It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York governor urges mandatory DNA samples

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

New York governor urges mandatory DNA samples

www.breitbart.com

New York's governor on Wednesday proposed making the state the first in the country to take mandatory DNA samples from anyone convicted of a crime, including relatively lesser offenses.
Governor Andrew Cuomo, in an annual "State of the State" speech to the New York legislature, said currently DNA was collected in less than half of crimes on the books.

"I will propose a bill requiring the collection of a DNA sample from any person convicted of a felony or Penal Law misdemeanor," said Cuomo, a former federal prosecutor and New York state attorney general.

Cuomo said that applying
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So, this is how it begins.

There has been talk of this for a long time now, but with more laws, tighter restrictions, and stronger enforcements, most people will end up having their DNA taken and registered. The article states that this will be mandatory for lesser offenses as well as violent ones. How less of an offense is what I'd like to know. A speeding ticket? Jay walking? Protesting? Writing something mean about Obama on your Failbook page?

This is total insanity. America has the highest population of prisoners in the world, now they can use this to their advantage. You'll be really screwed if you mess up and get arrested. Not only will they have updated pictures for their facial recognition technology since you've been offering these photos through Failbook and other sites, now they can match your face with your DNA. More cameras going up all the time and more restrictions giving you the opportunity to mess up, then forced to submit DNA for their ever growing database.

I can hear the cage door closing.

www.breitbart.com
edit on 5-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The end of the article is very 1984ish:

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance welcomed the initiative.

"I am pleased Governor Cuomo has made post-conviction DNA collection for all crimes one of his legislative priorities," Vance said.

"Our current law only permits us to collect DNA from half of all convicted offenders. It?s as if doctors were only permitted to use a life-saving medicine in half of their cases. It would not make sense in medicine, and it does not make sense in law enforcement," he added.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I imagine this would be very expensive.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Between permanent records, registries and now DNA databases why do thy bother releasing anyone at all?

They should just keep them in perpetual detainment since they arent doing anything to work toward rehabilitation and certainly arent helping to reduce recidivism.

Why the games?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sure. But, it's for our protection.

I'm sure DNA collection justifies printing more fiat money. Also, I'm sure tax payers won't have a problem with their hard earned money paying for something that will help protect their families. Think of the children!
(end sarcasm)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

No games here, sir. This is serious business.

My imagination is running wild with all sorts of scenarios. They could use the DNA to identify weaker links or know who can be targeted for ethnic cleansing. Maybe the chips are DNA specific, so they can target who gets what chip. In the event of a killer virus, they can easily say who is susceptible and must be quarentined for the protection of others.

I could go on and on. Are these factual instances? Probably not, but who really knows.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

This is total insanity. America has the highest population of prisoners in the world,

www.breitbart.com
edit on 5-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

Yup, all 312,804,187 of them.

2nd

edit on 5-1-2012 by HellstormRising because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

Thanks for posting that number. I'm assuming that's only the number of ADULTS though, right?
The article doesn't specify, but I'm wondering if those under 18 are also going to have their DNA taken.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
They do this in the UK but only if you are charged and then if you not convicted of any crime the police must destroy the samples.
I am not sure about it tbh, yes it can help catch people who do lots of crime but my question is how easy would it be to stitch someone up with dna evidence?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I think he was posting the population of the USA....

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Yes, I gathered that much. I was referring to the number being that of the adult population, so I'm wondering how many children we have in juvi at the moment. It's probably one quarter of the number he posted.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Not for them. I bet this little expense gets added to whatever fines go along with the offense. Like the other poster said, It's the sound of the cage door closing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Tell him where to go I would. If someone tries to take my DNA i will resist to the end. Why should i give them anything that can be used against me?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

New York will charge the people arrested for getting their DNA taken. Increase the fines for the crimes or a new tax added to the fine.

New York knows how to suck a populace dry to create jobs. Now they'll be sucking peoples DNA out for petty misdemeanors.

Isn't it amazing New York still has residents? How people survive in that State is amazing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

True that and I agree.
I'm wondering how much longer before they simply begin taking the DNA from newborns. This way, the
Pre-Crime Unit can get up and running instead of waiting for little Johnny to grow up and commit a crime to gather his DNA. The cost of gathering the DNA from the newborns can just be added to the parent(s) hospital bill.

Man, the more I think about this, the scarier it gets. We already know that our privacy is being eroded and that they don't care, so I can easily see where taking DNA from newborns can be implimented. I don't think they'd have any problem threatening the mother with DCF holding the infant until mom & dad sign the DNA submission form.

But, I'm going off on a limb here, so I'll stop before I derail my own thread.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is about MONEY the profits to be made for keeping DNA data houses, compilation and research that the PRIVATE companies involved in this project already have speculated on, once the have your DNA they can use it in anyways they want.

The future of owning DNA data bases is unlimited.

Just follow the money trail and you will find out that most of the corrupted, liars and greedy politicians behind this bill have links and pockets full of money to push this agenda.

People needs to understand that in America our corrupted politicians will crap on the citizens for money.

We the tax payer will be tag with the bill to create a DNA data base but the companies involved will be reaping profits on keeping this data bases.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You're probably right and I'd take it one step further by saying that this is another reason to justify why prisons are moving towards privitization.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It seems that the Fifth Amendment could apply here. Isn't unwillingly providing a DNA sample just like testifying against yourself?
Worth a shot?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xizd1
It seems that the Fifth Amendment could apply here. Isn't unwillingly providing a DNA sample just like testifying against yourself?
Worth a shot?

Exactly what I was thinking.
and it could be added to Miranda rights.....
Right to remain silent, right to not have us suck your blood.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join