It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

34 Shocking Facts About U.S. Debt That Should Set America On Fire With Anger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I thought this was a pretty good read. Fact number 5 shocked me,

#5 The U.S. government spent over 454 billion dollars just on interest on the national debt during fiscal 2011.

Source - 34 Shocking Facts

I wish more people knew that the government has its own power to create and issue money. But no - let's have the banks (FED) do it, and then we pay them back with interest.

If you haven't seen it yet, I would also recommend Bill Still's video, The Secret of Oz.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I've been banging this drum for a while and very few people care. You might as well be warning about vampires, its interesting but fictional to most people.

D-day is coming and will forever alter the landscape of the world and the way we live in the United States, but Iran is the threat, and uninsured Americans, and abortion, and gay-marriage, and ... No one cares about the real problems.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow "#17 During Barack Obama’s first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined." Change?

Wow...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

I think people will only really worry when hyperinflation occurs. Most people think they can't understand or should not concern themselves with things like economic and monetary policies but when someone lays out the facts of how the system works, in layman's terms, it is actually fairly simple.

I only know of 2 places it happened. Germany in the 30's (I believe) and Zimbabwe in the last decade or two. The rush to print more and/or larger denomination banknotes is surely a telling sign that all is not well.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Another source for scary real-time info on our debt is here:

usdebtclock.org...

Originally posted by ThreeNF
I thought this was a pretty good read. Fact number 5 shocked me,

#5 The U.S. government spent over 454 billion dollars just on interest on the national debt during fiscal 2011.

Yup, the interest we pay on debt is the fifth largest budget item. And that's just the INTEREST, there's no effort to pay down the principal (in fact we continue to accumulate more debt and further increase the principal and the interest debt load).

Originally posted by ararisq
I've been banging this drum for a while and very few people care.

In fact most people care very much about it. The US economy is frequently cited in polls as the item people are most concerned about. The problem is that most people feel powerless to do anything about it and feel that regardless of who we vote into office the problem is just going to continue to snowball, and indeed they are right. It's going to take a radical change in government to reverse this course, and frankly I don't see that happening unless there's a collapse first.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It is not only governments that are hooked on money/debt though, so are people. If any President came forward and tried to truly fix the problem the people would turn on him in an instant...because the massive changes needed to the system can never be applied without hurting people more than they are already, even when it is the right thing to do, and would benefit everyone dramatically in the long run, most would rather pass on all the problems created in this generation to the next, just as the previous generation has done to us.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Buy gold , then buy more gold, and finally, buy more gold.

A 100 dollar bill will always be able to buy 100 dollars worth of goods. If the goods double in value
then your 100 dollar bill will be able to still buy 100 dollars worth, only now it will take 2 of your 100
dollar bills.

Gold has no fixed value, it will rise to match the doubling of the goods.

Most likely rise more that the increase in the goods because dollars will be dumped in the rush
to acquire precious metals.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
It is not only governments that are hooked on money/debt though, so are people. If any President came forward and tried to truly fix the problem the people would turn on him in an instant...because the massive changes needed to the system can never be applied without hurting people more than they are already, even when it is the right thing to do, and would benefit everyone dramatically in the long run, most would rather pass on all the problems created in this generation to the next, just as the previous generation has done to us.

I was just watching CNN and they were talking (finally) about the "economic crisis" - cutting back on military costs, and how they are figuring to do that.

Someone mentioned that anything that finally gets done by a President, gets set in 10 to 20 years later, so that he doesn't have to take the blame. They said Regan was the one, sometime in the 80s, that set in retirement age to 66, and many people didn't even notice, because he put it ahead 20 years.

Now, there saying they have to do something about this "crisis" soon, but it doesn't sound like anyone knows what to do. They can't wait 10 years for something to begin.

This is the reason for many ground troops going home, I'm guessing more drone work, they can't afford the soldiers to be everywhere but home.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ronald Reagan found the country bankrupt when he took over.

He created little Trust Funds for each Federal Department and told them to go out and invest it to have something to operate off of/ pay their retirees.

There is enough money in the DOD Military Retirement Trust Fund to pay the Nations military retiree's for +8 years without 1 penny of Federal Appropriations.

He also let Veterans Affairs start seeing Veterans for NON-service connected healthcare. Then the government started billing their insurance companies AND making BANK selling those veterans DRUGS for their NON-service connected healthcare.

Congress doesn't even fund Veterans Affairs anymore.

