It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it genetically wired into Brits to drink tea

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

One day, the universe will drink tea and war will be no more!

There might be something in that. Because when the Aussies were dropped off at the wrong beach at Gallipoli and as a result fighting their way up a steep slope. the Brits were reported to be drinking tea on their beach of landing and not in the action

edit on 6-1-2012 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Is it genetically wired into Americans to eat supersized foods?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

It's cultural not genetic.

A word of caution

and black people today cant resist chicken

Comments like this are very stereotypical and border on racism. I personally know of African heritage who do not like chicken. I personally love chicken and lots of it and I am white. What are you saying?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Thats like saying ''are Americans gentically wired to eat fast food'' or ''are the Japanese wired to eat whale or sushi''?
The answer is no and i used to drink tea(i am a Brit)but i haven't had a cuppa in years.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I do occasionally enjoy a nice cuppa tea, but I prefer coffee.
My mum though bless her has these massive packs of tea bags delivered. But now she drinks more coffee than tea I suspect she wont cancel all those tea bags out of niceness to the geezer who's brought them for years...Instead my Armageddon larder is bursting with all her unwanted teabags.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

hahaha lol sounds about right.i think the british soldiers always have a cuppa before they go out on patrol in Afghanistan

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

during the Falklands war an SAS regiment managed to survive for about 2 weeks on nothing but tea whitener and sugar left over from the tea supplies they brought lol

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Very funny hahahahahahahaha

nek minnit, all the Kiwis and Aussies are swapping their tea and coffee for BEER when footy or cricket is on the box.....
edit on 6-1-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

no - but it has become a social convention

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

No different to this thread whole thing is BS

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JessopJessopJessop

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Totally agree and that's a larger "whole picture" view which I can appreciate. I bet if someone explained to me why Pakis and Indians hate each other it would make absolutely no sense to me. Culture shock also goes hand and hand with it also, though an entirely different subject altogether.

Well there you go, your use of the word "pakis" for people of Pakistani descent would be considered out and out unnacceptable in Britain. So not only do you understand what I'm saying, you also accidentally demonstrated it.

As for the Pakistani - Indian - Bangladesh beef, I wouldn't know where to start

Lol you are right. New Yawk slang and British slang could mean two different things (here the term Pakis isn't offensive). Mexicans here(NYC) say the word "cabron" to each other similar to "my nigga" by urban youths, but if you say that word to a Puerto Rican be prepared for a fight. It means exactly the same thing in Spanish yet one culture uses it as comrade and the other uses it as a homophobic slur. Cultures are funny things sometimes, cheers.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Isn't caffeine what makes it a dehydrator (diuretics *sp?)? Maybe the non-caffeinated are the ones that hydrate?

Brewed black tea has less than half the caffeine of brewed coffee. Coffee really doesn't dehydrate you that much, only if you drink so much it makes you pee too much. I can drink tea all day but not coffee.

But tea is better for you, because it contains antioxidants.

Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food, or by environmental exposures like tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals can damage cells, and may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah Tea without a doubt is the better of the two as far as potential health benefit.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by bluemirage5

No different to this thread whole thing is BS

Lighten up, not every thread has to be so serious gee whiz

Don't read it and don't post in it if you really think that.
edit on 6-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

or maybe " black people " simply use the recepies that thier parents cooked and tought them , that specify " use chicken " without question - thus thats thier ` preffered ` meat

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwuhi
reply to post by TBR47

Your post sounds racist.
Some brits hate tea and love coffee.

they must be europeans then ! true brits, drink tea and love it !

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

It's just the intelligent thing to do. That's why Americans drink coffee lol. Tea hydrates you, coffee dehydrates you.

Wrong again. Caffeine is a diuretic, that means it makes your kidneys work harder to expel water from your body and makes a person urinate more frequently. You need to get over your hate for America because you show it here at ATS daily. No we are not perfect at all, and neither is your lot. Yeah, my blood comes from your Islands.

Didn't I say coffee makes you pee more? That's why it dehydrates you.

I don't hate Americans, my Dad was American, my oldest brother and sister, American. I am also an American citizen. You guys are just too sensitive to criticism, you constantly criticize others but cry when you are being bashed. You have an attitude of superiority in almost everything, that's why I bash you lol. Get over yourselves.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Didn't I say coffee makes you pee more? That's why it dehydrates you.

You just can't follow a discussion. Tea has caffeine as well, which makes you pee more and dehydrates you! Which, makes my original point. I think you like to argue just to argue. Either that, or you just don't read replies. ~SheopleNation

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Isn't caffeine what makes it a dehydrator (diuretics *sp?)? Maybe the non-caffeinated are the ones that hydrate?

Brewed black tea has less than half the caffeine of brewed coffee. Coffee really doesn't dehydrate you that much, only if you drink so much it makes you pee too much. I can drink tea all day but not coffee.

But tea is better for you, because it contains antioxidants.

Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food, or by environmental exposures like tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals can damage cells, and may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah Tea without a doubt is the better of the two as far as potential health benefit.

Tea also reduces the amount of dust mites in the human nose apparently.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I don't hate Americans

You don't?

You have an attitude of superiority in almost everything, that's why I bash you lol. Get over yourselves.

Really now? Wow, you're an entire threads worth of contradictions. No offense taken.
~SheopleNation

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Camelia sinensis is sacred to a lot of Buddhists.
I'd say it is a peaceful stimulant as opposed to coffee. It is a godsend to people with low blood pressure.
Of all the teas I tried, hard Pu-Erh was most to my liking, though every day I drink Bancha and I also like plain balck Turkish tee. When you overdo it, you become jittery but at times it may lead to a serene, awakened mind with contemplation and action at your disposal. I like Lapsang Souching too - but no aromatized ones except where there is nothing else.
Tea changed my philosophy. I remember my grandma used to brew weak black tea in the evenings.

Once I had fresh Japanese green in the Tea Garden of San Francisco. I never forget that sight, the freshness, the peace alive. The I understood tea is a sacrament under the right circumstances. I had great meditations afterwards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join