It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish file-sharing group recognised as a religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Swedish file-sharing group recognised as a religion

vr-zone.com

A file-sharing organisation has gained official recognition in Sweden as a religion, an unusual move that could have repercussions on the debate about the illegal downloading of files.

The Church of Kopimism considers “kopyacting”, or file-sharing, to be a religious service, despite most people seeing it as little more than a digital act.

Kopimism gained recognition as a religion just before Christmas after applying three times to the Swedish government agency Kammarkollegiet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Im not exactly sure how I feel about this yet. This is either complete idiocy, or absolute genius.
In either case, this could change the way we look at digital information.

One question that I have regarding this issue, is whether this is a religion or simply a philosphy?

Another is, will the restriction or blocking of digital information be regarded as not
allowing freedom of religion?

This is a very interesting story, and may have some serious implications if it is taken seriously. This is something we'll have to watch to see how it is played out.

vr-zone.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

While this might sound like something akin to the idea of the Jedi religion, it could have a monumental effect on the legality of various laws against illegal file-sharing, as internet cuts and website blocks could be seen as religious persecution, a violation of a fundamental human right. Read more: vr-zone.com...

Definitely a stroke of genius at work here.

Their claim is just as valid as any other religion, and also alot more noble, if i might add.

Their beliefs are that information wants to be free, and belong to everybody, basically.

There is no profit motive at all here, just a want to practice their beliefs without repercussions or societal oppression.

edit on 5-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
In celebration I added a hidden "Kopimi" logo to my avatar. You can see it from the profile.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I saw an interesting question on the internet along these lines "Does this mean if this happened in the US, SOPA etc would be unconstitutional?"

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea4One
I saw an interesting question on the internet along these lines "Does this mean if this happened in the US, SOPA etc would be unconstitutional?"

It would probably be viewed the same as honor killings by Muslims-- part of the religion, yes; acceptable in the society, no. The main difference is though is that it is a fundamental tenet of the religion rather than more of a custom.

The constitution only talks about Congress making laws respecting an establishment of a religion and says nothing about them making laws disrespecting one. In light of that, it would then be unconstitutional to repeal copyright protection.
edit on 1/5/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/5/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea4One

I think this is one of the most important reasons that we need to be watching this story.
IMO, it would be unconstitutional......this may be more important to our freedoms than many realize.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Indeed, but first you guys need to get together and start a religion, and get it approved. That may be the best weapon yet in the war against copyright organizations and the big media industries.

On another note, the same is true with drugs, since som religions use them (ayahuasca for exampe) they are not illegalized, and perfectly okay to use by practitioners of that religion, while others may not.

This would be the same thing then, except most people would have to be members of this anti-copyright religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just think, you could be monk who oversees large volumes of info. They should adopt the open source methodology as well.

This is also a way to usurp government control of the internet, if large donations paid Host computers could be funded then it could never be shut down as everyone could still dial into someone.
edit on 1/5/2012 by LordBaskettIV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
SOPA that!

I love to see thinking outside the box like this. Use the same stupid system that is clamping down on our Liberties against itself. Brilliant!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Genius. I hope this catches on..

Sad you have to mask freedom as religion.
edit on 5-1-2012 by The_Zomar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join