It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS should BAN avatars that show members with a gun (we are NOT facebook here)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
We are in 2012 now ... time to wake the hell up everyone
im shocked that we still allow people to put in public forums pictures of themself with a gun
indicating a possible violent behavior that could result in harming someone someday

I dont know if there is many ATS members who have such avatar (exceptions: soldier/hunter)
but i recently noticed one .. and it gave me a very bad vibration
indicating a possible futur criminal profile
i will not say the nick here ..a mod can u2u me if needed
im usualy very open minded.. but pictures like this bring me bad memories

SchoolShooting.org
Facebook : End Shool Shooting

SchoolShooting.org launched on April 20, 2009 to commemorate the victims of the Columbine shooting. Although certain shootings, such as the Columbine and Virginia Tech tragedies, have received significant ongoing media coverage, there are hundreds of other shootings taking place in our schools at the local level. Given that there was no authoritative information resource on these incidents, we thought that we would fill a void with SchoolShooting.org. We hope first and foremost that this website will serve as a useful information resource to the public. Various organizations are welcome to refer to this data for whatever purpose they see fit.

Although it is not the primary purpose of SchoolShooting.org, we do also hope that the information on this website will ultimately translate into common-sense action to keep firearms out of the hands of children and students. We are not opposed to the right of Americans to buy firearms, as long as reasonable steps are taken to keep the firearms out of the hands of children and those with backgrounds that would indicate a threat to society.

all of those massacres on innocent could have been prevented
just by looking at a few disturbed facebook pictures of someone
criminal profiling ..

Many member on ATS are still kids and teenagers
WE need to show respect to all the young kids at school
who suffered the bullets of a class mate in rage
it happened to a lot of schools in the USA and in Canada..
and later the cops/FBI realised after recovering facebook jpeg
a lot of personal pictures indicating a violent behavior (guns, big knifes etc)
trying to impress or trying to look just cool with the hood on the head to avoid recognition.

Many young people can be wrongly influenced or scared to hell
looking at an avatar that display such violence and bad memories
It can scare any ATS member to come here ever again

I say we need to ban such picture from the web by also preventing any potential futur massacres
there is enought violence in the world ,look at all the news and threads we have here to talk about it
now lets take this more seriously then just talking about it

if we can save and help a few humanbeings even just one then WE MUST by all cost !
edit on 1/5/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with it...

..the T&C's are good enough as they are.imo.

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

In my opinion, the last thing we wanna do is start censoring more of peoples opinions, especially instilling fear of guns. just my 2 cents

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I couldn't force myself to read all of your post, but here is what I gathered.

You don't want people to have avatars with guns because it's a reminder of crazy people who posted pictures of themselves then shot people.

Maybe we should let people have them so we can see it coming? Ya know, see who the crazies are.

Regardless, you are being over-sensitive.

+34 more 
link   
reply to post by Ben81

While your avatar has skulls? Isn't death and morbidity just as bad as guns?

And, for the record, ATS does have a policy regarding guns in avatars. They cannot be pointing directly at the viewer.

I wonder???? Should we also ban vehicles and doctors in avatars? They cause 1000s of times more deaths each year than guns. Maybe even ladders, and scaffolding, fires and floods? Where would it end I wonder?

+1 more 
link   
If you don't like it, don't look.
People like you are why we are losing our freedoms daily!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Lets ban skulls cause they promote death. Lets ban freedom of speech because you can say rude things to people. Lets put soft cushions on all the walls of our house so we dont hurt our selfs.
edit on 5-1-2012 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

link   
I can understand your viewpoint, but the world isn't all gumdrops and rainbow forests.
there are criminals in the world who wouldn't think twice about putting 1 through your cranium.
I think you should be somewhat thankful that there are honest folks out there with a gun themselves, but with enough morality to only shoot someone to save your life.

otherwise you can just ignore the sub-culture entirely. it doesn't affect me one bit.

link   
They should ban folks with demons skulls in their avatars too, cuz it scares the children

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Yeah but this is the good 'ole US of A.... guns are king.

You can't start banning pictures of guns man... you're trampling on my freedoms.... my guns are like an extension of my being and ***t man... woah bro... don't take my guns away.
TPTB will kidnap people's avatars if the guns aren't there to protect them.

Avatars have the right to bear arms too you know...

Now SWORDS... that's where it's at
REAL men have swords

edit on 5/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think Avatars with dead skulls should be banned as it gives the wrong (insert personal opinion) Message.

Dolphins scare me and can be mean, so lets ban them too!

Do Cartoon guns count?

Sirric
edit on 5/1/12 by sirric because: added info just for you!

link   
Remember...

"Guns Don't Kill People...People Kill People."

Yeah I know it's old but appropriate.

We DO NOT need more censorship.

Peace

link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'll agree insofar as we should be respectful of those haunted by the spectre of previous violence, as well as show good judgement. I cannot agree with the censorship personally, though.

And as far as this:

all of those massacres on innocent could have been prevented
just by looking at a few disturbed facebook pictures of someone
criminal profiling ..

They also likely would not have occurred - and may have been prevented by - the avoidance of such stupid policies as Unarmed Victim, er "Gun Free" Zones (sorry, I always misspell that), as these zones will only prevent the law-abiding and those with no ill-intent from being able to realistically stop such who don't care about such stupid things.

Take care, friend.

link   
if we get rid of assorted symbolism in our avatars, how are we supposed to know who the macho and tough guys are? The last thing we want to do on the interwebnets is tangle with a net-tough.
edit on 5-1-2012 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think avatars that have skulls in them should be banned. They denote death and destruction, piracy, and the worship of hte dark arts. They disturb me and Lord knows you are not allowed to disturb me. I might get upset and get PTSD.

The fact is all those massacres you talk about have been in "Gun free zones." If the teachers had been armed, Columbine never would have happened. If a few students at Virginia Tech had been packing, that never would have happened. Criminals do not pay any attention to your signs or bans or laws. They don't care. Banning an avatar accomplishes nothing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
I couldn't force myself to read all of your post, but here is what I gathered.

You don't want people to have avatars with guns because it's a reminder of crazy people who posted pictures of themselves then shot people.

Maybe we should let people have them so we can see it coming? Ya know, see who the crazies are.

Regardless, you are being over-sensitive.

I mean that would be a good first step .. since any members can see it in any threads
why polluting everyone eyes with it ????? making a wrong impression to people who look at it
i was not talking about personnal picture saving in ATS picture bank
that would be another thing
but in the bank its something else

link   
The largest detterent to a tyrannical government is an armed populace....
2nd

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Uh.... go find a forum for carebears to force your irrational fear of gun images upon. We talk about conspiracies, government takeover and the genocide of the human race here.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The ATS avatar guidelines only state: ''6) No persons pointing weapons at the viewer of the image.''

So as long as they're not pointing the gun at the camera, then I can't see a problem if someone poses with a gun in their avatar.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join