It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PayPal ordered Canadian to smash antique violin, woman alleges

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Not knowing the details, perhaps Paypal was actually right in this case. If hypothetically 100 years ago somebody made a fake copy of a name brand violin, does that still count today as a fake that should be destroyed?

good point.

the fact is, nothing is "fake" unless it is claimed to be something it is not.

obviously this woman who sold the violin is the only one at fault because she knew all about the issues with the labels but failed to make note of it in her description of the item. she had something that "could maybe possibly" be a great violin but also "could maybe possibly" be an almost great violin.. and she chose to name it as the one that would get her the most money.

her attempt to explain it away as a "work of art" hardly excuses her willfully deceptive actions. if she loses the money and the violin, she can only blame her self. thats karma for you.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

thanks for posting that about pre-paid visa. you can get those at walmart, right? i'm not sure where else to look for them.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by surfin4it

Paypal is one of the worst, but easiest ways to pay. It has barely any rights for the seller of items. Just for the buyers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

You must be talking about purchases made through eBay only then, which is only a part of where their business comes from. Or only physical goods.

I bought an xbox live gold code only 3 days ago and used paypal to pay the website I bought it from. The seller told me that they didn't receive the payment, paypal told me that they did but that even they admit that they did and say that they sent the code to me (which they didn't) paypal have no way to prove otherwise and therefore they will be unable to reclaim the money for me as digital content is not covered by their protection.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ozmaoz47
reply to post by cerebralassassins

thanks for posting that about pre-paid visa. you can get those at walmart, right? i'm not sure where else to look for them.

Not sure about walmart.

But what you should do and everyone should do, is make a list of your local banks and either ring them or go down in person and ask to be informed regarding pre-paid visa cards, making sure that if they do supply pre-paid visa cards that in no way are they physically connected to any pysical bank accounts. Its important that , that needs to be crystal clear. Because some bank's have an option that you can load your pre-paid visa cards via your physical bank account. That is something that you DO NOT want to have as an option. Remember the reason why you would like a pre-paid visa is because you want the safest possible way of purchasing online without it being remotely connected to any bank account.

So in short, if you have lets say 100$ loaded into the pre paid visa card and you purchase an item of 100$ you would need to physically go to the bank and do a physical request of re-loading that pre-paid visa card with what amount you want. Its also another means in limiting your spending and defending yourself against online sniffer attacks, identy fraud and the list goes on. Simply get informed and inform as many people you might want to regarding online shopping.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by K1771gnorance
I doubt this is true. PayPal is basically an escrow, and from my experience is really good at it. It is not a "little-known" fact that PayPal holds the funds until everything is made right, that is the main feature of PayPal.

If the buyer doesn't like the product, the buyer can ask for the money back, however the buyer will not get their money back until they return the item to the seller. If the seller doesn't get their item back, they can keep the buyers money.

"PayPal said it could not comment on the case due to the company's privacy policy, but its dispute resolution policy says it can order the destruction of items if the buyer can prove it's counterfeit.

"We carefully review each case, and in general we may ask a buyer to destroy counterfeit goods if they supply signed evidence from a knowledgeable third party that the goods are indeed counterfeit," PayPal said in an e-mailed statement. "The reason why we reserve the option to ask the buyer to destroy the goods is that in many countries, including the US, it is a criminal offense to mail counterfeit goods back to a seller."

I have had some bad dealings with Paypal and you can't win with these people. But what I will say is that selling a WWII violin over Ebay(judging by what is said it seems like that is how it was sold) is just silly anyway.

The whole thing is quite bizarre on both sides.

Thanks OP for the read

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
www.paypalsucks.com
edit on 5-1-2012 by Highergrounds because: (no reason given)

www.screw-paypal.com...
edit on 5-1-2012 by Highergrounds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
PayPal is one of those services that people love to hate.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google is running some campaign to discredit PayPal in order to increase their Google Checkout service. Now there is a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by K1771gnorance

My surprise was that PayPal requires destruction of an item to process a refund to a buyer.