They are still investing hundreds of Trillions abroad in other countries with those Trust Funds. Some say they've got over a Quadrillion in the Funds now.

America's "Federal Debt" of $15 Trillion is small change. It's interest payments on money borrowed long ago to make turds. Only Congress can create money....and they owe $500 Billion annually to a private bank as interest payments on money they "borrowed"......Only Congress can create money. They never owed anyone interest on money made from nothing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

And that ain't nothing. It'll break the 1 trillion mark easy real soon.

#3 During 2011, U.S. debt surpassed 100 percent of GDP for the first time ever.

False. It did go higher during WW2.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
I've been banging this drum for a while and very few people care. You might as well be warning about vampires, its interesting but fictional to most people.

D-day is coming and will forever alter the landscape of the world and the way we live in the United States, but Iran is the threat, and uninsured Americans, and abortion, and gay-marriage, and ... No one cares about the real problems.

You wrote one the most important and true comment in this thread so far....and nobody noticed.

Well I did....one star for you my friend.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Well technically approx 80-90Billion of the paid interest is returned to the Government via the Treasury (The debt the Federal Reserve holds, it doesn't make profit) so it does in a sense lower the total amount we owe. But if we lowered our government spending we could pay off huge portions of the debt rather quickly, since much of it is short term self loaned money.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Excellent video, S&F for posting it thanks! I started watching it thinking that it was just another rehash of fiat madness 101 but it turned out to be much much better. I had not seen it before, very informative.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Buy gold , then buy more gold, and finally, buy more gold.

they effectively priced gold out of the reach of the average citizen. 12 years ago it was affordable and you could buy 6 oz's for the price of 1 oz today.

not bad.

your money is more worthless than ever.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

The US government has the power to create free energy, too. But that would SOLVE the money issues - eliminating the NEED for money in the first place. They want to hide the tech (electrogrvitics) and suppress it for that reason. They would lose the power over Others that the money system affords Them.

If We can spread awareness of electrogravitics and the free energy, We can not worry about debt. It too will vanish along with the need for money.

If any of You are not aware and would like to see more about this, please read My thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I remember what my Dad always used to tell me, "money will buy you some things, gold will get u more things, but lead will get you anything you need."

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Wow "#17 During Barack Obama’s first two years in office, the U.S. government added more to the U.S. national debt than the first 100 U.S. Congresses combined." Change?

Wow...
Yup, that guy has to go. He and his minion of the corrupt changers.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by ThreeNF

I think people will only really worry when hyperinflation occurs. Most people think they can't understand or should not concern themselves with things like economic and monetary policies but when someone lays out the facts of how the system works, in layman's terms, it is actually fairly simple.

I only know of 2 places it happened. Germany in the 30's (I believe) and Zimbabwe in the last decade or two. The rush to print more and/or larger denomination banknotes is surely a telling sign that all is not well.

I believe you might be leaving a couple countries out. Also I believe Sweden is the only country it actually worked.

When all of this printed fiat money comes out of the money supply it is inflation. I think the figure is something like 4x our money supply since 2008.

As a consumer we see it here in the US as the grocery store and just about everywhere we shop. Our grocery bill has gone up by 50% in the last 2 years. I think real inflation is around 15% at this point.

It can not go on like this for much longer something will have to give. It will be the Euro in the next 6 months.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
So who actually owns all the money? I mean, if you're in debt x amount, you're in debt to someone for x amount. The whole world cannot be in debt, unless there is someone, somewhere, with all the money, that is lending it out.

I'm not an economist, and obviously it's not like Monty Burns is sitting in the corner actually owning all the world's debt, and it is obviously held by a lot of people, but who are those people?

If everyone in the world was actually in debt to nobody in particular, you could solve the economic crisis by just agreeing to wipe out debt globally overnight, for both governments and people, and then just move on from there.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
So who actually owns all the money? I mean, if you're in debt x amount, you're in debt to someone for x amount. The whole world cannot be in debt, unless there is someone, somewhere, with all the money, that is lending it out.

I'm not an economist, and obviously it's not like Monty Burns is sitting in the corner actually owning all the world's debt, and it is obviously held by a lot of people, but who are those people?

If everyone in the world was actually in debt to nobody in particular, you could solve the economic crisis by just agreeing to wipe out debt globally overnight, for both governments and people, and then just move on from there.

I believe the private banks own all the money
Why the government exchanges bonds for money from the FED, and then has to pay them back with interest is insane. I don't get it. I'd recommend checking out the Secret of Oz video - very informative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join