It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding notices from ATS via ATS' private messaging system...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
We're seeing off-topic complaints (within video or announcement threads) regarding the notices we send via our private messaging system when we post new videos and new announcement threads that are important.

I'm sorry that a minority of members view notifications from us, regarding things that we're doing and things for which members should be aware, as an irritant. But to be clear, they are not email and are not spam. We are not invading your personal email, and never would unless you've double-opt-in subscribed to our email newsletters.

For those uninterested in such messages, there is an easy method to immediately delete any message without ever opening it.

Because some of our announcements may be critically important -- such as changes to the Terms & Conditions, new site features, or important information from ATS -- we're not going to implement an opt-out feature for messages from ATS that utilize our own site-specific private messaging system.

Again, it's unfortunate if you find such messages irritating. But please be aware that we view these as a convenient way to inform logged-in members about something new or important.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Deleting is too easy.... And what better way is there for attention whores to get the attention they crave than to come into the threads linked in the messages and complain about receiving the message?

The system makes it irresistible and easy.

Click its gone... Oh no, no, no... They've invaded my personal space, spammed me, how dare they?

Once again, ATS... Too many people are taking this all WAY too seriously...

Rather than providing an opt-out option on these messages, you should consider providing just an opt-out button with the message... One click and that member bans themselves from ATS.

Problem solved all around.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I dont like recieving messages every couple days about these recap shows. Im far from an "attention whore" on this site. I can understand recieving messages about changes to the T&C or new site features but i certainly dont see these recap shows as "critically important".

Ahh but i guess im just being a complainer and i dont matter. Oh well

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Deleting is too easy.... And what better way is there for attention whores to get the attention they crave than to come into the threads linked in the messages and complain about receiving the message?

I am one of those people who dislike to get repeated messages about things I have absolutely no interest in, like the ATS Recap videos. After seven of those messages, it gets annoying. I also find it offensive that you call people like me "attention whores". I am entitled to my opinion, whether you like it or not, and I would appreciate it if you could manage to give us YOUR opinion without the name calling.

edit on 5-1-2012 by InsideOfItAll because: Spelling...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It really makes no difference to me...I mean sure it would be nice not to get spammed with recap messages...but deleting them is pretty easy too.

I could go either way on this one...do away with the messages...or they're really easy to delete.

If ATS feels like they are important to the majority of the members then fine...I'll just delete them...but if the majority thinks they're troublesome...then get rid of them.

Whats the majority say?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm another one who doesn't like getting these messages almost every other day. It's kind of hard to ignore that big yellow Message button on that ribbon that keeps popping up on the screen every time I click on a thread. It would be nice if there was a way to opt out of those "Recap" u2u's.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Question, when you receive mail at home, do you open everything, or throw the junk away without reading it?

If you've decided that you don't like the content of the message, then just delete it.

Is that really that much more difficult than complaining?

It must be easier for some to complain, than to simply use one click to make it go away.... Interesting. Perhaps some people feel that their message box is their own personal territory, and ownership should give them the right to complain when that personal space has been invaded this way?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't care much for the recap messages, however, it does make me smile and go "I got a message!!!" until I see what it is and delete it.

It is not a big deal though.
I love the message system!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I get this oh crap feeling
when the new message
pops up like *uh oh what I do now?*

Then I read it and it is just
a reminder i am so relieved.

I like getting the messages on the new polls
that are put up.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I love the ATS newsletter and have since I first signed up. But I don't understand why someone, especially like ATS who even coded their own forum cannot include some sort of "Opt-out" function for the PM messages.

And because we're the "minority", does that mean our opinion doesn't matter? I'm sure more people are annoyed by the PM's as much as us vocal members. Just that they're, well not as vocal about it. And the whole line where you said, "I'm sorry that a minority of members view notifications from us, regarding things that we're doing and things for which members should be aware, as an irritant" was pretty idiotic in my opinion. Because we ALL know, that just because we don't want our emails and post boxes bogged down with "save the children" leaflets that we don't care about those children.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Yea i open all my mail at home. Youd be suprised the stuff you throw away that looks like 'junk mail'. Im glad to see that you are so happy about the delete button. Maybe yall are on the way to a fruitful relationship. However i do have an opinion reguarding recieving messages about a recap show that i am not interested in, and if you dont like it I really dont know what to tell you or care what your response may be.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm one of those who does find it irritating and I think it is disingenious to compare it to your home mailbox. My purpose on here is to read/contribute to threads but that highlighted 'messages' nags at me in the background. I have to break off what I am reading and I'm wondering 'Did I do something wrong?' or 'Have I received a PM?'. Occasionally it's the former
though mainly it seems to be ATS publicising itself. OK I can delete it but that's not the point. I think there should be an opt out button for all but essential notification from mods.
edit on 5-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well, the only option I can suggest for ATS is to create an ATS RECAP forum, similar to the ATS Live forum... Those who enjoy the content can go there...No more U2Us... Because it seems that the very convenient, informative and easily deleted broadcast messages are only an invitation for the complainers to complain.

Either that, or the opt-out/self-ban option I suggested in a previous post.

Maybe, an option to opt-out of the message system altogether?

Seriously people, why so serious here?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I agree with the complainers.

The ATS Recap thing is hardly urgent news that needs to go out to every member. That would be like me spamming all the members every time I post a new thread.

ATS recap wouldn't be so bad if it was just a weekly thing but, they seem to come out with a new one every other day. Big time overkill IMHO. Recap is just another thread that I can click on or ignore as far as I am concerned and it doesn't merit interrupting members with a U2U every time another one comes out.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Why the need to muck up potentially interesting thread topics with complaints/suggestions that dilute the content and instead, could have been added to the thread (which is a sticky at the top of this forum, by the way) intended for such things?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Dude, its not the end of the world. Not even that serious. Just peoples opinions. Get over it already. Or is that why you came into this thread to begin with? To point fingers and call names? Why so childish?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Seriously people, why so serious here?

Personally I wouldn't have thought of raising the issue as it is only a minor niggle (albeit a pretty constant one). That said - just too tempting not to stick my oar in (now that it's been mentioned).

edit on 5-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Why so childish?

Excellent question, very relevant to this topic, however there are no answers.

Finger pointing and name calling?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If you want people to know about things, you have to tell them.

The radio shows we do have all been running for over a year now. They have - more or less - stuck to the same day and time. The shows even have their own forum, and yet people still don't know about them, and folk still come into the chat room at show times and are surprised there is a show on.

So why shouldn't ATS advertise its own content within its own forums? Strikes me as a bit crass for people to complain about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
So why shouldn't ATS advertise its own content within its own forums? Strikes me as a bit crass for people to complain about it.

ATS recap is right there on the home page of the forum, big as day. Nobody can miss that.

The radio show has a banner at the bottom of the page when its on. Again, its really hard to miss. If people don't know about these things then shame on them.

An announcement U2U for new features like these is appropriate to let the members know what's coming but, a new U2U every time a new episode comes out is a bit intrusive IMO.

There are other ways to advertize this stuff without sending out mass spam U2Us every time a new episode comes out. It may be easy to delete them without reading them but, with some of the slow browsers out there, this can be really time consuming for some people. We don't all have Fios internet.

Also, we may overlook the really important announcememts if we become accustomed to deleting mass U2Us. There is such a thing as overusing the system. Its the "boy who called wolf"; after a while, nobody listens anymore and when you have something REALLY important that needs to be put out, people are likely to ignore it.

Save the mass U2Us for important messages.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join