It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Source: GM to call back 8,000 Chevy Volts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Exellent post, I didnt know they were lying that much.

Until electric or hybrids cost less to buy and less to operate than some of the little diesel cars I would never buy one. Most green solutions should cost less than the things they replace otherwise they are just another ripoff, people buy them because they are trendy.

AND if electric cars get real good and really catch on you just watch the price of electricity skyrocket.

edit on 5-1-2012 by mwuhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think that's a bit harsh really.. I mean electric cars are fairly new technology.. They aren't time tested and true like the internal combustion engine as of yet..
It's just the learning curve of modern science and technology.. I'm sure you can see my point here and in this case.

"Fairly new technology?"

William Morrison sold EVs in 1900. "Woods Electric Phaeton" of 1902 was a top seller in its day, and later became the 1st hybrid!

In 1828, Hungarian, Ányos Jedlik invented a small-scale model car powered by an electric motor that he designed. Between 1832 and 1839 (the exact year is uncertain), Robert Anderson of Scotland invented a crude electric-powered carriage. In 1835, another small-scale electric car was designed by Professor Stratingh of Groningen, Holland, and built by his assistant Christopher Becker. In 1835, Thomas Davenport, a blacksmith from Brandon, Vermont, built a small-scale electric car. Davenport was also the inventor of the first of the first American-built DC electric motor.

More practical and more successful electric road vehicles were invented by both Thomas Davenport and Scotsmen Robert Davidson around 1842.

inventors.about.com...

Ever try looking things up instead of making things up?

jw

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

I think that's a bit harsh really.. I mean electric cars are fairly new technology.. They aren't time tested and true like the internal combustion engine as of yet..

Very true and fair. They are new and they haven't exactly had decades to work the bugs out....so why is my Government spending large sums of cash to subsidize something like this? If it were viable, popular and made good sense, private industry would be all over it with all they have. Profit DOES make the American dream go round and round, after all. Find profit, and Uncle would be flat out told to butt out, let alone find happy hands to take handouts.

If this had 0 federal dollars involved, I'd have nothing at all to say. Chevy producing bad ideas and flops is nothing new...but doing it with MY tax dollars is. When our nation is beyond broke...by trillions of dollars...and we're struggling for the little things like filling potholes or paying for effective immigration enforcement, what the heck is tax money doing being thrown into a prototype project?

Heck..at the very least...that IS MY TAX MONEY.
The subsidies per vehicle EXCEED it's sale price...that means I've already PAID for each of those at least once or, to go on the higher estimates, several times over.
So..When do I take delivery of *MY* car? After all....as just noted..I already bought it. Distribute them by national lottery or something..but don't have the nerve, in Detroit, to actually SELL me a lemon I already bought.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

What's really sad is that despite having to recall 100% of their production for a potentially catastrophic failure, neither GM, the MSM or the Obama administration will use the term "RE-CALL;" they insist that it is a "call back" (whatever that means)!

jw
edit on 5-1-2012 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Interesting interview conducted by Jay Leno on the topic of Electric Cars. Funny enough, Henry Ford's wife preferred to drive electric rather than a Model T. Disregard his comments on the Volt ha ha ha

www.green.autoblog.com...
edit on 5-1-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

As far as the batteries, a few years ago there were batteries invented that hold more than 10 times as much juice per pound, and recharge in a few minutes, and cost far less, but of course they wont let those be used.

Almost all the problems the slime ball carbon tax collectors whine about have effective relatively cheap solutions but they wont let them be used.

edit on 5-1-2012 by mwuhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thanks for the link and that is interesting. Jay Leno is one I definitely respect the opinion of on this since he has a personal focus on automobiles at the level he does. If private industry can make a go of what worked 100 years ago, more power to 'em. So far, they've utterly failed in every attempt, every time. Go figure...but where there is effort, there is hope!

If they manage it without tax money, I'll even root for them and applaud any success...just pay for it out of their own funds..not mine.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is NOT breaking alternative news.

First of all, I heard this news a few days ago, second, there is no conspiracy angle to this.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I worked on a small part in this car.

Glad it is not the thing I worked on. Not my fault!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I stand corrected however there was no need to be rude about it....

