It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are Living In The Past... Scientifically.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
So the speed of light is measured at exactly: 299,792,458 m/s. Speed of Light

So barring no other interruptions in processing, you would still be processing information from 1/299,792,458th of a second in the past.

Now you have to add in the time it takes the light to travel from its source, to bounce off of the object being viewed, to be redirected to your eyes, and then the time it takes your brain to actually process the image.

It takes the average human brain between 300-700 milliseconds to process and understand a nervous input. So lets add another 1/700,000 of a second to the equation.

Now given that the light source is one meter away from an object and that object is one meter away from you, it would take the average brain:

1/600,284,916th of a second just to realize what is being seen in front of them. In other words it takes you 600,284.916ms (milliseconds) to process what is going on.

Seems pretty fast!

Until you realize that in fast-fission nuclear reactors that the prompt lifetime of a neutrino is only 10^-4 to 10^-7 seconds. These extremely short lifetimes mean that in 1 second, 10,000 to 10,000,000 neutron lifetimes can pass. Nuclear Chain Reactions

And, given that the low-ball estimate for the number of neutrinos that the sun passes through your body is in the range of 6.4^14 neutrinos/second (and this is ignoring all other sources other than the sun):

That would mean that the universe is affecting your body at the minimum of 640,000,000,000,000 times per second...

Heck, I wonder how many times You have been affected by the universe in the time it took you to read this post, or this word, or even the time it took the light to pass from your computer screen to your eyes...

Makes you scratch your head when you think about it
edit on 5-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: Fixed a link, and title.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I thought the processing time between photon (etc) input and the creation of our "picture" of the world is more like half a second. I'd read, for example, that when we're playing tennis and hit the ball it's already going over the net. And, of course, the question of "who" is looking at (perceiving) the created constantly moving picture.

So is it half-second or a small fraction of that before "we" become aware of "present time".

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I think it depends on whether you are referring to the brain knowing what is going on, or whether the conscious you knows what is going on.

From all the numbers I have researched the brain actually functions faster than "we" do...

Makes you think even more...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Good to know that new star sent here to change us is working so fast check what tolec says about the new male blue star to birth our new 4th d world

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
reply to post by Aleister

I think it depends on whether you are referring to the brain knowing what is going on, or whether the conscious you knows what is going on.

From all the numbers I have researched the brain actually functions faster than "we" do...

Makes you think even more...

I'm asking specifically about when we become very conscious of the environment. I know the brain works much faster (have often had the experience of hearing a crowd laugh a portion of a second before the punch line is said) than we perceive the world enough to notice it or decide "what to do next". Maybe that's the half-second delay I'm thinking about. It's fun to think about though, and one practical use for it is that the old axiom about driving and giving the car ahead of you two car lengths fits into how our brain operates quite well.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

And a different but related point. I'm often thought about the numbers of photons which have to be emitted from the sun. When there's a full moon, for example, there have to be enough photons to illuminate every infintiesimal point on the moon so that they reflect in every direction at once so they bounce off every point of the environment in every direction so we can see it, and then do it again the next "moment". The photons enter our eye, but if we move a quarter of an inch to the left, a whole new stream of photons must be emitted to cover that portion of space. You get the idea - eternity in a grain of sand type of numbers.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Aleister because: spelling

edit on 5-1-2012 by Aleister because: spelling

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

well done! What a fantabulous thread!! S & F from me.

What an exceptional way you have explained this. Best thread I have read for a long time!!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Thank you!

I just wanted to give everyone something to think about today

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well, yeah, of course. 'Tis rather obvious your experience in the present is one of a long dead world.

Though you did make some magnitude error, 300-700ms is 0.3 to 0.7 seconds, not 1/700,000th of a second. I didn't check the rest.
edit on 1/5/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: maths!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

when truth is the present always same for any objective space

then if the universe is done, truth is u there present, that universe is a lie

like i guess, a futuristic space where it is all to present truth as from, what is there individual freedoms are liars

so we have truth with us here more then with them, bc truth is never any space it started from absolute freedom fact to infinite superiority,

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

You are correct. It was 5am and my brain was going off-of the 1/1000 ratio. I should sleep before posting anything dealing with math, lol.

Also, it takes you 600,284.916 MICROseconds, not milliseconds to process information. Yeah, no more insomniac posts for me...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
wowzers I was thinking about this last night as I was drifting off to sleep.

exceptional info, bumping it and will add some fodder for discussion later

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
well it has been one hell of a journey but I have finally found myself...

I was at the 43rd milli second...or nano second and that explains why I keep disappearing.

omg

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Okay. If the previous factoids freaked you out, the how about this one...

www.nature.com...

Published online: 13 April 2008 | doi:10.1038/nn.2112

Unconscious determinants of free decisions in the human brain

Chun Siong Soon, Marcel Brass, Hans-Jochen Heinze, & John-Dylan Haynes

There has been a long controversy as to whether subjectively 'free' decisions are determined by brain activity ahead of time. We found that the outcome of a decision can be encoded in brain activity of prefrontal and parietal cortex up to 10 seconds before it enters awareness. This delay presumably reflects the operation of a network of high-level control areas that begin to prepare an upcoming decision long before it enters awareness.

A lot of people seem to think that this means that we humans don't have free will. I don't know how this research suggest that, but that's not the point of this post. The point is that what each of us experiences as Corporeal Conscious Awareness (CCA) is delayed - in whole, and that's critical to understand here - for up to 10 seconds, according to the research indications. Talk about being behind the times.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You are in the future and past at the same time, depending on who is looking at who...

If someone stands on the Sun and looks at you in the earth, his image is 8 minutes delayed because of the distance the light have to travel, and its vice-versa for the guy on earth to look at the guy on sun.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

To take it a step further...

When you look at most of the stars in the sky, you are looking Billions of years in the past in most cases...

Just think of how many of the stars in the sky don't even exist anymore, but we still get to enjoy looking at them due to the time it takes the light to reach us.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Very very cool. I like thinking about stuff like this.

Also, in a spiritual way, sometimes I feel like I am living in the past, present and future all at the same time.

join