It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PayPal made the buyer DESTROY the....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Here

I love your site and was thrilled to hear of your “win” against PayPal. I recently had a heartbreaking experience of my own with them. I sold an old French violin to a buyer in Canada, and the buyer disputed the label. This is not uncommon. In the violin market, labels often mean little and there is often disagreement over them. Some of the most expensive violins in the world have disputed labels, but they are works of art nonetheless.

This is so bad its unreal, I never realised they could do this!
edit on 5-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

What?

Open a website and spam you with popups?

Edit:
Thank you for providing some of the text...all of the story would be better... i can't even open the site.... so many ads

edit on 5-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Its an interesting story but this isn't Redit lol.

Please provide more information so people have a reason to click on the link.
Also your own take on the story would be nice.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
the idiot should have destroyed a cheap pawn shop violin if anything and took pictures of that to send to pay pal since their only verification of a fraud is your word and a picture.

this could have been settled way more easily without the destruction of property.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Since there are activist groups for everything and nothing these days, lets form one and make a petition and street demonstrations AGAINST THE DESTRUCTION OF VIOLINS (because theres no greater evil in this world). As long as we live, there is always going to be one of us FIGHTING for the rights of VIOLINS TO EXIST and NOT BE DESTROYED BY CORPS LIKE (who are they again...? oh yes...) LIKE PAYPAL!

This sounds really stupid... because I'm an historian and I used to play violin and... ok... so the violin got destroyed, he survived ww2, so did my piano and my grandmother (these 2 didnt get destroyed yet) so... I dont really feel shocked or offended... lol and its hardly a "YOU WONT BELIEVE IT"...

It would be a "YOU WONT BELIEVE IT" if he had sold a kidney to buy an ipod... oh wait... well... thats been done before, so... GET ME SOMETHING NEW... and shocking... like us using dogs to set off IEDs... oh wait. Ermmm... come on, just get me something really new and shocking.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Pretty sure you didn't get the point of the article. It's kinda like your post, unique and forgotten.

The men in black are here AGAIN!

That's shiny..........

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
If the buyer wasn't happy with the purchase why didn't he just return it? What a wasteful policy.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Pretty sure you didn't get the point of the article. It's kinda like your post, unique and forgotten.

The men in black are here AGAIN!

That's shiny..........

Did you just star your own post? Cause no one in their right mind would agree to that nonsense... men in black... shiny... what the hell? you high?

The point of the article is stupid as the article itself... who cares about what Paypal has to make you do for you to get your money back? He got his money back... so the issue is dealt with. Why do I care about the "means", when my real issue lies with the "ends"? If I got my problem solved, great... I couldnt care less how it was resolved. If thats paypal's policy, ok... maybe they had it with frauds so they turned a bit more aggressive. Who can blame them? We live in a world that one half is always trying to screw the other half... so this is perfectly natural.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I can't believe there's somebody in here that is just totally fine with the needless, wanton destruction of artifacts from ages gone by, from many, many years ago. This stuff is our cultural heritage as humans and to destroy it is bull#, especially when there was no need to do so. It's even worse if you consider FraternitasSaturni is basically ADVOCATING it and ACTIVELY DEFENDING paypal for this.

edit on 5/1/12 by Yazman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
What an arrogant, dangerous policy. The buyer is absolutely protected, but the seller: You're out of luck, pal.

As a merchant who is currently considering online payment gateways, this is enlightening. I don't wish to have a dispute against my merchandise result in a potential $10, 000.00 loss of my goods because some idiot decides to call foul without knowing what the heck they're talking about. There seems to be no mechanism for the seller to defend themself at all.

Plus, as mentioned above, the buyer could easily procure a cheaper replica, destroy that one, and keep the one they bought. PLUS get their money back. This invites theft and fraud.

Forget Caveat Emptor in this case - they buyer is more than covered.

Paypal sellers beware: Caveat Venditor

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Since there are activist groups for everything and nothing these days, lets form one and make a petition and street demonstrations AGAINST THE DESTRUCTION OF VIOLINS (because theres no greater evil in this world). As long as we live, there is always going to be one of us FIGHTING for the rights of VIOLINS TO EXIST and NOT BE DESTROYED BY CORPS LIKE (who are they again...? oh yes...) LIKE PAYPAL!

This sounds really stupid... because I'm an historian and I used to play violin and... ok... so the violin got destroyed, he survived ww2, so did my piano and my grandmother (these 2 didnt get destroyed yet) so... I dont really feel shocked or offended... lol and its hardly a "YOU WONT BELIEVE IT"...

