It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS should BAN avatars that show members with a gun (we are NOT facebook here)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Sarcasm from an avvy with shiny swords, angelic wings, and a scorpion amulet for protection and intimidation?

This pro-gun, anti-gun, pro-liberty, anti-liberty, pro-speech, anti-speech thing is very alarming and odd to me? If a very pure pacifist came into the thread and criticized the guns, I might listen, but I'm definitely not listening to anybody so far.

I have a good friend, a Mason, a guy with a purple heart and bronze star from Vietnam, and he opposes violence of any kind. He won't even defend himself from an aggressor. He is a pure pacifist, and it comes from his first-hand experience, and him, I will listen to. I still disagree with him, but I will give his opinion all of the consideration it deserves, and I will respect it to the end of the earth. The rest of ya'll......meh.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Maybe after we get rid of the gun avatars , we will get rid of political avatars, because I don't agree

with certain Political views. Then we go after Cat avatars , because I'm a dog person ......

Or , we can mind our own business, follow the site rules , and chat about something that actually matters.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

You are aware that your avatar is carrying 2 swords? Now if i am not mistaken those are made pretty much for the same purpose as guns are.
So...
On topic - i fail to see connection between person with gun as avatar and future criminal history of an individual.
Pretty sure that everyone here saw avatars that are annoying and offensive to them, but it is just a picture so there is no reason to make fuss out of it.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Ben81

While your avatar has skulls? Isn't death and morbidity just as bad as guns?

And, for the record, ATS does have a policy regarding guns in avatars. They cannot be pointing directly at the viewer.

I wonder???? Should we also ban vehicles and doctors in avatars? They cause 1000s of times more deaths each year than guns. Maybe even ladders, and scaffolding, fires and floods? Where would it end I wonder?

HEY my punisher skull and sea sheppard skull are untouchable

they are the back ground for a reason .. look the main avatar
its some kind of a peace cryptic message of hope in humanity
not everyone can understand it

but come on Getreadyalready you know the limits im talking about
here you ban so many stuff .. but not this ... im disapointed
dont get me wrong .. i love ATS my best site

but this has to go .. and for good reasons that have stated above

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Wow man. thats all i have that wont violate T&C.
A$$ (2nd)

link   
The op has put up an idea on banning pictures or rather avatars with the pictures of guns in them, as it could lead to some form of violence.

Having read what all was being posted, the following can be stated:

While weapons, and especially guns have been at the center of controversy, the question is why target guns, why just stop there? Why not ban all images, and the people who are attached to them, of things that are a means to deal death. Here is a short list, by no means that it is a complete list, of said items:

Skulls and traditional pictures of death.
Swords.
Bows
Crossbows
Maces
Poles
Ax
Warhammers
Daggers
Bullets
People, both real and fictional
Animals
Plants
Arrows
All religious symbols
Vehicles, land, air, and sea
Food
Blank pages
Symbols of life
Words

Of all on that list, of everything that can be used to kill or inspire people to violence, the very last part on the list I have compiled you will find that has caused more deaths than all of the others combined, and will keep causing death to many people.
Many of those who have guns on their avatars, along with their pictures, one could be under the belief that they know how to safely operate said weapons, and ultimately, act with in the reasons of common sense and the local laws that govern what ever country they may live in. The very idea of banning someone cause they have a picture of some kind of firearm, is what is the ultimate problem that Political correctness has caused in our lives. And a very bad idea, as it starts with lets ban this or that, just a suggestion, where does it end? The answer should not surprise any of us, cause we all are victims of such, with the passage and constriction of our very rights and freedoms. The best case example of this lies with in the auto industry. The first is seat belts. It was not until very recently that seat belt laws came onto the books, in fact if you look at them, they all about started at the same time, all cause one doctor and insurance agent decided that such was a good idea, and now we all have to wear them. The other is MADD, it started out as a good idea that has been perverted and twisted beyond its original intent. It was not started to stop people from drinking, rather to stop people from driving drunk, now it has grown to soon be the new face and spokesman for prohibition.
Leave the pictures alone, you will have a better life for it in the long run.

link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by Ben81

Maybe after we get rid of the gun avatars , we will get rid of political avatars, because I don't agree

with certain Political views. Then we go after Cat avatars , because I'm a dog person ......

Or , we can mind our own business, follow the site rules , and chat about something that actually matters.

I absolutely will not tolerate any banning of Cat avatars.....my people are watching you...on every street corner and fence......see your favorite shoes ?? they'll be a casualty of Operation ShoeDump.....don't mess with the Cats.

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Sarcasm from an avvy with shiny swords, angelic wings, and a scorpion amulet for protection and intimidation?

Indeed, sarcasm is great

I added a comment saying that REAL men carry swords, I know sometimes humour is very difficult to read and interpret, so many are so uptight.

This pro-gun, anti-gun, pro-liberty, anti-liberty, pro-speech, anti-speech thing is very alarming and odd to me? If a very pure pacifist came into the thread and criticized the guns, I might listen, but I'm definitely not listening to anybody so far.

Yeah that's a good stance... well done.

I have a good friend, a Mason, a guy with a purple heart and bronze star from Vietnam, and he opposes violence of any kind. He won't even defend himself from an aggressor. He is a pure pacifist, and it comes from his first-hand experience, and him, I will listen to. I still disagree with him, but I will give his opinion all of the consideration it deserves, and I will respect it to the end of the earth. The rest of ya'll......meh.

Again fantastic.
Nobody can have a view on anything unless they are decorated and recognised within that field.

ATS would be kind of boring if that were the case.

Yes, let's limit people's ability to joke and poke fun and be sarcastic and criticise because not all them have served their country or sailed the world or traversed the Arctic.

