It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK planned to wipe out Germany with anthrax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Link

wow i just stumbled on this,we was going to wipe out the whole population of Germany

AS THE world recoils at the horrific possibility of al-Qaeda terrorists waging anthrax war against United States citizens, the Sunday Herald can reveal that Britain manufactured five million anthrax cattle cakes during the second world war and planned to drop them on Germany in 1944.

The aim of Operation Vegetarian was to wipe out the German beef and dairy herds and then see the bacterium spread to the human population. With people then having no access to antibiotics, this would have caused many thousands -- perhaps even millions -- of German men, women and children to suffer awful deaths.

The anthrax cakes were tested on Gruinard Island, off Wester Ross, which was finally cleared of contamination in 1990. Operation VEGETARIAN was planned for the summer of 1944 but, in the event, it was abandoned as the Allies' Normandy invasion progressed successfully.

MOD NOTE
When posting a story that is from a source please include the following:

The link to the source;
A brief description
A small excerpt ( using ex tags)
YOUR personal opinion

edit on 1/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I remember reading about all the biological and chemical weapons (mainly mustard gas) we were going to use on the Germans in the 2nd world war. We made 100's maybe 1000's tonnes of stuff and then had to find a way to dispose of it when the war finished. Not only that we also had to find a way to dispose of all the nasty stuff the the Germans were planning to use on us!

In the end the government just loaded it into ships all around the coasts of the UK and Europe and sank them. Apparently its all still sitting at the bottom of the sea in barrels slowly leaking out into the environment.

edit on 4-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Apparently its all still sitting at the bottom of the sea in barrels slowly leaking out into the environment.

Ach Ja! Payback is a Bitch

Think about that next time you eat Fish and Chips

All that mercury leaking out of that sunken U-boat of Norway

edit on 4-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
As I recall my history, it was precisely this threat and the full capability to actually DO it that prevented Hitler from using Gas on London in the Blitz...as he was apparently tempted to do. I believe I recall learning about back-channel but clear warnings on that point.

Deterrence works...sometimes. MAD works all the time, if the people involved are sane.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

Here a bit more info in this .

Biological warfare testing Main article: Operation Vegetarian In 1942, during the Second World War, Gruinard was the site of a biological warfare test by British military scientists from Porton Down.[7] At that time there was an investigation by the British government into the feasibility of an attack using anthrax: to test the vulnerability of Britain against a German attack and the viability of attacking Germany with a British bio-weapon.[8] Given the nature of the weapon which was being developed, it was recognised that tests would cause widespread and long-lasting contamination of the immediate area by anthrax spores. In order to limit contamination a remote and uninhabited island was required. After a survey, Gruinard was deemed suitable and was compulsorily purchased from its owners by the British Government.[9]

The UK goverment did the test in scotland and if i remember right
wales as well.

TextAfter the tests were completed, British scientists concluded that a large release of anthrax spores would thoroughly pollute German cities, rendering them uninhabitable for decades afterwards.[7] These conclusions were supported by the discovery that after the biological warfare trials had ended, initial efforts to decontaminate the island failed due to the high durability of anthrax spores. For many years, it was judged too hazardous and expensive to decontaminate the island sufficiently to allow public access. As a result, Gruinard Island was quarantined indefinitely. Visits to the island were prohibited, except periodic checks by Porton Down personnel to determine the current level of contamination.

Guinard Island

Im sure i remember on the news a story about testing anthrax on sheep
a in the 80s on a island off the welsh coast.cant find anything yet.
edit on 4/1/2012 by skuly because: the anthrax sheep eek

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I think they burned the anthrax cakes in England i bet it wasn't very healthy for the people living close by,and yes i recall reading about radio active waste and such been dumped in the sea,some nuclear power plants even pumped waste directly into rivers and streams.and now it is unhealthy to eat large amounts of seafood. like prawns and salmon as they contain quite high levels of mercury and god knows what else,and these foods should be very healthy
edit on 4-1-2012 by TBR47 because: made a typo

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Do you think it was justifiable that we was going to exterminate a race for exterminating another? 2 wrongs don't make a right we would have been just as evil as the Nazis,i think it was a bit extreme what we did to Dresden the whole city in flames a mile high

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Gruinard Island Anthrax Biological Warfare Experiment Great Britain 1942

edit on 4-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

In 1981 British newspapers began receiving messages with the heading "Operation Dark Harvest" which demanded that the government decontaminate the island, and reported that a "team of microbiologists from two universities" had landed on the island with the aid of local people and collected 300 lbs of soil. The group threatened to leave samples of the soil "at appropriate points that will ensure the rapid loss of indifference of the government and the equally rapid education of the general public". The same day a sealed package of soil was left outside the military research facility at Porton Down; tests revealed that it contained anthrax bacilli. A few days later another sealed package of soil was left in Blackpool, where the ruling Conservative Party was holding its annual conference. The soil did not contain anthrax, but officials said that the soil was similar to that found on the island.

Source Wikipedia

Reverse terrorism?
Yeah, we (I am a Brit) certainly know how to look after our countryside.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I know we Brits aren't very eco friendly look what British petroleum recently did to the gulf of mexico.im surprised vegetation still grows in Britain

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
reply to post by skuly

Do you think it was justifiable that we was going to exterminate a race for exterminating another? 2 wrongs don't make a right we would have been just as evil as the Nazis,i think it was a bit extreme what we did to Dresden the whole city in flames a mile high

In war what right tends to go out the window.

Dresden is a good example the city had been untouched for most
of the war because there was no military targets for bomber command
to destroy so was a low priority.

But by the end it was bombed because it was one of the few german citys
left untouched.so about 20,000 people died for no real reason.

Dresden in the 20th century was a leading European centre of art, classical music, culture and science until its complete destruction on 13 February 1945. Being the capital of the German state of Saxony, Dresden had not only garrisons but a whole military borough, the Albertstadt. This military complex, named after Saxon King Albert, was never targeted in the bombing of Dresden. During the final months of World War II, Dresden became a safe haven to some 600,000 refugees, including women, children, and wounded soldiers, with a total population of 1.2 million. Dresden was attacked seven times between 1944 and 1945, and was occupied by the Red Army after German capitulation. The bombing of Dresden by the Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force between 13 February and 15 February 1945 remains one of the more controversial Allied actions of the Western European theatre of war.

Dresden
edit on 4/1/2012 by skuly because: adding bits

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
I know we Brits aren't very eco friendly look what British petroleum recently did to the gulf of mexico.im surprised vegetation still grows in Britain

BP is a multinational company these days. The board of directors are not limited to Britons.

Where I live there are fields as far as the eye can see. Lakes, mountains, wildlife. Tis' a nice place, a green and pleasant land if you will

That's if you look past the gangs of feral kids and boarded up shops

edit on 4/1/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Good for you i live in an over crowded city and my green and pleasant view is blocked by a big ugly raised railway line and a flight path runs directly over my house

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

I was exaggerating a tiny bit, but I do live near the lake district and it's quite rural. I've lived in Cities also but I've always found my way back to a more rural setting?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

I don't actually live very far from the Yorkshire dales,i could peddle there in 20 mins if i wanted to

new topics

top topics

join