Another ATS thread in General Chit Chat has additional commentary and anecdotal support of this... www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-1-2012 by surfin4it because: fixed mini-html to embed url

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

DON'T USE PAYPAL , YOU DO KNOW YOU CAN USE BANK TO BANK TRANSFERS ...!

AND YOU CAN PAY A FEE ON BOTH ENDS.

!!
First off, please stop yelling...

secondly, BOA for example charges you $12 to recieve a transfer.. and so will the bank sending it.
so if you used an electronic bank transfer to send $50, to a BOA checking account from any other bank account in the world...it would cost you a total of $74.
$50 + $12 to send, and then another $12 when it hist the BOA account.

Im VERY familiar with this, I have 2 kids in college.

Originally posted by K1771gnorance
I doubt this is true. PayPal is basically an escrow, and from my experience is really good at it. It is not a "little-known" fact that PayPal holds the funds until everything is made right, that is the main feature of PayPal.

If the buyer doesn't like the product, the buyer can ask for the money back, however the buyer will not get their money back until they return the item to the seller. If the seller doesn't get their item back, they can keep the buyers money.

Paypal is not "basically" an escrow, Paypal is a CA liscd. bank. ( and owned by Ebay).
Paypal is one of the WORST banks in history, and one of the most unprofessional merchant service providers I have encountered in my entire 43 years on this earth.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I use paypall to buy small stuff from the net. Never had any problems. Just those delivery services like fedex and such bother me because they give the package to anyone who happens to be at home in our street. (if I'm not at home)
Thanks for mentioning those pre-paid visa cards, I didn't know that existed.

I can understand that they made the buyer destroy the violin, they must have gotten the impression it was a fake.
A terrible mistake ofcourse, if it was an old violin.
Those things are like wine and just get better with age

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

I totally understand regarding 12$ etc, but for the books, next time if and when you travel to a eurozone nation and you happen to be staying at friends, you can actually open an account providing you able to give a residence that has lower rates when transferring from eurozone to the u.s. Don;t ask me why and how, but thats how some us work. Similar to how i actually book flights and hotels from a foreign country regardless if i am resident of that same country i am about to holiday in, it works out that i save over 30% on all costs and the service is much much better, again its one of those mystery's in capitalism.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The buyer is 100% covered whiether a fraud or genuine complaint if they use a credit card or any bank card that uses the ACH subsystem. The seller will only win a dispute IF the buyer drops the complaint or the money was funded by a paypal or bank funds. The unfortunate buyer that used a bank transfer or paypal account funds to pay will likely be told their funds "cannot be recovered from the seller" while taking the funds from the seller's account.

Paypal is a dirty, evil company that has way too much power- virtually the "Internet bank"

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The underlying problem is PayPal has to observe credit card merchant laws, where the buyer has a right to a refund if they are not "satistifed" with the goods.

Generally PayPal requires proof of return of the item to the seller, with tracking number and all. I don't buy the "PayPal told them smash it" claim.

It's likely the seller stated refusal to accept return, which was wrong on the part of the seller if so as by default if the seller refuses to accept return of a disputed item, it may be disposed of by the unsatisfied buyer as they see fit.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
I don't buy the "PayPal told them smash it" claim.

Buyer...

In some circumstances, we may require you, at your own expense ... to provide evidence that the item has been destroyed (if for example, PayPal received evidence that the item in question is a fake, counterfeit or otherwise unauthentic).

paypal.com

Seller...

... because the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed).

paypal.com

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The seller has the right to create a policy of their choosing in regards to any purchase, and if the buyer isn't willing to follow the sellers policies Paypal nor Ebay can force the seller, once a seller has built up their selling feedback satisfactorily, paypal will not hold the sellers money, and ebay will protect their sellers, especially if they are a power seller with a storefront.
Ive been a buyer and a seller since 2002 and i've had the fortunate and unfortunate pleasure in seeing every side of Ebay, paypal, buyers and sellers.

even the justice department has no authority over ebay, so forming a complaint with them over power sellers is blowing air in deaf ears

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join