It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Scientists Use 'Time Hole' to Make Events Disappear

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Maybe they used to technology to make the plane disappear...You know the one I'm talking about.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
Either only like 5% of the people who posted actually read the article or people around here are more easily blown away than I thought. We're talking about a stream of light distorted for trillionths of a second in a tiny piece of fiber optic cable...and despite the OP's title and the language used in the cited article this has nothing to do with time travel or anything like that. It has to do with distorting our perceptions of light/photons as to render an object effectively invisible. This is cool to be sure, but this is an optics issue not a time travel thing, ok people?

I wish someone could break down exactly what they have accomplished because to be honest I have no idea. Is there a way to "dumb it down" a little and explain what they are trying to accomplish?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
It's almost looks like this is some kind of warning against Iran, Like beware what we are capable off ..?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

First time...?!?! What about the supposed Philadelphia Experiment?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Some of the users here make me giggle, they like to believe in certain things that aren't even based within our reality. People actually think the U.S military is 100 years more advanced than anyone else, how cute is that? Lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Well, I don't think they went down this road to conceal a plane, I think they went down it to conceal stock trades.
This seems to me more about concealing data transfers.

911's data transfers need to be looked at very closely, I'd say. I'm not truther but it seems to me that those might have been a problem that they were looking for a solution to.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Isn't this just bending light? How does this relate to time?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Said it before and will say it again.

If we can do this now...

Imagine what a civilization can do that is even a few hundred years ahead of us...

An Alien biologist could right next to you and you would never have a clue.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea
Isn't this just bending light? How does this relate to time?

In fact light and time are very closely related. Its to do with relativity and the speed of light.

Also for all those that dont fully appreciate the gravity of this break through:

Yes its JUST a fraction of a second
Yes its JUST a fiber optic cable
and Yes its not capable of doing anything useful.....YET

BUT what you seem to be overlooking is the FACT that they did it. AND not only did they do it but they also shared it with the public...A DARPA sponsored project shared with the public???? Why the hell would they release this? Its akin to a man with a laser showing another man how to make fire. The man who has never seen fire cant believe his eyes. The other doesnt care since he has a laser and that will trump fire.

And im sorry but nowhere did i state that this was time travel. I did however state that from a relativistic point of view it would be a form of time dilation. As an EVENT would seem to occur instantaneously IF this technology can be incorporated for macro use.

Again from an outside point of view it would seem like time sped up and from inside it would seem like time slowed down. You slow down light you slow down time im sorry it doesnt get any more simplistic than that.

Black hole anyone?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

They might be ahead of us technologically, but when it comes to the things that really matter, such as morals, ethics & spirituality, they are about a 1000 years behind the rest of us.

edit on 6-1-2012 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Interesting post. Thanks for including the link. However, try to keep to truth in advertising in your headline. They ARE NOT Pentagon scientists. They are Cornell scientists -- physicists, if you will. They, like many academic researchers, get funded by DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. It's non-secret basic research sponsored by the government. No doubt it will be used by the Pentagon if and when it is made practical, but others can make use of this research too. The internet, for example, came about through DARPA funding.

Even the Wired headline is misleading. Doesn't seem a "time-hole" was involved, but rather there was a bending of light around an object.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Good explanation.
From what I gathered from the orig article i saw on this(unable to find ATM)
Its as if their creating an informational blackhole. And whatever happens in this "bubble" seems to happen in a seperate,, albeit extremely temporary universe, for all intents an purpose, as you recieve no information about what happened, but you would experience the outcome.
Very cool stuff.

But i have a feeling if the US govt ever has time travel to the past, then we'll never get ahead as we will always be going back in time to fix the unintended consequences of our previous time travelling actions. XD

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

what about the noise wouldnt that be
a dead giveaway to military action

edit on 6/1/2012 by maryhinge because: spell check

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

do you think its true that when the ship reappeared
that some crew members were fused into the ship
or has that part of it been debunked already

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

what about the noise wouldnt that be
a dead giveaway to military action

edit on 6/1/2012 by maryhinge because: spell check

I would assume anything that can slow light will do the same to sound as well. seeing as sound travels much much slower than light. So no the sound would not be a dead giveaway because it would be in synch with the slow light.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
S&F 4 you! This is amazing... I wonder if time travel can be developed out of the temporal displacement? I will read the article but I don't have time now.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Does this kind of technology have some relation with that Meta material technology ?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

More than that, given the fact that this is a temporal cloaking of the event, according to an external observer, the sound would never have happened. So, to answer the question: what sound?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by 31Bravo

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

This is heavy doc.

OK Time (if you havent guessed by now) is one of those things im fascinated with.

If im reading this article correctly what i think they have achieved(even for a split second) is to create a warp in observable reality.

You're not reading it correctly. It is referring to bending light around an object essentially making the object (or wearer) appear invisible a.k.a Cyber-Optic Camouflauge. Good examples of that would be movies like "The Ghost in the Shell" or Predator 1,2, and 3. I don't think is has anything to do with time warping.

ETA: Sorry if someone has already pointed this out and I'm answering late on this.

Good find

edit on 4-1-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

no im pretty sure i read it correctly.

The invisibility is a result of the outside observer not seeing whats going on inside the field because of a slowing down of time. It is NOT like predator as this is about cloaking an "Event" which is not specifically related to an object but time around the object. have a look at some of the other explanation on the thread.

You are absolutely right my friend.. I saw this article on a MSM site the very next day and tried to get on my phone to correct my post
Ah well.. sorry

edit on 6-1-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

ha so bending light can turn sound off
not for me sorry
can you prove this with some top scientists
quote and a link
many thanks

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join