It would be a "YOU WONT BELIEVE IT" if he had sold a kidney to buy an ipod... oh wait... well... thats been done before, so... GET ME SOMETHING NEW... and shocking... like us using dogs to set off IEDs... oh wait. Ermmm... come on, just get me something really new and shocking.

But Violins sound better with age. pianos dont nor do old people mabey it becuase im a muscian. no offence But it not only that it their T&C thanks shocking

edit on 5-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

hehehe i was going to say the same thing.

due to the reports of pop ups and it being a reddit story thats been pinched and posted here, i will not click.

but im guessing that its the reddit story that someone has posted on a crappy website with pop ups and money making stuff embedded, to try and make money off a story thats nothing to do with the op.

for shame!

why cant we anti flag!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yazman
I can't believe there's somebody in here that is just totally fine with the needless, wanton destruction of artifacts from ages gone by, from many, many years ago. This stuff is our cultural heritage as humans and to destroy it is bull#, especially when there was no need to do so. It's even worse if you consider FraternitasSaturni is basically ADVOCATING it and ACTIVELY DEFENDING paypal for this.

edit on 5/1/12 by Yazman because: (no reason given)

I'm not advocating it or actively defending anything... I'm just trying to say, since I have to explain myself as if I am speaking to 6 year olds, that its not such a BIG DEAL that deserves a thread in ATS or even for someone to be shocked at.

And world war 2 was not a "long long long time ago" or in a "galaxy far far far away"... see what I mean? Besides, since I've studied music and I'm an historian I really dont care about that particular violin... now if it was Lady Tennant Stradivarius or a Del Gesu, well I might have a different opinion.

But even so... I would read the policies. After all... whos stupid enough to sell something really historically important through paypal? Its like auctioning Petra or La Pieta in Ebay... it just shows you have no respect for the legacy it carries. Since you have no respect for it, why should I?

Every piece of history should be treated with respect. (of course a 60 year old violin is hardly an historical piece unless it was owned and played by someone famous at that time... a ww2 luger is rarer and worth a lot more than a 60 year old "old french violin")

By the way... that guy or girl is an idiot, cause the bourguignon is not from france, is from belgium... so it seems he or she didnt even know what the hell was it... second, if it was really good, a real bourguignon is worth about 20k... not 2500. Third he or she didnt read the policies clearly stated. So... I have no sympathy. Destroying the violin is for me a beautiful metaphor of the end of something for someone who clearly didnt deserve to own it. Better to die than to be a slave of an ignorant... at last the violin had some peace.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I hate paypal, I WISH THEY'D REFUND ME, I don't even get a reply when I ask for a refund, they owe me 3 so far I will never use them again and i've deleted my accounts with them.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Had something similar happen with a friend that sold a excedingly rare Gretsch guitar. It was one of only 85 made, and one of ?? precious few still intact, and playable. The buyer was a bugger licking moron, and disputed it's authenticity. He wasn't made, or told to destroy it, but it got UPS'ed during return, and came back in two pieces. UPS refused to believe it was worth over $10K, and the return shipment wasn't insured properly like the original shipment. Long story short after the attorneys got involved UPS, and the online broker all payed up (out of court) for their part in it. Even though he ended up with more than the asking price for his troubles, he would have much rather seen an awesome vintage guitar continue to be played, and appreciated.

Just like the violin, a piece of history was lost because some moron didn't have the brain capacity to appreciate it, or know what it was. BTW that buyer contacted the seller 6 months later wanting to buy another rare guitar from the guy. He was told exactly where to stick what, and how far up it should go. Funny thing is the violin basher is proud of smashing the violin. What an idiot. If I were God I would shove a lightning bolt up his arse everytime his wife, or girlfriend faked an orgasm. I also think Paypal should have to pay double for every antiquity, or piece of art etc... their moronic policy destroys that is proven legitimate. Just return it, give the money back, and leave it at that. Destruction of the property is wasteful, and unsupervised. When a valuable piece risks destruction on some moron's word alone, that's just ignorance gone to seed.

Bourguignon, Maurice:
Master maker and expert, born at Mattaincourt (near Mirecourt, France) in 1885. At the age of thirteen he started his aprrenticeship under the guidance of Chevrier in the special workshops for the making of instruments in the Maison Thibouville. He later perfected himself in the best Parisian (Paris is in France) workshops and with G. Mougenot of Brussels, whose successor he became in 1910.

Dictionary of Violin Makers Vol1. Chapter 6 pg 255.

He succeeded a Belgian maker, but Mr. Bourguignon was indeed French, and made violins in France for a considerable frame of time. I have seen less desirable, and/or earlier examples of his work go for $600. The instruments that go for thousands are from the pinnacle of his career, although he never made a bad sounding violin. To smash one is profane.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Binder because: edit to add

top topics

join