It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skynet: Hackers Dream Up Censor-Proof Satellite Internet Grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Excuse if posted but searching reveals nothing.

I have never heard of this and was looking for feedback on the topic. HGG ("Hackerspace Global Grid") would give us access to the net when a kill switch was triggered. This will definitely raise concerns where free speech is being trounced on. From China to the US.

Organizers of a project called the "Hackerspace Global Grid" want to launch a network of small, low-orbiting satellites in order to facilitate Internet access that can't be blocked by government censors. The network would also include an array of base stations around the world. The project's developers are excited, but doubters say it's not going to fly.

www.technewsworld.com...

A group of computer enthusiasts have begun working on creating a satellite network that could be used to thwart censorship on the Internet. Called the "Hackerspace Global Grid" (HGG), the network could provide a way for activists to access the Net when a repressive regime suppresses access within its borders.

The network would be based on a number of low orbiting "cube" satellites that would be networked in a way similar to the Internet. If one satellite were to be disabled, for example, its functions could be rerouted to others in the network.

Various amateur and educational organizations -- HAM radio operators, for example -- have found ways to get their cube satellites in orbit, and the hacker grid hopes to use those methods, as well as others, to get its spacecraft in low orbit too, according to Nick Farr, a hacker and accountant who is working on the project.

And of course there are the detractors that would like to see something fail even before it's attempted. Makes me wonder...

"This is the lamest scheme I have ever seen," Richard Stiennon, chief research analyst with IT-Harvest, told TechNewsWorld. "The guys proposing this spouted off way before they put any thought into it," he said. "Give them points for dreaming big, but this project is going to need big dollars." A satellite the size of Sputnik could contain enough equipment to allow text over IP communications along the lines of Twitter, he acknowledged. "But the cost would be over (US)$20 million to launch just one, and you would need almost 100 of them to give good coverage," he said.

I sure hope this catches on with someone having access to mega bucks and a desire to do something for the future of free speech and humanity.

Let's Hope!

Peace

edit on 4-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
$20 million? Not even.

Over 30 personally-owned satellites have been launched in the last 20-25 years that are known of from HAM satellite operators alone.

HAM Satellites

It's not as far-fetched as they are making it out to be...

And I for one hope they go through with it. Ground-based routers are great and all, but to have a global grid set up, satellites seem a necessity.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This is Historical! some of them may laugh, but the truth is that we don't know if there`s some millionaire people around the world supporting these ideas and concepts based merely in freedom and equality. hope we all can support this intention in some way in the future...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Well now, this would put the Internet and Communications above the laws and governments of individual nations or states. No censors...No laws...Just the common sense we're born with and the judgement we learn over the years.

What an outstanding idea! Where do I sign up?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

What an outstanding idea! Where do I sign up?

Stand next to me and I'll put in a good word...

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The satellite would just get shoot down. Does anyone really think that the government would ever allow anything like this. The rocket would had a "problem" on the way up or the satellite would have a "malfunction" once in orbit like getting hit by a high powered ground based laser. It is a nice idea but it will never fly.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Perhaps they could build satellites with advanced materials, say graphene-type mirrors that deflect any incoming lasers? Missiles are a problem but perhaps there's a fail-safe for that as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
. . .

"This is the lamest scheme I have ever seen," Richard Stiennon, chief research analyst with IT-Harvest, told TechNewsWorld. "The guys proposing this spouted off way before they put any thought into it," he said. "Give them points for dreaming big, but this project is going to need big dollars." A satellite the size of Sputnik could contain enough equipment to allow text over IP communications along the lines of Twitter, he acknowledged. "But the cost would be over (US)$20 million to launch just one, and you would need almost 100 of them to give good coverage," he said.

Yeah, there's always some jerk. First of all, this is just this idiot's opinion. I don't know what it is about the idea that he thinks is a threat to him, but that's what his language implies.

With a good push and--most important--follow-through, follow-through, follow-through, it could be done. I for one would be happy to contribute, if it came down to it.

However--and this seems more realistic to me than Richard Stiennon's opinion (above)--I could see the US government declaring it a potential terrorist threat and shooting the damn thing down. Of course, for their purposes, it would be no stretch at all to see it as a terroristic action....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
wow...I never thought about that.....that's awesome....

imagine if we could choose which network to hook up to....the government sanctioned one....or.....the public one....
something truly public....funny it has to be put in orbit so they can't take that away from us.....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

they'd probably shoot it down...

we can still hope!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee

imagine if we could choose which network to hook up to....the government sanctioned one....or.....the public one....
something truly public....funny it has to be put in orbit so they can't take that away from us.....

Kinda like hiding candy from your big brother huh?

Yeah, anything that WE know is good for us and WE want, THEY would find a way to keep us from having it...until they can figure out a way to profit from it.

Remember in the early days of the net? No one wanted anything to do with it. Business, Govt etc didn't care. And then...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
reply to post by newyorkee

they'd probably shoot it down...

we can still hope!

Yup. They'll say something like " It can be used by those nasty terrorists so you can't have it. "

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Organizers of a project called the "Hackerspace Global Grid" want to launch a network of small, low-orbiting satellites in order to facilitate Internet access

Sounds a lot like an internet version of the Iridium satellite phone system.
That is 66 satellites, and it cost so much (6 billion) the company went bankrupt.
After 13 years of operation, they only have 447000 subscribers worldwide, and most of them are the DoD.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
$20 million?? I think not! Never underestimate a man with time to plan in his garden shed! Limited resources are what may drive this plan to fruition.

There's always a cheaper and more efficient way. I hope they succeed and put big government in their place.
edit on 4/1/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
$20 million?? I think not! Never underestimate a man with time to plan in his garden shed! Limited resources are what may drive this plan to fruition.

There's always a cheaper and more efficient way. I hope they succeed and put big government in their place.
edit on 4/1/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

I agree with this.

If it can be conceived and believed, it can be achieved.

That's just who we are!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee

There already are separate networks you can connect to.

Look up .onion or .bit servers/connections.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Violence

Spent my life working with satellites and in satellite communications, the concept of multiple (many) low orbit satellites with routers in them is not new and if the system were to be launched it would probably work fine.
The problem is "jamming" it is very easy to jam satellite communications, just need a high power transmitter a sweep generator and an antenna and the satellite being jammed is useless. There are countries out there right now jamming satellites when programs are downlinked that they don't want their people listening to.
Any third world country can jam a satellite, would be very easy for a major country to do it.

top topics

join