the upper right next to the tabs that says "show ATS history". You can select month and year going back to 2003. That's an interesting exploratory exercise, I think.

I thought the "Watts" value was based on the stars the sight observed.

I may be incorrect but, if I was that would mean the site does track that info...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Wow the famous Phage and Overlord in my thread shucks

Sounds a little like

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join