It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our purpose just to be observers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I was thinking about if there was a god and if god would have actual eyes, as alot of people think god is invisible yet omni present so would not have "eyes" as we have them and how and what does it actually see feel etc.

So this led me onto thinking something else, that as far as we know it, the only things in the universe that can actually see the universe live on our planet. As we have found no extra terrestrial life yet (or atleast confirmed) then technically the things on Earth are the only things in the universe that can observe the universe.

If we weren't here at all nothing would know the universe was there and what purpose would things like light serve if there were no receptors to pick it up.

I know it could be said that we developed light receptors because there was light, and not the other way round, but even without eyes we are sentient beings that acknowledge the existence of the universe and know we are here.

I am aware there is a theory that particles act differently when they are being observed as though they know they are being observed , do we keep the universe together by observing it?

Here is a link to the theory about particles

Double Slit Experiment

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

If God exists and created us then he must have had a reason.

This implies we have a purpose to fulfill.

So if we have a purpose to fulfill, it is likely to be an active purpose. We have to do more than observe.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

But it would be active if by being here we are keeping the universe in balance. Imagine if the laws of physics/nature acted completely differently if we weren't here to observe it. So we would be fulfilling some sort of role.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I've always liked to tie together the fact of particles changing due to observation and the philosophical theory that reality is completely manifested due to your perspective (be it conscious or subconscious). It would seem that the Universe is obviously made up of particles and the way you view it would change it, at least possibly for you.

This has always brought me to a rather grim thought, however. I imagine that I am creating the reality that I view and experience for myself which, in theory, would mean that I am manifesting the aspect of all the other individuals around me as well, regardless of whether or not they have "souls". It makes me think that maybe they are just soulless beings, as I can not prove that they have a soul. If I manifested my reality and manifests things like animals and mathematical formulas, it would only make sense that I manifested other beings as well, even their consciousness.

However, this is only a ridiculous sounding theory but sometimes it makes me feel like I am God who has forgotten he is God for some reason.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Perhaps you are not manifesting something that would not otherwise be there, but by observing alllowing things to act as they "should" instead of any old way. That way it doesn't have to be depressing
It can be that the reality you are helping to create is the correct one, the intended one, and that is why you are there to observe it.

The paradox is, we would never know what the it would look like if you were not to observe it and neither would anyone else.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

This is a thread I made a while back, with another viewpoint on what we are and why.

Not to plug my own stuff, but I thought you might find it interesting.

A grim outlook, the Misery of the bored and lonely One Consciousness

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-1-2012 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown

Perhaps you are not manifesting something that would not otherwise be there, but by observing alllowing things to act as they "should" instead of any old way. That way it doesn't have to be depressing
It can be that the reality you are helping to create is the correct one, the intended one, and that is why you are there to observe it.

The paradox is, we would never know what the it would look like if you were not to observe it and neither would anyone else.

All this theorizing has been hurting my head!

Quite paradoxal indeed. The Taoist live by one of the verses in the system of Lao Tzu's "Tao Te Ching" that state (I am writing this from memory, by the way, so don't quote me for accuracy): "The Tao (God) that can be named is not the true Tao".

Perhaps this is true for vision or perception as well?

"The God that can be perceived is not the real God"

Sounds a little strange but it is an interesting thought based off of these paradoxes.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

Plug away! I read your thread, very complex but when you say once conciousness, does that mean now that all my thoughts and me typing this to you is not an extension of my own consciousness but just the imagination of the greater conciousness?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown

But it would be active if by being here we are keeping the universe in balance. Imagine if the laws of physics/nature acted completely differently if we weren't here to observe it. So we would be fulfilling some sort of role.

The appearance that consciousness affects reality at a quantum level also has a second possible interpretation, but it is one that, while more logical and with a simpler explanation of causality,it offends our ego somewhat.

It is not our consciousness that affects reality at a quantum level, it is reality at a quantum level that determines our conscious response. We are unable to choose a path that is not dictated to us by reality and we only think we 'decided' in our minds. In fact our minds were unable to come to a conclusion that was not compliant with the reality from which our minds arise.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I know my heads gonna explode SOON :

That is the thing god surely would not be visable, would not be a man or a woman. Would not sit in one place or on a cloud, but how would it look upon, as in observe? If it has no eyes does it really see us as individuals like people that believe in a personal god like to think?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Although this removes free will in an empirical sense, it does not remove volition.

We can still determine (to our point of view) whether we will, or won't, perform any particular action.
edit on 5/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

What I mean is that everything, every particle, piece of matter and thought anywhere in the universe plus the universe itself are figments of the imagination of the One Consciousness.

Nothing exists , except for pure consciousness, everything else is a manifestation of it.

At least that´s my theory, regardless of wether the consciousness is happy or not.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I like that idea (being an observer) very much, because I was thinking something like that for a longer while.
As soon as a person has reached a point, where he/she has lost most traces of egoistic thinking, there is not much left to do than to just relax and observe what is going on around you. Observing also helps us to understand others, our surrounding and ourselves and as we can see today, taking action does not always mean something good.

It is like that saying: Talking is silver, silence is golden.

But if there is a "god" that needs our gathered impressions or if we are living in a simulated reality (like "the Sims" / or "Matrix") and all our impressions are needed by a " being outside of our existence", I do not know yet. Sometimes it feels like it (simulated reality), but other times not at all. Maybe we are also part of a "god-being" (like the stone is part of a peach) and everybody helps that being to grow and to understand its existence. In that case as well it would make sense, that we are observers.

But I do not think it is good to say, that we are ONLY observers. We can take action, we can create, we can change things. It is possible to do those things without physical action, but as we are part of a bigger crowd and people only believe what they can see, it is once a while necessary to do something in a physical way, so that people that are observing see something happening.

For me the purpose of my existence is to create a better version of myself over and over again until my body dies and I will be reborn. Where and when depends on what I've learned so far. To be able to learn, I need to listen, observe, learn and understand to be able to take action in a way that helps my existence and therefore my surrounding.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

It is not our consciousness that affects reality at a quantum level, it is reality at a quantum level that determines our conscious response. We are unable to choose a path that is not dictated to us by reality and we only think we 'decided' in our minds. In fact our minds were unable to come to a conclusion that was not compliant with the reality from which our minds arise.

This is probably very true. A path is chosen based on our programming...so our previous experiences and the knowledge we have usually makes it possible for only one particular reality to be rendered.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
To serve as proxies.

Infinite possesses finite via using finites as proxies.through the Door. Oh, you thought the Door was for OUR benefit (and it happens to also be), but no. Infinite becomes greater than infinite by through communion with proxies, also is finite, as a complete set, of every possible variation and iteration, as infinite numeration, which requires all of eternity time to complete.

All are tools. All are used. The key for us is to become AWARE of the communion that has taken place with every finite since conception and to understand how to flow within the boundaries which is your sojourn. Otherwise, on your own, fighting against immortal Providence direction, finites are as leaves blown about in the storm. Only to complain about the storm and how it is all the fault of the storm for every plight and sorrow.

Infinite wants your finite existence. Your ability to have nothingness and silence. The greatest gift you can give is you as you are. The Surrender.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

More detailed than you think have a read of the urantia book, it helps explain the big picture very nicely

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Observers are what we are essentially. Seeing, hearing, tasting, touching. The rest is fantasy.

top topics

join