It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it genetically wired into Brits to drink tea

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It's just the intelligent thing to do. That's why Americans drink coffee lol.

Tea hydrates you, coffee dehydrates you.

Sodas are bad for you, tap water is boring and not always safe.

It's cheap, one tea bag can make a whole pot of tea, and it's good for you.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I drink coffee steady, once in a blue moon I will drink Earl Gray.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by TBR47

I've lived in Holland for 20 years. My last cup of tea was prolly almost 10 years ago. I hate the stuff. Unless it is Moroccan style and has a huge bush of mint in it but as mint is expensive here (they flow the stuff in from Israel!) then I just avoid it. I have some in the cupboard. Never used it.

When I came here (from the UK obviously) it took me a while to get used to drinking proper coffee as most drink instant coffee in the UK.

So, in answer to your question, no.

Mint tea is great, expensive? just grow it on your window sill in a pot, it grows like wildfire so don't plant it in your garden(it will take over).

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

good video

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

It wasn't the observation of it that made it racist, it was the images of white guys in blackface chirping "yessah sir love me dem ol' fried chicken and watermellon.."on stage in the 1920's, 30's and 40's. Same went with cartoons (loony tunes anyone) where they exaggerate black features and have them time hop around like clowns eating their chicken and melons. That left a bad taste in the mouths of Blacks I am sure regardless if they liked chicken or not.

Good thing people have loosened up a bit and are able to laugh at it now due to comedians and such, but it isn't something that was trivial and made for PC's sake, there's history behind it.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm sure my cat would love it!
Or maybe pee in it.... thanks for trying though.
Correction. Once I bought a mint plant at the local supermarket. Organic mint it said. 3 days later the lice infestation killed it and it did come with the lice as I grew it indoors. More euros wasted. Bah!

edit on 5/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
It's just the intelligent thing to do. That's why Americans drink coffee lol.

Tea hydrates you, coffee dehydrates you.

Sodas are bad for you, tap water is boring and not always safe.

It's cheap, one tea bag can make a whole pot of tea, and it's good for you.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Isn't caffeine what makes it a dehydrator (diuretics *sp?)? Maybe the non-caffeinated are the ones that hydrate?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

lol "i want that purple stuff "

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

It wasn't the observation of it that made it racist, it was the images of white guys in blackface chirping "yessah sir love me dem ol' fried chicken and watermellon.."on stage in the 1920's, 30's and 40's. Same went with cartoons (loony tunes anyone) where they exaggerate black features and have them time hop around like clowns eating their chicken and melons. That left a bad taste in the mouths of Blacks I am sure regardless if they liked chicken or not.

Good thing people have loosened up a bit and are able to laugh at it now due to comedians and such, but it isn't something that was trivial and made for PC's sake, there's history behind it.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

I know, but I'm saying perhaps the member isn't aware of those racist exaggerations and histories.

There's a lot of cultural differences and histories between nations and the internet is a bit of a death trap for this sort of thing. What's offensive in America might be acceptable in Britain, what's offensive in Britain might be acceptable in Australia etc etc

I don't think someone saying that Africans eat a lot of chicken historically is born of racism, in itself. In some countries that might be deemed a racist statement because of the history of negative stereotypes/slander, but in many countries such a statement wouldn't have the same context/backdrop.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah I have to keep my mint out reach from my cat, thats why I grow catnip lol, mint is from the same family.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
David Chappelle is comedic gold. Very intelligent and philosophical himself btw. Personally I think comedians are some of the smartest people, or at least some of the most observant ones.

One topic - I doubt it's genetic, moreso cultural conditioning, but who knows if eating or drinking something generation upon generation would become a part of that person's disposition.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Totally agree and that's a larger "whole picture" view which I can appreciate. I bet if someone explained to me why Pakis and Indians hate each other it would make absolutely no sense to me. Culture shock also goes hand and hand with it also, though an entirely different subject altogether.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

David Chappelle is comedic gold. Very intelligent and philosophical himself btw. Personally I think comedians are some of the smartest people, or at least some of the most observant ones.

One topic - I doubt it's genetic, moreso cultural conditioning, but who knows if eating or drinking something generation upon generation would become a part of that person's disposition.

Observational comedy is the best.

And I agree, I don't think there's anything genetic to eating habits. People might eat something because it's readily available or a cultural norm, doesn't mean genetically they enjoy it more.

You only have to look at documentaries in remote places where children eat the most bizarre of foods(by our standards). In some far-northern snow regions they catch whale and leave it for a year, like how we might do with cheese, and love it. They drink reindeer blood and what not as soup.

There may be slight alterations in taste buds, I wouldn't doubt it, but ultimitely I think if you're raised on something you'll take to it.

The British drinking tea is definitely cultural. Otherwise tea would surely be as popular in the likes of Australia and NZ, where the majority of white people are from the British isles (I think, correct me if i'm wrong)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Totally agree and that's a larger "whole picture" view which I can appreciate. I bet if someone explained to me why Pakis and Indians hate each other it would make absolutely no sense to me. Culture shock also goes hand and hand with it also, though an entirely different subject altogether.

Well there you go, your use of the word "pakis" for people of Pakistani descent would be considered out and out unnacceptable in Britain. So not only do you understand what I'm saying, you also accidentally demonstrated it.

As for the Pakistani - Indian - Bangladesh beef, I wouldn't know where to start

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Isn't caffeine what makes it a dehydrator (diuretics *sp?)? Maybe the non-caffeinated are the ones that hydrate?

Brewed black tea has less than half the caffeine of brewed coffee. Coffee really doesn't dehydrate you that much, only if you drink so much it makes you pee too much. I can drink tea all day but not coffee.

But tea is better for you, because it contains antioxidants.

Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food, or by environmental exposures like tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals can damage cells, and may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

The antioxidant activity of flavonoids depends on their molecular structure, and structural characteristics of certain flavonoids found in hops and beer confer surprisingly potent antioxidant activity exceeding that of red wine, tea, or soy.

Source

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

That's great, but we can't drink beer all day either. Kind of bad for the liver, among other things...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by TBR47

I've lived in Holland for 20 years. My last cup of tea was prolly almost 10 years ago. I hate the stuff. Unless it is Moroccan style and has a huge bush of mint in it but as mint is expensive here (they flow the stuff in from Israel!) then I just avoid it. I have some in the cupboard. Never used it.

When I came here (from the UK obviously) it took me a while to get used to drinking proper coffee as most drink instant coffee in the UK.

So, in answer to your question, no.

Mint tea is great, expensive? just grow it on your window sill in a pot, it grows like wildfire so don't plant it in your garden(it will take over).

By the way anyone who hasn't tried real Moroccan tea, your missing out! I love it but I'm not good at making it.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I didnt say this post is racist, i said it sounds racist, theres a difference.

Its a big nono to call someone a paki, yet in pakistan they call each other that and its not an insult.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

It is the way people use the word, I have heard it many times used in a derogatory manner and then it becomes racist, and the people who hear it again (The Pakistani's) know it is being used in that manner and so it is racist.

Anyhow cuppa anyone? one lump or two?

edit on 5-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join