It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Mayor Emmanuel institutes new anti-protest regulations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Your probably familiar with the "Chicago school" of politics, it's principle is "cut your enemy's throat, then when they're dead, vote in their place." You may also remember that Emmanuel was Obama's chief of staff and hatchet-man.

It's stories like this that make me think that government is the problem, not business. I would like to see a large OWS contingent in Chicago in May of this year, to protest this. I just wanted to get the news out.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel made an admission on Tuesday: He “made a mistake” when he claimed that extraordinary security measures he proposed to handle protesters who descend on Chicago for the NATO and G-8 summits would be temporary and repealed after the events are over.

But the other changes will be permanent. They include: dramatically higher fines for resisting arrest; more surveillance cameras; parks and beaches closed until 6 a.m.; sweeping parade restrictions and higher fees for those events and empowering Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy to “deputize law enforcement personnel” and forge cooperative agreements with a host of state, federal and local law enforcement agencies.. . .

“First Amendment rights will be protected. Public safety will be also protected, and I don’t see the two in conflict at all,” the mayor said.

That’s not what the protesters were saying before applying for a permit to stage a massive May 19 march from Daley Center plaza to McCormick Place.

Thayer offered as Exhibit “A” a proposed parade ordinance tailor-made to stifle all manner of public expression.

“Every single protest in the downtown area would be considered a ‘major parade’ with a whole series of ridiculous stipulations,” he said. “Every single piece of sound equipment would need to be registered with the city a week in advance. You can’t predict who’s gonna show up with a bullhorn. They are also insisting on a full lineup of [participants] a week in advance.

“This does not just affect G-8 and NATO protesters. Everyone who’s got a beef with the city or a private employer in this town is gonna be affected by this ordinance. They need to take this very seriously and say, ‘We do not want to go back to these ridiculous restrictions and thuggish behavior in response to protests.’ ”

Thayer said he expects the city to deny the permit, setting the stage for a court fight.

Mayor's Mistake/Lie - Chicago Sun Times

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Surprise surprise, Chicago becoming more of a hell hole.

This is what happens when you elect scumbags like Rahm Emmanuel.

How can anyone still live there is beyond me. Being a homeless guy in any other state/city would be better than to live in a house in Chicago.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I guess Rhambo never got the memo on that whole 1st Amendment thing and freedom of Assembly? Hmm.. He must have been out playing Golf with Obama that day or something.... Let him go and play King of Chicagoland. Daley tried that endlessly on guns and while it took real effort and several tries...we finally fixed his wagon through the courts and we pretty well fixed it good.

Rhambo will meet a force even he can't intimidate after an outrage like this. It will come in black robes and holding a funny wooden hammer we call a gavel. I predict this force will 'school' little Rahmbo on things like the Constitution and how Mayor doesn't mean squat for assuming some kind of authority to circumvent our guiding document.

Who thought it was a good idea to elect this turkey anyway? He was Obama's enforcer and muscle... remember confrontations in the Congressional Showers? I weep for you, Chicago..I really do. We have Obama, but you have the man even Obama called when he needed a butt kicked or an opinion changed by less than polite means.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
When will we finally get to the point where these people say enough with all these "rules & regulations" that we must adhere to, for our safety. When will people finally stand up and tell mayors or other officials that their rules and regs are no longer recognized nor their authority and to hell with the consequences. I am not saying to turn it into a violent uprising, but there are also ways to blatantly defy the authority. We need a massive case of civil disobedience.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Isn't Chicago where Obama's campaign headquarters are? Could some of this be to protect him from protests?

And I thought that Chicago had a significant crime problem in the summer. Maybe that's why they have to deputize new people, because the regular police can't handle the crime and the protesters both.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We should stop pretending and just start shooting protesters in the face like in Syria....

Oh.....wait....we do. Just with hard rubber instead of lead.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well of course man, we would not want anyone getting lead poisoning now would we.

top topics

join