In current form and design they are still new technology.. The concept may not be new, but seriously you're talking about a pretty crude motor...

Modern electric motors have capabilities for torque and speed that is akin to the difference between vacuum tubes and transistors..

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Vacuum tubes are still in common use for high power applications. We have these RF amps at work that have the TWT or traveling wave tube. Involves bunching... And big radio stations over 1000 watts still use tubes. Tubes are all the rage in the retro guitar and audio amp craze.

But the real difference between transistors and tubes is not that one is obsolete and one is new. Tubes are "current amplifying" devices where transistors are "voltage amplifying" devices. Both increase power but they are for different purposes really.

Am I off topic?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This is NOT breaking alternative news.

First of all, I heard this news a few days ago, second, there is no conspiracy angle to this.

Funny thing, you "heard this ... days ago," and the Associated Press is publishing it as "Breaking."

As for the "alt" and "conspiracy" angles, consider:

You've known about "this for days," yet the MSM and GM have not made it a headline story.

GM recalls 100% of its Volt porduction yet the Obama NHTSA and GM avoid the use of the word "RECALL," referring to it a a "call back." (WTF is that?)

The Volt was sold to the public as an EV, when it is really a hybrid, that gets nowhere near the hyped mpg in real-life testing.

The Volt and FM's salvation were touted as part of Obama's "green jobs" initiative, at taxpater expense, and GM is sending production and technology to China.

I could go on, but that would be another thread entirely.

jw

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I stand corrected however there was no need to be rude about it....

Part of the extreme failure of society is the failure to use objective, rational discourse instead of pop media propaganda as a "source" of information.

I am sorry if you are embarrassed by your failure to use a tiny bit of discretion before you posted an utterly false proposition as if it were fact.

Would it be better if we just accepted misinformation and looked the other way, or held members up to at least a minimum standard of having to look before they leapt into the CW and attempted to support a fantasy as fact?

I hardly think it rude to point out falsehoods when they are obvious. If you had bothered to look into the underlying facts, you would have saved yourself embarrassment.

Why is your failure to do so my fault or a transgression of etiquette to point it out?

jw

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I remember commenting about this car in another thread here on ATS, I said this car was a piece of crap, but I didn't know how bad it really was.

These kinds of things should never happen, this car was made with stolen money, Taxpayer Money.

As a technician, I can tell you this car will end up as one of the 10 worst cars made, ever !.

This is a disgrace and a slap in the face to the taxpayers.

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
What's really sad is that despite having to recall 100% of their production for a potentially catastrophic failure, neither GM, the MSM or the Obama administration will use the term "RE-CALL;" they insist that it is a "call back" (whatever that means)!

Is that something like a 'man-caused disaster (terrorism)'?

I want my tax dollars back.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This car is basicly useless. Unless you wanna BBQ your wife you might only clog streets with your sunday afternoon show off. I feel sorry for GM but they are clearly 7-8 years behind the Germans in hybrid tech.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This will probably anger some(or at least it should), in this thread.

The Prius plug in will come in at under $40k for fully loaded before tax credit. It does the same thing the volt does but with out the tax payers fronting the bill, and its based on a natural progression of existing proven technology.
news.cnet.com...$30k-after-tax-credit/

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

What a surprise! The Japanese are taking GM's market share once again. Who would've guessed?

I wonder how many of the Volt owners will be having second-thoughts once they bring the cars in for the "fix," and how that will affect the already over-hyped mileage.

jw

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

You are exactly right. Technology comes out in steps, even if its painful.

Americans don't graps the point of electric vehicles, that they are meant for commuters. Yes the range of an electric vehicle is short, An astonishing number of Americans commute less then 40 miles to work. The average is 33 miles.
So the majority of driving, which is done by commuting, can be done strictly in an electric car.
The gas is for the trip to grandma's for thanksgiving.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

And I apologize for pointing out your complete inability to be civil... You could have pointed out my error without being a total (insert derogatory word here) about it.

FYI.. You have no idea where I get my information on current events, scientific study etc. In fact you know exactly zero about me.. So please do not rely on pure speculation to make judgments and assertions.. All it does is make you look like a troglodyte.
edit on 6-1-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join