You're right on man, thanks for showing me the error of my sarcastic ways.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

here you ban so many stuff .. but not this ... im disapointed
dont get me wrong ..

Other stuff gets banned because of the immaturity of those discussing it. ATS has tried many different ways of allowing those discussion until it finally reached the point of zero-tolerance.

If gun discussions ever get to the point where everyone is talking about committing crimes, and doing outrageous things with their guns, and it becomes too much for staff to moderate one post at a time, then at that point the policy might change, just as the other policy changed.

For now, moderators and Admin have no problem removing posts that call for violence, or make threats, and there is no need to ban the subject entirely. Gun advocates seem to have a maturity level that certain other advocates don't possess.

ETA:
And, FTR, I love the Punisher skull.

edit on 5-1-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well some of us have a different opinion.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

No one who is going to commit a violent crime would change their mind because they can't show a gun in their ATS avatar. No lives would be saved by doing what you're suggesting. It's absurd to think that if someone is going to kill someone else, they will have second thoughts because they couldn't show a weapon in their avatar.

As for scaring people...that's pretty silly, too. Everyone knows guns exist. Are you suggesting it's somehow traumatic to see a picture on the internet of someone, somewhere, who you don't even know, carrying a gun? If you're that sensitive, you can't reasonably expect any organization to enforce policies to accommodate you. It's such an exceptional sensitivity that the vast majority of people don't share that it's really up to you to change your own behavior to avoid being exposed to things that upset you - you can't very well ask other people to change their behavior on your account in this case.

Censorship is always the wrong approach. If you don't want to see something, don't look at it. If you don't want your kids to see something, don't let them look at it. You have no business trying to make rules about what other people can and can't look at.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Sarcasm is difficult to interpret over the internet, so I wasn't criticizing your post necessarily. Just making a point for anyone that might have missed the tongue-in-cheekness.

I also happen to love your avatar, and I have even printed it (a couple of weeks ago) and supplied it as an example to an artist who is designing a tattoo for me, so

edit on 5-1-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

link   
Is having a gun or a gun being shot in a avatar against TC policy? Violence per say?..... I have yet to put a avatar because almost half that I see are offensive too many yet it is always seen from the eye of the beholder, those who disagree are those who do not see the bigger picture, are those with the close mind, but feel free to be quick with a judgement as most here have judged already.

If you observe closely, many will dish out medicine quickly without ever trying it themselves to make sure it's okay or safe for the many, I'm I wrong? I think avatars are a sense of free speech, but remember sheeple, we are not free in this world, and if we are it always seems to be a useless fight, I am on the free side but, let's see where this goes first.

I noticed lately that ATS Mods are lacking and slacking on monitoring this site IMO, sorry ATS but I am kinda with the recent thread to leave and start or praise a new site that is more precise in what ATS lacks in. I have been on the search, does anyone have a idea of any out there already?

I am losing faith in the misdirection of ATS, sorry. But that is just my perception lately, and I feel that my sight and feeling of this will shortly be deleted via TC Violations per Mod, please take no offense Mods for "me" calling it how is really is, this rant is in way a violation, but may be seen or taken as a personal attack to those that imply ATS rules and regulations.

I have yet, and feel that no response will be answered about my passionate complaint I sent to Mods about the "the chat room violations per TC, Manners, etc...". It feels as if this site is no different than the rest on the Internet. They say this make take awhile because of the overwhelming, blah, blah, but in reality folks, people ALWAYS SAY AND LIVE OUT OF THEIR MEANS, that is why things in our world get out of hand, just when you think you have control..... You've guessed it

You do not. I'm seeing a prediction in a very un-sarcastic way, off topic post, where I feel this is very relevant and on topic.

Much love fellow ATSers

Thank you, and much Love to those
edit on 5-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Added love

edit on 5-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Added more love

edit on 5-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Fixing spelling

link   
reply to post by Ben81

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your avatar was a mob hit. You know like when they weigh the feet down and throw them in the river to sleep with the fish.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
because of this thread, im taking a picture with all my guns and making it my avatar...

talk like this is what we here at ats are against.

link   
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. As long as it follows T&C, it should be fine. I guess I just don't believe that looking at a picture of a person with a gun is going to make someone else go kill someone.

Some people could say my dog looks threatening. (He's actually pouting cause he got busted.)

BTW, due to the OP, anybody want to predict how many pics of people with guns will be new avatars tomorrow?
I've noticed that kind of trend here.

link   
ok ill jump down from the fence and say this, guns do not kill people , people kill people, guns are a tool that make it more stunning: hands, feet, rocks, sticks, clubs, bats, knifes , and yes skulls can all be used to kill with , how many were killed in Africa with machetes? and yet are all theses not tools? nothing to fear but fear it self , that is to say fear will only fear you if you let it, so avs have guns big deal. got any clue what my av is?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think people should be encouraging responsibility for one's actions and the understanding that there are consequences (positive, negative or neutral) that come from those actions.

No need to babysit...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of guns, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Although i do think some of them can be a bit posey. But, each to their own.

Personally i think the swirly, flashy, blinky, multi-coloured avatars should be banned. They give me a headache and sometimes i wonder if i'm being slightly hypnotized by them.

edit on 5-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Sarcasm is difficult to interpret over the internet, so I wasn't criticizing your post necessarily. Just making a point for anyone that might have missed the tongue-in-cheekness.

Touche, it is indeed

I also happen to love your avatar, and I have even printed it (a couple of weeks ago) and supplied it as an example to an artist who is designing a tattoo for me, so

Awwww shucks, now you got me blushing

Was it this avatar or my other angel one?

edit on 5/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join