It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

newly discovered deepsea crab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
ok - not some creature from myth and ledgend

but real science discovering adaptations at depths of > 2km in the vicinity of volcanic vents which provide both heat any minerals that are normally absent in the ocean depths

linky to the BBC story

i shudder at the ` unnofficial name ` - but marvel at its habits - co-existing at a density of 600 / m2
edit on 4-1-2012 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

The pressure at that depth is over 3600 PSI. Now that is a lot of pressure, I wonder how many subs can go that deep. They will never be able to bring one top side.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

There you go. pretty weird. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Great! All we need are a bunch of crabs running around volcanic vents going "Hey... Dont mess with the Hoff".

Great find OP. Always cool to see new critters come to light. Irony in the fact that they wait till the end of time to figure out what we have here. Granted, I love knowing what's outside, but I would love to know all that is within as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
how sublime is this really?
a bunch of crabs running around boiling hot exhaust vents?

heaven?

love new species. thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here is some additional information on some of the discoveries related to this crab.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

reply to post by zooplancton

I was thinking the same thing.......crabs that cook themselves.......got butter?
edit on 4-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
That is one crazy crab. A creature that can survive at depths that low, pressures that high, and temperatures like that is bizarre. I wonder what else we will find next!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The real question is... what feeds on those crabs?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Great read. I love reading about stuff like this.

Gotta love the fact that they were named after Hasselhoff! The last pic makes me shudder though...

T. Wade

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
they are kind of creepy but cool. they almost look like giant lice or mites or ticks. I wonder if that has anything to do with their genetic makeup/capabilities...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Oh wow... I heard a few days ago (don't remember where) that there was a newly discovered crab species that had been named after David Hasselhoff because they had hairy chests. But, I just thought they were joking! It's for real! I don't know if I should laugh or roll my eyes, lol. I'm all for new discoveries though... even with weird namesakes, hehe.
edit on 1/13/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

top topics

join