It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama plans to cut tens of thousands of ground troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
" The Obama administration will unveil a "more realistic" vision for the military on Thursday, with plans to cut tens of thousands of ground troops and invest more in air and sea power at a time of fiscal restraint, officials familiar with the plans said on Wednesday. "

President Barack Obama will help launch the U.S. review at the Pentagon on Thursday, and is expected to emphasize that the size of the U.S. military budget has been growing and will continue to grow, but at a slower pace.

Overall, the Pentagon is preparing to cut more than $450 billion over the next decade to help lower the U.S. federal deficit. The number of wars the U.S. military is expected to be able to fight simultaneously is one area likely to be addressed.

Source / Alternative source

The strategic review of U.S. security interests will also emphasize an American presence in Asia, with less attention overall to Europe, Africa and Latin America alongside slower growth in the Pentagon's budget, the officials said.

Though specific budget cut and troop reduction figures are not set to be announced on Thursday, officials confirmed to Reuters they would amount to a 10-15 percent decline in Army and Marine Corps numbers over the next decade, translating to tens of thousands of troops.

It doesn't really matter if you bring the troops home or not, the wars will continue with UAV's and Airforce assets and Coalition Forces as demonstrated in Libya, since as stated the target area will be Asia.

This will probably be one keynote that he'll use in his bid for the Whitehouse along with ending the war in Iraq, so much for border security. Maybe we can start defending our borders then from the largest organized crime unit in the world, that would be a start.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Daedal because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Seems he wants to replace the boots on the ground.

My bet is, they will replace those cuts in personal with Private Contractors.

No accountability with Mercs .

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Would the Real Barack Obama please stand up?

Is it the President who is talking tough in very war like terms with Syria and Iran?

Or, is it the President who wants to gut our military?

I'd sure like to know if I'm voting against a Hawk or a Dove...He seems to be a transformer here lately.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Makes sense, with the recent success of drone missions in the Middle East, especially Pakistan and Libya, who needs troops on the ground? Those road side bombs are taking too many lives. I bet the next to do on their list is building Mech Robots to combat ground troops, tanks, and bases. And with all the video game junkies (guilty) in the world they'll have no trouble finding recruits.

When I was in the USN a few years back they were downsizing personnel. The USN was not afraid to let someone go if they had a reason. At the same time the US Army was grabbing up all the sailors who got the boot and signed them up for big bonuses. Looks like the Army is going to be downsized as well.

edit on 4-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If obongo says hes going to cut troops that means he will increase troops.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Why pay for ground troops? Invading a country by ground in this day and age with our huge Air Force and Navy as secondary options would be "dumb". The chances of us fighting by ground on a large scale in the 21st century on opposition land is slim to none. The only thing in need of protection would be the homeland against foreign invasion, we have over 300 million citizens willing to protect our home, there is no need for a large amount of ground troops when you have 300 million unpaid citizens to do the job you need done.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
So Obama is now planning to withdraw troops from overseas? Well isn't that great or not?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
i wonder how many contractors will replace the troops.
question, are military contractors listed under the pentagon budget?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is the one good thing that come out of the election races....people steal each other's good ideas.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Gawd .. I swear .... he's just trying to gut more of our military to weaken us as much as possible before he is kicked out of office. Yes you need a strong airforce but you also need boots. Lots and lots of boots.

This is what you get when you take a 'community organizer' from Chicago and make him Commander in Chief. It's just plain wrong. :shk:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If I was President I'd get the Supreme Court to order every American over 60..... mentally incompetent (the world will agree), throw them all in homes...'so they can retire'. Give them a small stipend to play bingo and buy shower shoes.

Immediately 60 million jobs open up or are created. Their kids, due to their parents getting declared "mentally incompentent" would get control of their parents homes, cars, money. Boom to the economy.

A Hyper boom to the economy. Make me President...I'd fund our military. Straight into Mexico to divide it up into new States.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I am seriously wondering why no one is mentioning the fact that after President Obama made that speech yesterday about changing strategies, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta got up and started discussing all of the things which will be strengthened or cancelled. He said on TV that the US military will be beefing up and using more things in Space. Keep in mind i am paraphrasing but he said that Space is an issue which will become more active. If anyone has the youtube link please post it so I don't feel like I'm the only person who picked up on this.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
TERMINATOR
Wheres Arnold when we need him

Oh yeah, he said, I'LL BE BACK

top topics

join