It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster Notice From The State???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Okay...Here is something new!

My wife has drawn unemployment for about three months now and when she went to file her weekly claim this is what the page displayed:

The notice is clear...but what could it really implicate?

Maybe this is just a general message...I think not though. It is new and seems to be cause for concern.

Does the state know something we don't...or just general preparedness in case of disaster?

Any thoughts?
edit on 5-1-2012 by jerryznv because: ...

doe.state.wy.us...
edit on 5-1-2012 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Wyoming + Blizzards = sounds about right to me.

I think most states have moved to debit cards. I was claiming unemployment in 2010 for a 6 month period and they gave me a debit card. Most state benefits are electronic.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Not sure what to think of this.
The good news is, They have a back-up plan, so she will still get her money!
But how will they do that if the internet goes down too?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

The electronic card is something my wife got from day one...so that is really nothing new...the notice however is!

I had not thought of blizzards...but those are nothing new for Wyoming either...so what disaster could they be talking about?

I mean a blizzard is hardly a disaster!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Yes but I bet she can't go out to cash her check in one..

uh-oh, my conspiracy theorist is about to speak!

YELLOW STONE!! When they impose a mandatory evacuation, she won't be able to GET her check! They don't want y'all to be in Maine with no money.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Not sure what to think of this.
The good news is, They have a back-up plan, so she will still get her money!
But how will they do that if the internet goes down too?

I suppose that is good news!

I'll let her know the disaster is nothing to worry about...she'll still get her money...maybe!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
In the UK they already forced most people to have it paid by direct deposit (bank account) which I believe was to reduce their cost, eg postage. As a side bonus the banksters also get extra funds sloshing about to gamble with.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There ain't nothing 'General' about Government's these days, almost seems like a nonchalant warning.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

YELLOW STONE!! When they impose a mandatory evacuation, she won't be able to GET her check! They don't want y'all to be in Maine with no money.

If it is Yellowstone...they need to issue this in about ten more states!

Wyoming would be under about 12 feet of ash...well that is what is predicted!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lBLaCkOuTl
There ain't nothing 'General' about Government's these days, almost seems like a nonchalant warning.

I don't know about nonchalant...seems pretty direct!

Agreed though...there is nothing general about government notices anymore!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Sorry, wrong choice of word, I meant more like flippant, instead of maybe a direct letter about a warning they kinda just bundled it in there amongst other information ya know.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by lBLaCkOuTl

Sorry, wrong choice of word, I meant more like flippant, instead of maybe a direct letter about a warning they kinda just bundled it in there amongst other information ya know.

Absolutely...they sure didn't try and hide it...but made a conscientious decision that it needed to be included with the other information.

I don't know...just strikes me as really odd...and kind of scary at the same time!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
OP... obviously if they are issuing debit cards... currency is still around... therefore its not the same type of disaster you are hoping for..

prolly a blizzard or tornado?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
OP... obviously if they are issuing debit cards... currency is still around... therefore its not the same type of disaster you are hoping for..

prolly a blizzard or tornado?

I'm not hoping for any kind of disaster...where do you get that from?

I'm actually hoping that there is never a disaster...there will be of course...I just hope it doesn't involve me!

As far as currency still being around...well that really isn't what I was getting at...I could care less about money if a disaster of any sort befalls my family!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Ah YES! I will feel immensely better knowing I have my state issued debit card to use in a disaster. Oh whats that? Theres no more electricity, or internet? Oh well, at least I can flick it through the air with a friend, we may even start a team based league! C'mon everybody join the Frisbee Debit Card League! /sarcasm

Why in the world would this make people feel better? The better question though is, why do they feel it necessary to give it out?
edit on 5-1-2012 by derst1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by derst1988

Why in the world would this make people feel better? The better question though is, why do they feel it necessary to give it out?

Personally I would have felt better had they not given out this warning (or alert...whatever you want to call it)!

I guess in time we'll know if it has any meaning...either disaster or not I suppose!

Let's hope for the latter!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

First off, I think they're full of it. Sure, you can keep your preferred method of payment for now.

Everything is going to debit card, and then eventually even those cards will probably go away.

"Convenience" is the evil that will get us all to submit. Of course the debit cards are more reliable, and convenient, and of course you have a choice at the current time, but that is only temporary. Eventually, there will be no choice.

How close are we? Mark? Police State? Economy

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

First off, I think they're full of it. Sure, you can keep your preferred method of payment for now.

Everything is going to debit card, and then eventually even those cards will probably go away.

"Convenience" is the evil that will get us all to submit. Of course the debit cards are more reliable, and convenient, and of course you have a choice at the current time, but that is only temporary. Eventually, there will be no choice.

How close are we? Mark? Police State? Economy

Your absolutely right...even writing a personal check in my home town is becoming troublesome.

A lot of stores won't take a check anymore...but they are more than happy to have you swipe your card as an alternative payment method.

Offering a card as an alternative payment method in case of disaster though...yikes!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing
In the UK they already forced most people to have it paid by direct deposit (bank account) which I believe was to reduce their cost, eg postage. As a side bonus the banksters also get extra funds sloshing about to gamble with.

In Canada they do direct deposit too, although it was never forced

It seems the most convenient, as we use debit cards issued from the banks to shop with.
To pay bills, it's all online, mortgages and loans are auto take from bank. Good in any disaster, we don't have to go to the post office to get the cheque, or line up in a bank or credit union to cash it. If we need cash, we go to any money terminal with our debit cards.

In a few years, all money related transactions could be done through your smartphone.

Winter is just starting, there could be a weather disaster.
edit on 5-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I found this link about sever winter storms...but I would not consider it a disaster...at least not in Wyoming.

www.disastercenter.com...

A major winter storm can last for several days and be accompanied by high winds, freezing rain or sleet, heavy snowfall, and cold temperatures. People can become trapped at home, without utilities or other services. Heavy snowfall and blizzards can trap motorists in their cars. Attempting to walk for help in a blizzard can be a deadly decision.

A winter storm can range from a moderate snow over a few hours to blizzard conditions with blinding wind-driven snow that lasts several days. Some winter storms may be large enough to affect several states, while others may affect only a single community. Many winter storms are accompanied by low temperatures and heavy and/or blowing snow, which can severely reduce visibility.

When I hear the word "disaster"...I tend to think more along the lines of earthquake, flood, volcano, comet, etc...

new topics

top topics

join